Saturday, October 1, 2011

Week Five: Ironman Training Week September 19th- 25th, 2011

Monday--  Long day at work. Woke up late today, as I slept through my three, yes three alarms, and had to stay later. So, I packed my workout back for swim and left straight from work. I'm sure my dogs were not to happy with me today when I got home close to 8 pm.   Got to swim and did next workout in plan. 10 x100; 5 x 100; 10 x 50 for main set. Kept them all within 5 seconds of each other. I'm feeling good that I'm keeping consistant, just need to get in some more open water swims. Next I headed to the treadmill for an hour run with 3 x 8 min up to Zone 3. Feeling good so far. Did well on water intake today. I had 33 oz before lunch and finished second bottle by end of night and started third, so I’m hydrating well today.   Body so far feels good. A bit sore in legs, but not too bad.
Tuesday—well this was a long day at work, and by the time I got errands run after work I got home close to 6:30 pm. So I took the day off  and skipped my easy one hour bike ride. Decided that I’m not going to worry. Plan allows me to take off the Zone One rides if I need to. Gonna be a busy week at work and I’m already feeling the fatigue effects. So I want to try and keep that good feeling going.
Wednesday--  Swim 2300 Yds at pool. Just can’t seem to get in more at once, arm was a bit sore tonight. Starting to put in more distance by adding Saturday workout.   I did lots of 100s and did 300s with pull buoy. Run was uneventful for 30 min run on treadmill. Back home and prep for Rehab Olympics at work.

Thursday--  Day off! Much Needed!! It was "recovery day" with my 90 min massage.Which felt great for the 30 minutes that I was awake for it!! Seems I feel asleep!  Which defeated the purpose of enjoying it. But I did feel better when I got done.
Friday--  One hour bike on trainer tonight. Was still pretty tired. So took it easy on trainer, got in about 10 miles, kept rpm around 88. 
Saturday--   SWIM:  My first big workout with swim and run over 3 hours!!  I got a great swim in with 3000 yrs  for 1:15 hr/min. I felt really good, did most of the swim without a pull buoy. 400yds with no buoy and 2 x 200 yds with buoy. Felt good til last 300 yds as my shoulder started talking to me, so went easy and did drills for evening.   Only thoughts that make me sorta nervous is I've yet to swim the entire 2.4 Mile distance yet in the pool. But, I'm following the plan and each week I seem to be getting a little bit closer.
RUN:  Started run nutrition with oranges, water and Coke to refuel after my swim. Yes, Coke, as it is on the race course for quick energy, except it's defizzed, which to me is nasty!  My addiction to soda is for the carbonation, so hopefully this keeps me from becoming addicted to it again:).   Drove over to Peavine, I love this trail!  It's one of my favorites and round trip it's about 13.5 miles.




and I headed out for run for 2:30 hrs (turned into 2:46 hrs).  Did the 10/2 plan and got in 12 miles.  Tried only for water on the run.  Temp was around mid 80s.  The first 9 miles felt good, but by mile 9.5 I was short on water, and fuel. My heart rate was in low 150s.  Used some salt tablets, but need to get more. So I was in Zone 3 and needed to be in Zone 2. Needless to say I had to walk last 2.5 miles due to lack of water. I got back to the car and put feet up for 30 minutes with sips of Coke, water and Gatorade.   Felt better after about 30 minutes and was able to head home and get food down. No GI distress this time and was happy with that!!!! Also happy with needing more water on the run.  Good recovery, got compression hose on and felt good.

Sunday--   Today I had a 4:30 hour ride. My riding partner was sick so I had to do the ride alone, which was a good practice session for race. I had a decent workout with the bike. I got in approx 63 miles, but only at a 14 mph pace. Had a good ride out, felt good going up the hills, but on the way back, hit a 29 mph headwind that slowed me down. Tried out Heed Prepetum calorie drink, and had Stash Bar and water, Happy again with no GI distress during ride!! Think I’m finally getting my nutrition under control!!   Got in a total of 4:46 in time.  Only soreness I felt was right IT Band and relaxed the rest of the day with legs up the wall and compression hose.  Starving when done with ride, wanted to order a pizza, but ended up with turkey burger, sweet potato, ice cream.  Rode with Camelbak to have enough water, but shoulder sore by end of ride, not sure I will do that again.
Got in all of my miles for the week = 14:15 hrs.    Felt good, but tired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment