Saturday, November 19, 2011

Week Thirteen: Ironman Training Week November 14th – November 19th , 2011 and Race Weekend!

NOTE:  I Have photos to post, but won't get them up til after the race. See you in 140.6 Miles!!
What I hope to document here is my 13 Week Journey to my first Ironman Race. I’m not sure exactly how I’m going to do this. I may do it in a quick journal format with my random thoughts…which may be more for me than anyone else and not to exciting to read, but if your ever considering doing an Ironman or even just a triathlon…then you can read about what goes through my mind in the training process. Highs, lows, emotions, fears, rants, etc., etc. Enjoy!  PS:  Forgive any spelling mistakes as I’m sure I’m just happy to get it written down…chalk it up to fatigue from lots of training J

So here it is, my last week before Ironman. It’s such a bittersweet moment. I’ve been training for it for 9 plus months. I’ve done the work, I’ve done the training. It’s now just enjoying the rest of the journey and following my plan. I had barely 3 hours of training this week. Because of that, I’ve been in a controlled calm state. Until Tuesday that is!!  From then on, I’ve been excited, and full of energy!  I got in an easy run Monday and Tuesday. I was off work starting on Wednesday, which was really good, cause I got in some good rest, slept in both Wednesday and Thursday until 10 am.  I don’t expect to get any sleep the night before the race, my nerves will be too high.  Thursday, I spent packing my stuff, not knowing exactly what I need, I packed everything I possible might have needed, as you can see below.  Did I mention that I’ll be non-reflective on race weekend!! The braces are off for now. But they go back on next week! 


FRIDAY
Friday I had the day off and drove down to Tempe.





Ironman Expo area, just like I remembered it. Lots of excitement, activity, very toned bodies.  Got some Ironman goodies, checked in and I am wearing my wristband.


Went to the Athlete Banquet Friday night and listened to a great show by Mike Riley, statistics of the race. There are 70% men, to 30% women racing. The oldest?    74    Youngest?    18.  Most races?    62    Over 1000 are doing the race for the first time.  There are 2800 athletes  racing AZ IRONMAN 2011.   DNF rate?   Less then 5%.   We then got to the Athlete meeting to review rules for the swim, bike and run. And then I headed back to the hotel.


Next up….Special needs bags.  I got five of them.


Swim to Bike Bag.

Bike Special Needs Bag  (60 miles in to bike)

Bike to Run Bag.

Run Special Needs Bag. (13 miles into run)



 I filled them and dropped them off this morning.  And somehow I got lucky enough to be right in the front of both transitions with my race number 401. Then, I’m right next to the Pro racers!! How cool is that!! Even though, they will be gone out of transition. It’s still pretty cool!


 But, I think I got everything I need.  I still have the opportunity to put anything else in them tomorrow.  I will do one last check tonight.   


Weather Report:  73 degrees, Mostly Sunny , Winds 11 mph
Do to that report; this will be my Official Race Outfit:    

Make sure I wear sunblock; it’s going to be toasty!!!

SATURDAY

So when I woke up this morning, I ordered breakfast from the hotel. Which was pretty good. Then the nerves got to me. I almost threw up my breakfast, and then I also locked myself out of my hotel room in my PJ’s.  Thanks so much to the sweet housekeeper who helped me back in my room so I didn’t have to walk down to the lobby.   This morning was a practice swim at Tempe Town Lake.  After much consideration, I decided that I needed to skip  the morning practice swim. I think it only was going to add to my nerves, and I needed to just visualize and focus.   Also, I have my shoulder still bugging me and would rather use it for the race.  So today was about getting my bike and gear bags to the race site and check in by 3pm.  When I got there, I watched some of the swim on the way, and am glad I didn’t do it. I think I just want to get in that water once and go for it, let my shoulder do it once and not freak out more then I have too.
 Ran and got a few more things at the race site, then ran out to pick up a few last minute things.  Drove the Bike course and I’m happy to say only a few hills!!! AWESOME!!


I got a chance to call home and got lots of good lucks from the family. All my nieces and nephews wished me good luck. Mom and Dad had told me then sent out cards to me, one for every day this week. But I only received one in the mail before I left. So I’ll have some waiting when I get home!  They sent me a Starbucks care for “recovery”. Oh how well they know me!  I already have a request for one to be waiting at the hotel after the race to get me there!

On the way back to the hotel,  I got stuck in traffic.  I remembered what the nice (and cute) guy who ran over from the parking lot to help me walk my bike across the bridge and to transition, told me it was the ASU/U of A game tonight.  (Think Michigan /Michigan State weekend.)  I learned that when the score a touchdown…fireworks.  I’m not going to get much sleep tonight I think!  SCORE!!!  So far they must be up by a touchdown and extra point! LOL
Borrowed my friends Garmin for race day so I can track my full mileage from start to finish ( thank you Dave). And had dinner delivered to me thanks to the great kindness of a friend ( thank you another Dave). And now I am sitting here relaxing, listening to music and going over race strategy for tomorrow. Completing all my last minute details.   All I can really say is….   BRING IT ON!! I AM READY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment