Sunday, November 6, 2011

Week Eleven: Ironman Training Week October 31th- Nov 6th , 2011

What I hope to document here is my 13 Week Journey to my first Ironman Race. I’m not sure exactly how I’m going to do this. I may do it in a quick journal format with my random thoughts…which may be more for me than anyone else and not to exciting to read, but if your ever considering doing an Ironman or even just a triathlon…then you can read about what goes through my mind in the training process. Highs, lows, emotions, fears, rants, etc., etc. Enjoy!  PS:  Forgive any spelling mistakes as I’m sure I’m just happy to get it written down…chalk it up to fatigue from lots of training J

Monday-  Well, I’m back in the game and getting my rhythm back slowly. I had a good swim today. Just an easy 45 minutes and then an hour run which felt really good, I was able to go race pace within my Zone 1-2. So for me that is going to be somewhere between 10-12 min. miles and my marathon will be around 5:21 hours.   My run was a good booster to my confidence. I just relaxed and tried out some mental tricks. The one that I read from Mark Allen, “just go between the space between two thoughts”. So I just focus on the movement of my body, one foot in front of the other. Swimming----stroke, form, technique.  Took my bike in for a last tune up today. I got a new CO2 pump/hand pump combo attached to my bike, extra tubs,  extra Ho Ha Ride Glide travel packs for my ride, and a few other things for race day.
Tuesday- Picked up my bike after work today and headed over to Coyote Springs Rd. This is my nice ride that is rolling hills and five miles long. I didn’t have much time, as it was getting on dark and I had to change in the car (that is becoming the norm now for me! LOL)  I got on my bike and did a warm up with a 20 min ride in the middle in Zone 3. Had some good wind, so was able to focus on that for race day. Finished at dusk, was a little too dark for my blood, but I got it done, and that road is the safest in my opinion when it comes to cars being aware of cyclists. I bless every one of them who slows down and goes around me.
Wednesday-   Today I was feeling a bit tired, but I’m hydrating as best I can, I’m eating healthy with my super greens, fresh fruit and lean meats, salads. I’m feeling good.  Headed to Y after work and got in my run was an easy 30 min run before my swim, which I usually don’t do. Then to the swim, my body was tired, but  I’m  still consistently now getting in about 2000 yds at 45 min, which is awesome, cause that means I’m on a pace for 1:30 hr for the race, but I anticipate that I’m going to have some freak out moments in the water, so I’m going to say I’ll be between 1:30 and 1:50. Which still gives me a 30 min cushion for the cut off time.  I think that gives me the most nerves about the swim, but I’ve been doing mental training every night, visioning the swim, and I am feeling more comfortable every day.  
Thursday- Rest Day!  Was looking forward to this day all week!  I ran some errands, came home and I got in a nice nap for an hour or so. I just vegged out and recovered. Trying to go to bed earlier every night then I usually do, and it’s paying off.  A bit nervous about how I’m going to get in my Saturday workout of 7:15 hours as it’s forecasted for snow tomorrow and I have a 4:30 hour ride with a high of 47 degrees. I don’t have any cold weather gear so I’m on the hunt for a bike trainer to borrow that won’t wear out my tires. I am telling myself to just relax, it will all workout and not stress about it as I have been.
Friday-    Okay so even though I  can’t find a bike trainer, I’ve still got mine, and I’m in that mind set now that I’m going to go with the flow, don’t worry about  expectations that are high for training.  I got on the trainer tonight for an easy 1 hour ride. Only got in about 10 miles, but I don’t like to push it due to protecting my tires. Maybe that needs to be on my wish list then next few years.  I’m sure I have a spare 400$ lying around! LOL. 
I’m actually excited to do my long workout tomorrow. I’m excited to see what my body can do, and compare it to my Half Ironman I did back in August, just 11 weeks ago!  Wow, really ? It was only that short time ago? Feels like forever with all my training.  I am using this workout as a way to test out my nutrition, my fitness, to see where I might land during my Ironman. I’m excited to do it, I don’t have any nerves like I usually do for the long workouts, and I think that will help.. And I get to sleep in! I’m really excited about that, giving myself that little treat. I’m in the mental zone that tomorrow the whole day is dedicated to training for 7:15 hours. Let’s see how it goes!
Saturday-  I woke up relaxed today, actually slept in more then I planned, and had to force myself to get out of my warm bed. I got some coffee, and a few Pop tarts (high carbs J) and I headed off the Y for the start of my day. I had this controlled calm feeling since Thursday, and a desire to really use this workout to my advantage for training, but yet, just have fun. So that’s what I did. First I had a 1:15 hr swim. My workout was a 500 warm-up, 8 x200 and then 10x100 and cool down. I got in 3400 yds, just 800 yds shy of the total race distance, and I once again kept it within my race pace and got that time in at 1:20 min.  J I like that. What I didn’t like is that my right shoulder is giving me trouble. I’m going to have to be careful, and unfortunately I’m going to probably have to get another shot in it for pain.  After the swim I got on the treadmill for 45 min and put in a good race pace at 10-12 min/mile for 45 min. I decided that since I was here, I was going to do some of my run. Out of Brick order I realize, but I also made no expectations on order if I had too. Pressure off.  So I finished leaving myself another 45 to run off the bike. I headed over to High Gear where I almost picked up a pair of thermal bike tights, which was nixed when they said I couldn’t return them even if I tried them out on my bike with bike shorts. So I headed home debating what I was going to do about riding..in or out?  The plan was to do bike shorts, long running tights, and my wind barrier jacket which I know would keep me warm. What happen was after further debating, I thought about how I need to show up to the race healthy and rested, so I decided to error on the side of caution and hit my trainer to prevent any possible sniffles/cold that I could get. I expected that I wouldn’t have a fast time on the trainer, again, I went for getting in the time. I only got 21 miles for 2 hrs on the trainer, before I had to stop. My shoulder was KILLING ME!!  I mean….no matter how I shifted, I had pain in aero position, almost rotator cuff pain (it’s been hard to put on my sport bras and pull stuff over my headL ). So I stopped and opted to go jump on the bike at the clubhouse to take pressure off my shoulder. It worked, and I was going at a 18 mph pace, granted it was on a seated bike, but I got the last 2 :30 hr of time in and got in 46 miles.   I had some minor tweaking in my right knee, but I got it done. Then I jumped back on the treadmill and finished out my last 45 mins. I finished my run at 7. 5 miles, My nutrition was good, I used my Stash bars,  Uncrustables ( peanut butter/jelly sandwich---Thank you Jodi and her hubby for introducing those to me) , water and Coke. I can only imagine what the other people working out watching me chug a Coke and eating PBJ while biking and running! LOL!!!  I finished feeling STRONG.!!! That boosted my confidence hugely!! I was faster then I was 11 weeks ago at my Half Ironman and did more distance on the swim and bike.
Overall, this workout was a very big confidence booster in knowing several things. 1. My endurance and fitness is better and I’ve put in the time and training 2. My mental exhaustion back in Week 9, was a good thing, I got a chance to just stop, rest and recovery, take a break to refocus on what I what to do and recharge.  3.  The fact that I feel good after doing basically another Half Ironman with a better pace….Is AWESOME!!  My recovery is better, my nutrition was better. 4. My confidence and drive has returned and I’m enjoying it again.
What is the most exciting?
 I’m less nervous and more excited to do for my IRONMAN. This is where my mental game should be at. I’m doing this to challenge myself, to prove to myself that “ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE”.  And what is even more exciting? 

Sunday-   Today was an easy five miles for my one hour run.  What completely got me on this run was that my Avg HR was 129.  I felt like that wasn’t right, but I felt pretty relaxed…so maybe it was correct on my Garmin.   In my opinion, it’s the OFFICAL START of my taper.  In two weeks at 7 am I will be starting my IRONMAN!!!  How Awesome is that?  If you would have told me that two weeks ago during Week 9 with my breakdown, I would be completely freaking out. Today I’m in a calm state, excited, relaxed. Knowing from yesterday’s workout, that although I know there will be pain and fatigue, I have what it takes to do this, and I have the confidence to do it, and finish my first IRONMAN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment