Sunday, November 13, 2011

Week Twelve: Ironman Training Week November 7th – November 13th, 2011

What I hope to document here is my 13 Week Journey to my first Ironman Race. I’m not sure exactly how I’m going to do this. I may do it in a quick journal format with my random thoughts…which may be more for me than anyone else and not to exciting to read, but if your ever considering doing an Ironman or even just a triathlon…then you can read about what goes through my mind in the training process. Highs, lows, emotions, fears, rants, etc., etc. Enjoy!  PS:  Forgive any spelling mistakes as I’m sure I’m just happy to get it written down…chalk it up to fatigue from lots of training J

Taper week BABY!! That’s what this week is!! I am on the home stretch! I’ve got so many emotions going on inside me right now, it’s insane. But somewhere in that, I’ve developed a sense of …..Focused Calm.  It’s like I have switched into racing mode. I want to focus on what needs to be done before the race, get in a lot of rest, recovery, healing, relax  and have a little fun and avoid the nerves, the freak out moments, the negative self talk. So that is what I did this week.  I’ve been reviewing race strategies, mental imagery,  positive self talk, etc.
My training for the week was only 8 hours. That’s my typical recovery weeks. Nice. I got in my full workout on Monday. Tuesday, I got a shot in my right shoulder as it’s really gotten to the point where it’s hurting pretty good. I find myself trying not to use my right arm lately if I don’t have to. When I finished work,  I was feeling a bit tired, so I took my training books advise, It’s better to do to little then too much on taper weeks, and also wanting to give my arm a few days rest, so I got in a nice long nap.  J   Wednesday I got in my easy 30 min run. But what was more exciting about this day is that I went to hear Tricia Downing speak.  She is a world class para athlete. Who did an IRONMAN from her chair. It was a pretty inspiring night, she was a great speaker, and I was memorized by her story. I also got an autographed book by her (see previous post of picture!)  She will be one of my inspirations when I am hurting during the race, and want to quit, I’ll remember her and how she overcame the odds, she was tough enough!  And I know that I am as well, and I am going to do this!!! I will do this!!
Thursday and Friday were days off. I spent a lot of time running around and getting some last minute things ready, so I only got a chance Friday night to veg out like I wanted to. Saturday was my last big workout.   I actually slept in and didn’t get to the pool until 9 am. I think it’s been more due to that fact that it’s been cold. I got in my workout scheduled, but also had some issues with my shoulder still. It was bugging me pretty good by the end of the workout.  But I have faith that it will get me through the race, and all the adrenaline pumping through my veins will be on overload, so I won’t even really think about it during the mass swim with all the arms and legs flying! I’ll be more focused on relaxing, form and not drowning! LOL  which of course won’t happen with my wetsuit that I’ll be wearing.  I next did my two hour bike workout, which was in 50s degrees and 15 mph winds, which was a good thing, cause I’m not really sure what the official temp will be. So far the rumor is 66 with 30% chance of rain and 8 mph wind. I’ll take it. That would be pretty good temps for me to race, but I’ll have to change up my wardrobe. I was planning on a sleeveless top. But now I think my race outfit will by my short sleeve top.  Here are my two choices for race day for racing outfits. I will officially know more by Friday, as to which I pack in my gear bags.

Then I got in my 2 hour run.  Felt good coming off the bike and I managed to get in 10 ½ miles. I was happy with that, It puts me right on track with my projected racing time. I’m excited to get it in. I spent the rest of the night relaxing and recovering. I even slept in for the first time in a long time until 10 am.  My body was in need of sleep and recovery. I finished up today with an 1:15 hr bike easy again due to yesterday’s workout. Now I officially don’t have a workout over one hour from here to race day!! That’s what these last two weeks are all about. Rest, Recovery, Healing the body from all the hard workouts, and getting ready to go for the race. One week from today!!! WOW!! I never thought it would get here, but it is almost here! I’m so excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment