Sunday, October 6, 2013

Week Thirteen of FC Coaching/Training: Modified Week Gone Belly Up!


Disclaimer:  This blog is a documentation of my now second Ironman Journey for AZ Ironman 2013. I’m doing this race for a former patient, Sunny, who recently passed away this summer from a brain tumor. I hope that I can honor her well as I take her on my journey.   Format will be random, i.e. quick journal format, random thoughts, motivational quotes, pictures of random moments and memories along my journey. For the most part, it’s documentation for me and may not be to exciting for anyone else to read, but for those of you brave enough to ever wonder…could I do an Ironman or even just a triathlon?  I then offer you a firsthand account of what goes on in the mind of an Ironman age group triathlete including all the highs, lows, emotions, fears, rants, etc, etc.   Please forgive any spelling mistakes as I’m sure I am just happy to get everything written down, just chalk it up to fatigue from lots of training! 

Current Stats Overall:

SWIM:  ~176,112 Yds   
BIKE: ~ 1305.56 Miles    
RUN: ~   387.61 Miles   
Strength: ~ 24:55 hr/min
Other      ~ 11:30 hr/min (PT, Stretch, etc. )
Total Training Hours:  289:01 hours/minutes


This week was a total bust.  I’m so frustrated and pissed right now. I’m embarrassed to even make an entry this week. I also see the irony of this week to, as I notice that it’s Week Thirteen. A cruel joke on my training?  It was a crap shoot from the first day of training this week. I woke on Monday and while at work, I transferred a pt for an eval in the morning. Well, I attempted a transfer with a pt, and they started to lose their balance, and was starting to sit down hard in the w/c. So I was on the patient to slow the decent, and felt a “tweak” in my back. It didn’t feel that bad, so I didn’t think too much of it. I switched my eval to a Sara Lift. I knew better. When I got to the office, I recall thinking, oh this may not be good, so I got ice on it right away. But then I didn’t think much else. I just got back to work as it’s been crazy busy and didn’t have time to do much else. I got to swim that night. It was short and fast. I didn’t notice anything really except for a small twinge when I would push off the wall. Once changed I was on my way home to do my bike workout. By the time I got home, I had radiating pain down my back and to the back of my right knee. Shit, shit, shit. I could only figure that the “tweak” was more than a tweak. It felt like the residual back pain when I had my back injury at work back in 2010. So I skipped my bike workout, and did a PT session, got on my inversion table. It felt better, but better safe than sorry. I skipped my bike workout on the trainer.  Woke Tuesday with that nagging pain in my back, took Ibuprofen and off to work.  As the day wore on, it just got progressively worse. Full day again, so not much time to ice or rest. Once home. I again, decided to make it my rest day. And rested, with a 3 hour nap and drugs.  Wednesday, I was back at the pool. It was a long workout. 2900 yds. I choose to skip all kicking, and swam the entire distance with the pull buoy. It felt okay. I actually felt like it relaxed a bit. But then I had a 2 hour run. Again, I choose to skip it for better safe than sorry. I came home did some more PT exercises and rested. Thursday was another long day at work, And while I didn’t feel great in my back, it felt less than the last couple days. So debating what to do for my workout once home, I came home and wanted to be conservative, so I was going to not do any intensity and just get some ‘time on the bike”. But rest first. I laid down. And promptly slept from 5:30 PM until 8:30ish AM the next day. So…a 15 hour nap?  Another rest day unscheduled. I did however wake with zero back pain. So I headed out on a very easy 7 mile run. Which felt good to get back to running/jogging. I did my workout, but by mile 5 I could tell my back was starting to not feel happy. So I stopped and walked the last two miles.  Home again, shower, and off for the many errands I needed to run.  And a blessed 90 minute massage that night. I felt good after the massage. Home and sleep. I woke on Saturday, feeling pain free. Was really wishing I could skip work so I could  enjoy not having the nagging chronic pain come back. But off to work and by lunch, my back was back to hurting.  I was planning on a trainer ride when I got home, as it usually opens up my back and feels good, and doesn’t cause pain. But I was so discouraged when I got home, I basically just had a good cry, grabbed some beer, some of my heavier drugs and headed over for some girl time to help my girl friend setup her nursery and have movie night and dinner. I did feel better with more rest.  Sunday, I again wanted to get on my trainer, but trying to be smart about it. Still feeling very discouraged and emotional, I skipped all things related to training. I caught up on cleaning the house, bills, etc. And I have now only worked out 3:42 hr/mins this week.  I’m not sure whether to laugh, cry, scream, or swear.  Maybe this is my mental breakdown with my back being aggravated at work. The stress I’ve been under has met its breaking point here at Week 13. Refocusing is key as I have a race in 2 weeks. And I’m 6 weeks out from Ironman.  Hmmm…. Thinking back, I think my breakdown moment was five weeks out from Ironman the last time. But at least injury wasn’t involved. I’m still nervous that my prep isn’t enough with the intensity vs volume. That’s where this race on the 20th  is very important, as it will give me the confidence that I need to know what I’m doing is going to work.  Just talking about it, I’m feeling the pressure. Okay, I need to refocus. FOCUS on what things I can control…..

So what’s my Plan? 

1.       Keep at healthy as possible without losing the fitness you need to do your races. More time with PT, Massage, rest
2.      Nutrition…get it finely tuned for the race.  Write out your game plan.
3.      Breath….a week of rest may be just what you need to regroup and refocus on the ultimate goal. Racing Ironman for Sunny.
4.      Use a pull buoy swimming until your back feels better, stop early with any pain.
5.      Skip high intensity runs…or runs altogether if necessary for your back to feel better.
6.      Bike is okay, it’s never hurt your back before, and when down in aero, and it actually feels better. Focus more on Trainer work.
7.      Just remember that it’s about the bike, your bike fitness will get you through the run if you can’t do as much running as you like. You have read enough research about that. YOU KNOW THIS!!! 
8.                  RELAX
9.      BREATHE!
10.  Everything will work out as it should.








What Doesn’t Kill
You Only Makes
You Stronger, Right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment