Sunday, November 3, 2013

Week Seventeen of FC Coaching/Training: Two Weeks to Go Time!!



Disclaimer:  This blog is a documentation of my now second Ironman Journey for AZ Ironman 2013. I’m doing this race for a former patient, Sunny, who recently passed away this summer from a brain tumor. I hope that I can honor her well as I take her on my journey.   Format will be random, i.e. quick journal format, random thoughts, motivational quotes, pictures of random moments and memories along my journey. For the most part, it’s documentation for me and may not be to exciting for anyone else to read, but for those of you brave enough to ever wonder…could I do an Ironman or even just a triathlon?  I then offer you a firsthand account of what goes on in the mind of an Ironman age group triathlete including all the highs, lows, emotions, fears, rants, etc, etc.   Please forgive any spelling mistakes as I’m sure I am just happy to get everything written down, just chalk it up to fatigue from lots of training! 


Current Stats Overall:

SWIM:  ~202,932 Yds   
BIKE: ~ 1623.78 Miles  
RUN: ~   479.67 Miles  
Strength: ~ 24:55 hr/min
Other      ~ 11:50 hr/min (PT, Stretch, etc. )
Total Training Hours:  341:49 hours/minutes   

Taper has begun. Two weeks until the gun goes off. I have three weeks of taper up to the big day. So that means…less training. Resting the body to get it ready to put be put to the test. This week I got in 11 hours of training.  Next week it will be closer to 7 hours. Then Race week…around 3 hours. Then it’s Race Day!!


It’s interesting how this time around my training is different. I think a lot of it has to do with having a coach, having knowledge that I’ve already done it once and that I can do it again. My Soma Half Ironman was a great test and boost to my mental state to see that I am ready and where I need to be for Nov. 17th.  I’m so ready to get it going.   I had more difficulty with motivation the last few weeks. And it was almost a big build up to Soma…and some of that pent up energy is gone because I did it, and raced well for me.  Now I just have to keep that energy channeled for IM AZ.  I’m excited to be racing with a team. I’m excited some of my friends plan to come cheer for me. I’m excited at the possibility my parents might be coming out. It’s still up in the air. And I really hope they can. But I won’t risk them driving in bad weather…so pray for good driving weather from here to MI. Since I can’t get them in a plane, or on a train.  But if they do make it…I have a surprise for them(To be posted). I’d so love for them to watch my first triathlon doing an Ironman.

So this week’s training was “light” in my book for 11 hours. On Monday, I had planned a swim and bike, but I made it all the way to the Y, and some kid decided to poop in the pool. So it became a rest day. I drove home and took a nice two hour nap.   There have now been three issues in the last two weeks. I’m thinking they need to find that kid and ban him/her until they know how to poop in a darn toilet. stopped off at Pet Smart on the way home and couldn't resist the 3$ sale Halloween costumes  I never buy full costumes for dogs...but these were just too funny not to!  Kahlua did good at the bee, as he never stopped moving once it was on, hence all blurry photos. Just a little pay back for waking me up early on my days off. 




Tuesday was an easy run day.  I only needed to run a designated time which yielded me 5.5 miles. My feet were pretty sore again, so my new shoes should be here soon.   And recovery compression socks.



Wednesday was when I finally got in for a swim and my bike. I felt good so I went for extra with my swim, and once home I did an hour on my bike. It felt good. But I was feeling crappy as my ear has been acting up more. And I went deaf again. Tomorrow, I have a doc appointment.


Thursday- Halloween. Sorry But I was not in a good mood, So, I boycotted Halloween this year, to many memories and I didn’t want to remember any of them. So off to work I went, and was out by noon. Once at the doctor’s office, it was determined that I had a nasty ear infection that wasn’t going away.  So I was given two types of ear drops to help clear it up.    After the appt I went to the Y to get in my swim and then dropped off prescriptions and headed home. Then I did my 1:45 hr/min run. I was going to wait for my prescription, but I’m glad I didn’t as they didn’t get it done in time. So Later, I loaded the dogs up in the car and headed out to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription, only to get halted by all the trick or treat-ers.  I was just a bit peeved when I couldn’t get down the street because everyone was walking down the middle of the damn road.  I understand that I’m going to have to go slower. But parents, geezzz, don’t turn around and see that a vehicle is coming, and then turn back and KEEP walking in the middle of the road. It’s so damn disrespectful.  I know my nieces and nephews would never do that.    I got to the pharmacy only to learn that my lovely insurance didn’t cover ½ of my prescription, so after forking out 75$ a piece,  I got dinner, and headed back home. AGAIN to wait for people walking down the middle of the road, and not getting over.  Finally home. Meds on board  and off to bed




Friday was November 1st!!!  I’m only 16 days away from RACE DAY!!! HOLY CRAP!!! My nerves were a bit high today. But I also was happy it was a Day Off, and if things weren’t already good for the start of November, I was surprised by my Starbucks Barista with my EGGNOG Latte!!! My favorite drink EVER!!! And he knew exactly how I liked it. What a nice surprise from them!!  Then got home and my triathlete magazine with Kona edition was waiting for me.   So, I cozied up with a blanket, my drink, my magazine, by the fireplace and enjoyed my night.



Saturday I woke up cold. Temp of 40 degrees to be exact. I even slept in, this was at 8am temp. On the trainer I went for my ride. It was a bit rough today. I managed to get my zones, but my body was tired.  I couldn’t  seem to do anything right with nutrition. What normally worked wasn’t today. By the end I was eating a bag of sweet potato Pop Chips, and drinking a Coke. I was not getting enough in my system. Once out on the run…I felt like lead. It’s been a while since I felt that way. I did however manage to stay in my zones where I needed to. And even had to slow myself down at times. SO, even though my training was hard and really mentally tough today.  It was decent and good training for any low points on Race day.  

Sunday was a nice easy day. Only a 45 min swim and done.   I made up my chicken, sweet potato and navy bean crock pot recipe. The house smelled amazing when I returned home after four hours.  Cinnamon, Oregano, Yumm!!!  Now the rest of the day is rest day.


Catching up on the few final details I need for race day.  Got my list…goggles,  hotel room, finalize dog sitters, make a sign for Sunny,  reapply  the one on my bike for Sunny. Get my bike checked one more time. More stash bars for nutrition on ride,   Find out if parents are coming.  



Go your own way
Have the willingness
To go beyond what is
Familiar and safe
Reinvent yourself, risk
Everything to fulfill
Your dreams, even if it

 Means doing it alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment