Sunday, October 2, 2011

Week Six: Ironman Training Week September 26th-Oct. 2nd , 2011

Monday-   Woke today tired. Headed to swim straight from work and was pretty tired from ride yesterday. Got into pool and couldn’t relax and by 500 yds , my right shoulder was talking to me and not very happy. So I did most of my workout with pull buoy to ease off of shoulder. Which really, makes you use the shoulder more, but for some reason, it holds up my lower body which to me, eases the stress on my shoulder.  Only swam 2000 yds and decided to call it. Got to treadmill for run, and literally it was all I could do to get in 30 minutes, tried to use some of my mental training from my book I’m reading, and literally my body was just zapped. Zero Energy, nothing left. So I stopped after 30 minutes and headed home.  Then it hit, I was STARVING!! That was all I could think of….STARVING!!  So I stopped at Robert’s Market because I couldn’t make it home, and planned to get something “healthy” to tide me over. Instead, I  left with string cheese, Java chip Starbucks Ice Cream, a bag of Lays potato chips, a Coke,  and a box of Cherry Pop tarts. I ate the entire bag of chips and the string cheese on the 10 min ride home. Once home,  I got to cooking my turkey burger…but as it cooked I ate several spoonfuls of Nutella.   Drank some of Coke and lots of water.

Tuesday--   Today’s day was all about gluttony!  I was still amazing STARVING! And eating everything in sight. Poptarts, yogurt, biscuits and gravy, chips, more pop tarts, big lunch, chocolate bar, soda.  It was around the time I was leaving work that I realized that I totally depleted all of my glycogen stores in my body and that’s why I was insanely hungry and eating every piece of food in sight. Interesting…I haven’t had that happen before. EVER!  So, that gives me some good insight for this weekend’s workout, which is going to be even longer.  After all that food, I felt good for the first time after I got home, and made myself get out the door ASAP for my hour bike ride. Tuesdays are still tough for me to get in my hour ride.  I got on the road and felt….powerful. Food makes your body work for you! I ended up feeling good enough to do 1:15 hr on the bike to make up for some of the 30 minutes I missed on my run yesterday. Now, your not supposed to “makeup” any missed workouts, but I figured it was less fatiguing on the body and I can always use more time on the bike. I got my scheduled workout in,  going 4 x at 8 minutes  in Zone 3 (HR at 150-155). Once home I did a 15 minute mini brick/run to finish out the time. I know I should of  let it go. But I felt okay and needed to do it. Which was a nice ego boost that it felt good.  Became hungery again at end of run and did not get enough for nutrition. Darn it!


Wednesday-   So today, I was extremely exhausted. I had a very hard time waking up and had to go hard core with the black coffee this am. I had a rough time at work, really having trouble focusing, and feeling crappy and shoulder was feeling tweaky. When I got home, I still was feeling exhausted and “off” so I decided to take a quick nap to see if it would help. The nap lasted for over 1:30 hr. So I didn’t make it to swim class.  When I woke up , I was feeling super crappy, nausea, achy in the bones, chilled,  headache, weak, etc.  So I rolled over and kept sleeping. Felt like that start of a bug. So I made this my day off.

Thursday--  Well, I definitely  needed more than an evening to shake off this bug. I woke feeling even more crappy and had to call in to work.  Slept most of day and got up for meals and finally started feeling a bit better by late afternoon. So I continued to go easy.  I was scheduled for an easy one hour strength/yoga session today, but ended up just letting it go. Better to take a few days off then get to sick and lose more time.   Usually one good thing for me when I get sick is it usually only lasts a day or two. I usually have different symptoms, or only one or two pretty bad. Such as when most people get the full blown flu. I just usually get a sore throat and feel under the weather for a few days. I probably have my good health to thank for that.  Of course, I remember several occasions, once at Indian Trails Camp were the entire staff of 40 came down with the 24 hr bug, and I never got sick.  Good genetics?   I don’t know.  But my immune system is being pretty taxed with this training, so I notice I do have more instances of being under the weather. It’s a fine line.

Friday-  Made it in to work today, but it was again a rough day. Had very hard time focusing. Took some Airborne to help with immune system. Ate what I could, but not very well. And just kinda survived the day. I got home and took a long nap again, skipping my one hour easy bike. (so good at that one! LOL)  and when I woke, I felt a bit better. Got myself slowly moving to get stuff ready for workout tomorrow .I’m still a bit hesitant how it’s going to go, and if I should do it but I have nothing feeling crappy below the chest so I think it’s a go.  
Biggest Goal this week?   Figure out more of my nutrition.  I stopped at store on way home and got all good stuff, fruit, veggies, lean meats.   Then when I got home, I figured out what my calorie intake should be for my workouts tomorrow. I don’t want a repeat of last week, eating everything in sight. So this is what I figured out.
My BMR for my body type and activity level is:                                                        1920 cal 
Then I add in calories for each activity expected to burn:
                                                                        Swim  1:30 hour                                  645.8 cal
                                                                        Run    2:45 hour                                  1374 cal
                                                                        Total                                                    3939 Cal

This is how many calories I’m supposed to consume today to meet my caloric needs.  WOW!! That’s a lot, lets see what happens tomorrow. Got all my gear packed before bed, seriously, feels like I’m packing for a weekend every time, b/w all my swim gear, run gear and on Sundays my bike gear.  My car is always full of workout gear, cooler for cold food and drinks, etc.

Saturday--  Woke up today at 5:15 AM and as usual I was tired, but motivated as I was finally feeling back to my old self. I got my stuff loaded in the Escape and ate breakfast. (see below for total intake of day).   Headed to Y and met up with training partner. Got in a good workout for 1:30 hr/min. Work out included  500 yd warm up with mixed swim. Then 2x 400 yds, 3 x 300 yds, 3 x 200 yds, 3 x 100 yds.  With each last set using pull buoy.  Then finish with 150 yd cool down. Got in 3350 yds for day. Shoulder felt good, not to bad for a workout, longest I’ve done yet.   But the total yds I need to swim to get 2.4 miles?  4224 yds. Or 84.5 laps in the pool. Wow, that’s a lot. But looking at today’s workout, I only needed to do 16 more laps to get that, so I feel good and that I’m on the right track. Also got to get some “footage” of my Ironman training today using a camera that takes pic/video underwater, so I specifically got some underwater swimming and running to help document my Ironman Journey.   I will attempt an example video as soon as I figure it out!

After swim, I refocused on nutrition, ate half a peanut butter agave sandwich, handful of nuts, some Coke, and headed for Peavine Trail. Started out with temps in Mid-70s and slight breeze.  I planned to get some footage, so I took camera and tripod in camelback, which I may regret for tomorrows ride as my right shoulder is bugging me tonightL. But I got in two hours and 10 miles with the last 2.5 miles in a nice rain/downpour at times, but oh it smelled so good, I didn’t really care!   I had a box of raisins and peanuts for the run, with water, and some defizzed Coke. So I ate a scoop of raisins every 15 minutes on my 12/3 run/walk plan for the first 2 hours. Seemed to work well with stomach, and had a handful of salted peanuts at the one hour turn around. I was again a bit low on water.  Kudos that I needed more!  Bad Me for not bringing more.   Got back to the Escape and basically chugged a 12 oz of Gatorade, a little of Coke. Then laid down in back and put feet up for about 5 min and determined what to do with last 45 min of run. The treadmil or finish it out here? The rain/sky let up a bit, so I opted out of doing treadmill at club house, and grabbing more H20 and defizzed Coke and headed back out for 10/2 plan.  I felt much better now, whether it was because of the rest, or I ‘m really thinking the Gatorade I drank with electrolytes, I'm not sure. I was just a bit nervous that my stomach wouldn’t like that much liquid so soon, but  to my surprise, I did just fine! YEAH!!! So I had a bit more energy, drank about 4 oz of defizzed Coke and finished out another 3 miles for a total of 13 miles today. YES!! And I had Zero GI Distress the rest of the day!!! SO EXCITED FOR THAT!!! 
RECOVERY:  Got home and although I didn’t get in my quick 30 min or less carb/protein ratio drink. I did get in a good carb meal with lots of salt (Can we say ½ a pizza? YUMM!!!)  I did a 15 min ICE BATH within 10 min of getting home. Was FREEZING, but my legs do feel better after having done it. Compression hose are on for last 3 hours too, and legs are feeling better.  Also took Fish Oil supplement for recovery. Now going to get ready for long ride tomorrow.
 Nutrition is starting to fall into place!

Breakfast:         Banana                                                                                               105
                        Nutella on half slice of white bread                                                   300
Training:
                        Water
                        Handful of dry roasted nuts                                                                160
                        Box of raisins (scoop every 15 min on run)                                        130
                        Gatorade                                                                                             80
                        Coke (thorough out work out/finish bottle at home)                          230
            Dinner
                        Large Pizza –3 slices (lots of salt J)380 slice x 3                              1140
                        Mtn Dew                                                                                             290

                                    Total    (3939-2435= 1504 still left)                                        2435
            Seriously, I’m stuffed!!! I tried to eat more, but decided that I have that “full” feeling so not going to push it anymore.  I didn’t even get to enjoy my favorite treat….My Starbucks ICE CREAM!!!  That (ice cream in general) seems to be a staple with most Ironman Triathlete’s  I have learned. Must be the coldness of it that is so darn inviting after cooking your body with all the exercise in the heat!!   
                                   

Sunday-- Today was my long ride—5 hours. Woke up and met up with training partner by 7 am, on road by 7:32 am. Was a nice day, 70s with light breeze 8 mph?  I got in 64 miles in 5 hours, at 14 mph pace, avg HR at 127. Very nice for such a hilly ride. I needed to keep it in Zone 1-2 and I did!  It was less mileage because we did the Skull Valley Loop, which has insane hills and switchbacks all over the place.  I think the hardest part is that long winding up hill/false flat. That is actually worse than the switch back in my opinion, b/c there is no break, it always just go  up with no rest on the legs,  where on the switchbacks you have some down time coasting, etc.     Well, I’m tired, as I just fell asleep for an hour with my laptop sitting on my lap! LOL  So feeling a bit refreshed for the moment. Let’s see. Overall was a good ride. Comparing it to last time I did it, I felt more in control, and focused on the false flat, and felt like I had more power up the switchbacks. I think a lot has to do with my good recovery from yesterday with ice bath. (couldn’t get that in today L)  and with my nutrition. I had ‘energy” in the tank for the workout.  I felt good with no GI distress yet again!! YES!!!   
NUTRITION:  So calculated amt to eat was 1920 calories for everyday and 3251 calories burned from 5 hour ride = 5171 calories. Current amt for today is as follows.
Breakfast:         Banana                                                                                               105
                        Nutella on half slice of white bread                                                   300
Training:
                        Water
Heed  Preputurm Calorie training drink                                            135
                        Power Bar ( starting up hill in 1st 30 min)                                          130
Handful of dry roasted nuts                                                                80
Stash Bar (at Grocery Store prior to big climb home
                (18 miles of switchback to go)                                            260
Can of Coke at store                                                                           190
                        Box of raisins (at 4 hr into ride)                                                         130
                        Snickers Peanut Butter Square (4 hr in ride)                                      130
                        Coke (thorough out work out/finish bottle at home)                         230
            Dinner
                        Large Pizza –3 slices (lots of salt J)300 slice x 3                              900
                        One Med. Orange                                                                               64
                        Starbucks Salted Carmel Mocha                                                        290
                                    Total    (5171-2944= 2227 calories still left)                          2944
Again I feel stuffed. So I’ll try some fresh fruit in a bit, and some of my ice cream for a cold treat later. In addition to drinking LOTS of water that is making me nice and full.  I did take a Muscle Relaxer and a Ibuprofen due to my back being pretty sore, and another fish oil for recovery.  So,  I missed my total training goal by 2:30 hours this week. But I needed to take those days off because of being sick and resting, by doing that, I was able meet my goal of getting in the longer, necessary workouts on the weekend.  Successful week overall, everything is starting to come together. Next week is another recovery week, with only Seven weeks to go!!! Bring it on Ironman! I’m going to be ready for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment