Sunday, October 30, 2011

Week Ten: Ironman Training Recovery Week October 24th- 30th , 2011

What I hope to document here is my 13 Week Journey to my first Ironman Race. I’m not sure exactly how I’m going to do this. I may do it in a quick journal format with my random thoughts…which may be more for me than anyone else and not to exciting to read, but if your ever considering doing an Ironman or even just a triathlon…then you can read about what goes through my mind in the training process. Highs, lows, emotions, fears, rants, etc., etc. Enjoy!  PS:  Forgive any spelling mistakes as I’m sure I’m just happy to get it written down…chalk it up to fatigue from lots of training J

This week was about chillin and not getting so caught up in times, and schedules and getting so damm anxious if I wasn't able to follow a schedule to the T. It isn't much of an exciting read, but then maybe that means I achieved my goal.
Okay…well I used this week to slowly get back in the game. Basically, I did my workouts and just forgot about Ironman to help me regroup a bit. I didn’t really let myself dwell too much on training and just got back to that feeling of wanting to get in a good workout. So Monday was an easy swim at the Y. My shoulder is hurting again…what else is new. So I did my workout with the pull buoy and anytime I started to get negative, I just brought up the saying that I read from Mark Allen, a 6 x Ironman Champ. He said he was taught to ‘go to the space between two thoughts.”  So just go to where you can quiet your mind, and just focus on one foot in front of the other, one pedal in front of the other, one stroke at a time. Don’t think about where you are, the time. Just go to that “space”.  It helped. So I did that workout. I did a nice fun  4 mile run with Nicole on Tuesday, back to when we did our regular Tuesday runs, and just chatted and relaxed, it was fun!  Wednesday, I made a road trip to Pearl Izumi in Phx and returned some clothing, but also bought some more for my race outfit. I may be closer to what I’m going to be wearing, still putting the final touches on it. 
            Thursday, I went for my massage, and ironically my therapist said its’ the tightest I’ve ever been, and the least amt of training I’ve done in 6 months. Go figure. But it felt good.  Friday was my day off. And I took advantage of just veggin out and doing nothing. It was quite nice. Saturday was a fun day as I noticed that Friday night my tire was flat, and so when I got home I had an hour ride scheduled. I decided if I changed the tire, I’d go out for an hour. First time changing my tire on my bike, I can see why I’ve had such luck with my tire, as its very hard rubber and it doesn’t give much, especially when you are changing your tire. It took me about 10 min to change it out. The blowing up part took over an hour.  So, I setup my CO2 cartridge and it’s refill nozzle and it wouldn’t fill the tire.  Then as I’m trying for the second time, the rubber sealer BLEW OFF And flew across the room. I think after further investigation, I had the tire nozzle closed so it couldn’t fill. So, I fix that, and then proceeded to pump up my tire with air. Whoosh, Whoosh, Whoosh. Was all I was getting. No air was going in. After 15 min of frustration. I walked away. Pleaded for help from a fellow Tri buddy for a pump and came back. After a few more Whooshes, I realized that one part of the tire seemed to be making the noise as well. Here I realized that the tire  already have a hole, so….round two of the change. And IT WORKED!! And I got it in just a quick. Filled up and good to go. Sunday’s workout will be the true test, as I only found one spot that may have caused the original puncture. By this time it was getting too dark to ride outside, so I ended up on my trainer for an hour to get in my time. Sunday came, my tire was still full, and I was able to sleep in til close to 8 am, Heaven!  I got ready and headed out for a 3 hour brick. 2 hours on the bike and one hour on the run.  It was a good ride and run. I was a bit sore when I was done, but nothing I wasn’t expecting due to taking a week off and a week of recovery.   So now it’s on to Week Eleven and 22 days until my IRONMAN!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment