Monday, July 27, 2015

Taper Week… There is nothing more to say…



This is my Journey into the World of Ironman. It's my journal/documentation of the ups and downs of what it takes to be an age-group athlete training for an Ironman triathlon. This is more of a way for me to remember what I am doing over the course of the training season, as any Ironman Athlete can tell you, sometimes the days can blur into one training day of swim, bike, run after another. So, while some may not find this at all interesting, those that wonder...could I do an Ironman? Do I have what it takes to do an Ironman? I give you a peek into my journey and days to complete my next Ironman.  Forgive any misspelled words/awkward sounding sentences. I'm pretty happy just to get them down on paper. Consider it a test of your mental skills to figure out what I'm saying. Hope you enjoy reading my journey.  I'll see you at the Finishline!!!

   
Current Training Totals:

Swim       91,750 yds             37:34 hr/min

Bike       1595.44  Miles       118:55 hr/min

Run         394.19  Miles         83:26 hr/min

Other/                                     31:45 hr/min
Strength




Overall  Training Time:       271:40 hr/min


Monday—  Oh, I woke today….euphoric. That’s the best word I can describe. That or HYPER!!  I went into work with the most energy I think I’ve had in months.  And I think I scared a few people with how HYPER I was. It was a bit challenging to stay on task today. And I would go as far as to say, I felt a little ADHD.  I even got in a giggle fit at lunch. I”m not really sure when I had the last one of those…It’s been years.  I waited for the crash,  and it didn’t come. Then I got home from work, and slooooowly calmed down. A nap was in order, then I got on my bike for my 50 min ride and my run for a 1 2 3 set. Both of these workouts I remember doing in the middle/beginning of my training.  They felt hard.   Today, they felt…..easy.  Smile. 


Tuesday—  Well, today I was TIRED.  I had to keep getting up and moving to stay awake. I got home, did some cleaning, a small nap, then off to swim. I felt ok, but tired.  Nothing exciting. Then off to the store to pick u some things, and last minute stuff for Boulder next week.  


Wednesday—- Woke later than planned this morning. Took my resting heart rate…..50.  When I started training back in Feb. it was 58.  I’m good with this. :)  Got up, got gear and everything around, and out the door for a easy 3:30 ride. I was tired, My legs felt  heavy, effects I’m sure of not riding last week. And the wind had kicked up pretty good, The garmin says only 9 mph, but it was faster than that. I got some good crosswind/headwind/tailwind training today. And it got hotter, was 87 when i finished the ride.  I was HOT. I was feeling a little dazed. Noticing that I HATED my hot drinks.  New Plan,, find a way to get cold drink in Bike special needs bags.  I got some ideas, I’ll be working on them.  Got home, and then jumped on the trainer real quick to get in my easy 20 mintues. Then I was done.   Relaxed out side to try and even up some tan lines, then shower and talked with my recuiter briefly about next assignments…..AZ, UT, Alaska. Oh possibilities….Then I called home, talked with parents for a bit. was going to go see a movie, but oops…well deserved nap I guess.  




...there was that time when you thought it was going to work out perfectly, when you gave it your best shot....when you did everything that you knew to do...and then it just didn't work out.
...that time it didn't work can leave a stain on every single thing you ever try to do in the future, or that time can just be a learning experience that fuels you to move forward and do new things, try new ways, and polish up that old way that was always a good way.
...today we could all just go in circles of procrastination because we are afraid of failing...
or, we could BEGIN AGAIN.
...let's begin again....move forward....get up, dust ourselves off....and head straight for that place that we want to be....one step after the other....
xoxo



Thursday—-  HOW is it that I’m SOOOOO TIRED!!!  I think I remember this from last year, but my body is tired.  I know it’s all the adjustment to less volume of training, but man, I . FEEL. LIKE. A. SLUG.  That being said, I still have decent times on my workouts. Woke early today to get to the pool to get in my 50 minutes, then because I don’t have a really flat place to run. I jumped on the treadmill to get in my last long run.   Then, I got a Massage.  AHHHHHHH. Except she switched things up and did some more active release type of massage, and it aggravated my back a little. I feel better after a few hours, but I am sore. But I also realize I went two weeks with out a massage and my body really needed it. 


Friday— I woke and headed into work. I was you guessed it, tired.  I got done and headed home, got in a nice walk with the pups, but not to much cause the heat was up there. Then I got a nice nap in before heading off to swim.  Lead, I felt like Lead.  I couldn't’ focus, but I was at least consistent with my laps.   Self Doubt is trying to creep in. GO AWAY!!


Saturday- Woke up, back was really sore this morning, but once I got moving then it felt better, I slept on it wrong, and my shoulder, so that was a bit achey. Actually if I’m honest, it was achy during my swim last night,  my left one, not my right one.  Boo.    Home from work, got to watch Iron Cowboy finish his 50 Ironmans, in 50 States, in 50 days!!!  that was pretty darn inspiring to watch.   Got on my bike, felt tired.  Did I mention tired??    Got in my workout. and then cooked some chicken on the grill with salad.     I can’t believe I'm 7 days out from IM Boulder.  I keep freaking out every now and then, I start having lots of self doubt, mainly with the weather, the heat, the bike. The run. Basically everything.  But I’m ready. I know I’m Ready.  I’ve Got This. 




Sunday-  I Am exactly one week out from starting my race.  I though it was fitting that I slept through my alarms and woke at 6:31 AM.  A min after the start of my race next week.    I got into work, I got work done. I came home.   I got on the treadmill and hammered out my 1:15 hr. All the while I was following my coach and teammates racing in Whistler Canada. I  would of been doing that race this year if I had not DNF’d Boulder.  I watched these amazing friends, battle a entire day of rain. Two got a PR, on a tough course, in the rain. I was Inspired! Truly Inspired, and now motivated. I have some work to do.  It’s my turn now to go get what I want. I want REDEMPTION, and I want a respectable time for me. I’m going to give it my all. Not that I haven’t in the past, but I”m definitely going to be even more focused on this race. I still play on enjoying the journey and the moment. It’s going be even sweeter this time.   I keep having mood swings from crying to freaking out, to focused and determined and confident. It’s all over the map. But what it comes down to, is , I. Am. Ready.  I’ve Got This.  





No comments:

Post a Comment