Friday, July 31, 2015

Race Week....updating daily.... Updated with photos

RACE WEEK   ( July 27th - Aug. 1st)  





Monday—-   6 Days. I’m six days out from Boulder. I leave in two days, I’ll be in Boulder on Wednesday afternoon. I can’t wait. I wish i was there now. It’s very hard to focus on work, and on getting everything ready.  When I left work today, I got caught in a Severe Thunderstorm watch. I end up running home, and got completely soaked.  Then because i had a list of things to do, I changed and headed out in the storm to get my oil changed, but last minute stuff for the dogs, for me. And I came home and got on my last bike ride.  And I heard that NOISE AGAIN!!!  And I FINALLY figured out what it was!!  HA HA!!  my seat post was wiggling.  After a few cranks with the torque wrench. Dammed if the noise didn’t stop.  Ha.     I finished the night out by running to the store to get last minute things at Target, then home to do my packing. I know I”m packing more than I need, but I learned better to have extra, then not enough.  I’m mostly packed, so tomorrow, I can go enjoy my massage, get in my swim. and come home to finish packing and get ready to leave on Wednesday!  


Tuesday-  Woke and off to work I went. Then I was done. I’m now officially on Vacation until next Friday? I don’t remember the last time I had that many days off in a row.  I’m still not absorbing it quite yet.  As I’m focused on getting what I need done.   I zipped home, and then ran over to get a massage. I admit, I’m having a lot of leg pain again. Reminiscent of my SI Joint back in May.  Radiating down the leg.  So my massage therapist, spent a long time working on my left leg. And I’m happy to report when I walked out, about 80 % of the pain was gone. Now to just relax and keep it under control and ready to go for Boulder.   I got home, and ran over to get in my last swim at the Y. Then realized it was my “last” swim there. As I’m leaving Billings in Aug. and closing out my membership there. I also was so focused on getting the Y , that I forgot my Garmin, So I  swam my laps old school way counting laps.  Then I packed up my locker, put in my notice and headed home.  It was a great place to train, and I will miss that hot tub after my workouts.  Once home, I finished packing, got the Escape loaded up the best I could and off to bed I went.  


Wednesday- I woke up around 6:30 ish, and got finished packing the Escape, and on the road just before 8 am.  It was an uneventful drive, except for sporadic bursts of wind that try to push my Escape off the road. But other then that, I arrived into Boulder around 5 ish. Got the dogs settled into my cool rental. This time I’m right down on Pine St. Its a cool little rental, and I managed to get a really nice fenced in yard for the dogs. All it’s missing is twinkle lights, and it’d be perfect!    I then headed out on a nice 40 min shake out run. I ran down to the race venue and saw the booths setup, and jumped on the run course and just went easy. My leg felt better. It still hurt, but not horrible. I’m not going to lie though, it has me nervous for the Race. My heart wants this so bad to have a solid race. I am putting a lot of pressure on myself, and I know I just need to relax and let it go, and have fun.  I may act calm and under control. But inside, I’m  really freaking out.   Once back from the run, I got cleaned up and met up with a new friend for dinner, had an amazing meal, and found a new favorite bottle of wine.  And well, dessert lest just say was insanely huge(see photo).  I had a few bites, and it ended up being two rich for my blood. More scary was the fact that about 1/2 later, it still had barely melted.  But it was a great dinner with  great company.  Back to the rental to relax for the rest of the night.  











Thursday— Woke up to a sunny day. I had some what of a headache from the wine. But I discovered a new hangover cure, Rocket Fuel!  Yep, That stuff can be sold for that handy little tidbit of info. I downed a full bottle, got moving around and off on my 50 min bike ride for today.  I was also sporting my comfy Base Performance Cycling Kit. I’ve had to train in my race kit for training, but it was nice to switch it up. I ended up biking right from my rental, and up on some of the course and then did a loop through the first part of the ride. I have to say.  I felt good. I felt excited to ride the full course. I wanted to go ride the full course, for fun. This is a good thing. I’m excited to ride the course, The nerves about riding were conquered somewhat on this little shake out ride. I ended up riding over my required time by a bit, but I was so relaxed and enjoying myself, I didn’t really care.  On the return ride back to my rental, some reality hit. I was riding the finish part of the course, the last stretch that ride you back to the finish line at the school.  I cannot lie, I got a bit emotional, as we know, I didn’t make it that far last year. I missed it by 10 measly miles.  10 miles.  Now I know what it feels like. Now I know, there is no way in hell, i’m going to have that problem again.  I will finish this time.   Back at the rental, I got cleaned up, and ran into town to pick up some food and essentials.  Then over to the race expo to pick up my race packet, backpack, and officially get signed in.  Race band is on, and it’s official! 
Zipped back to the rental, and headed out to the Airport to pick up my teammate. It was so great to be reunited with one of my AZ 13 buddies!!  We had a great relaxing night, grilling, and hanging out catching up on the last two years.  














Friday-  Today is my Day Off!!!  I don't have to work out!!  I tried really hard to sleep in, because I won’t get much on race night, or probably the night before.  So, While I’m relaxing, here i am updating. Agenda for today….

  1. Race meeting at 11 AM
  2. Relax/nap
  3. Ceremony at 6-8 ish
  4. Pick up Coach at the Airport at 10. 
  5. Bed


It’s going to be a low key day today. It’s starting to get real. I seem to be getting more calmer since my ride yesterday. I ran across this quote today, I like it: 


Don’t be afraid. You needn’t slay the beast or scale the entire mountain. That’s not how it’s done. You only need to move through today.  Think of the distance you’ve already covered. Focus on your strengths. Let each new step remind you of your freedom. Let your every breath remind you of your power. Seek out friends and guides; they’re anxious to help. You’re Not alone. You’re Understood. This road has been walked before. Dance Life’s Dance, just a few steps at a time, and in the wink of an eye you will wonder to yourself, “What beast, what mountain? Was I having a dream?” 


Rumor has it the water temp is warming up to non wetsuit legal.  I’ll be wearing if it’s is or not, all it does is switch up where I’ll be starting during the race. At the 1:30 corral, or at the back of the pack.  

I got a nice email today from Medic Dan who was on course last year, and was in my "finisher photo". He wanted to tell me he was not able come to the race this year, and was wishing me good luck! And that I better Hydrate :)  Bummed I  won't have the chance to high him at the finish line or on the bike course. Very sweet of him to touch base with me.

                                This was last years "Finisher Photo" at bike mile 102.  


Freaked out reading the weather on my phone. Looked up Billings by accident, Thank Goodness it's not that hot!!!



Oh.....Ran down to the Expo with my teammate Mike for Athlete Meeting and to get his bike and get him checked in. We now are ready to go!!  Back to the rental, off for a quick lunch. Home for a nice little 2 hour nap. Woke to a raging headache...:(   I'm instilling all my headache tricks and waiting patient for it to  go away. Stomach is a bit upset also....good old elevation and sinuses.  Grrrrrrrrrr......






Gear Bags are packed, bike is numbered.  It's kick back time.

Kahlua "guarding" my special needs bag. 





Relaxing this afternoon, then down to Ceremony for the evening, back to the rental. Relaxed for an hour or so, then off to pick up Coach Jillian.  Home , in bed by 12.  Good thing I took several naps through the day!!






Saturday-- woke around 6:30AM. Got to the Rez for the swim practice for  a nice swim. Water felt wonderful,  water temp  was 75 degrees.  Hears praying for a wetsuit legal swim. It's looking good so far.    Back to the rental we go and finish up getting the gear bags ready to take to T1 and T2.  Head out on our 40 min ride to the Rez and get there. Bike Racked.  Bike Gear Bag dropped off.  Then, waited for Mike to get his Garmin/Stages Power Meter fixed.  Headed down to T2, got our Run Gear Bags checked in. Over to the expo for a few things for coach, and stopped by the Base Salt booth real quick to say Hi to The Salt Guy...Matt Miller.    Off to lunch at Zeals for a yummy lunch. To the store to pick up a few last minute things to grill for dinner tonight with the team, then relax.   I can only speak in bullet points right now. I'm to nervous to do much else. I'll come back after the race and clean this up if I can.






















                                                                My Mantra
                                                             My motivation
                                                        Representing Base




I'm 12 hours away from my race.   Holy. Shit.   Bring It.      I've. Got. This. 

No comments:

Post a Comment