Friday, June 12, 2015

T-Minus One Day....and How to Watch the Race.

Updated!!! If you already read this, I added pictures, and noted where I updated everything.




This is my Journey into the World of Ironman. It's my journal/documentation of the ups and downs of what it takes to be an age-group athlete training for an Ironman triathlon. This is more of a way for me to remember what I am doing over the course of the training season, as any Ironman Athlete can tell you, sometimes the days can blur into one training day of swim, bike, run after another. So, while some may not find this at all interesting, those that wonder...could I do an Ironman? Do I have what it takes to do an Ironman? I give you a peek into my journey and days to complete my next Ironman.  Forgive any misspelled words/awkward sounding sentences. I'm pretty happy just to get them down on paper. Consider it a test of your mental skills to figure out what I'm saying. Hope you enjoy reading my journey.  I'll see you at the Finishline!!!


Current Training Totals:

Swim       43,800 yds             18:49 hr/min

Bike        958.92  Miles         76:10 hr/min

Run         234.30  Miles         50:58 hr/min

Other/                                     26:45 hr/min
Strength




Overall  Training Time:       172:42 hr/min


It's My 70.3 Training RACE WEEK!!!!   I'm sitting here in this spectacular rental, right on the river, listening to the rush of the water flowing by my window. The water is rising, there have been thunderstorms all week, and flood warnings. Certain areas in downtown Boulder, the water is starting to flow over the flood walls under the bridges. several of the bike paths that go under the bridge are closed, a few are still open. This is part of the Ironman course in August. I"m looking forward to it.

The Boulder Reservoir is currently closed. Due to high bacteria levels. This is pretty normal for this time of year, it was like that last year for this race, but we still swam in the end, as the levels were okay.   Now there are rumors because of how much rain we have had, it may be changed into a Run-Bike-Run race. I'll know more later today.


Training last week has been pretty good. I got in a full GREEN week according to Training Peaks. FINALLY!!!  That makes me happy. And looking back at the fact that it was over 15 hours. I can see why now I was tired, grumpy and hungry ALL the time.  The Ironman Fatigue is kicking in!!

I believe I recapped the first four days on the last post, so I'll just cut and paste it below and go from there:

June 1st - June 4th (Re-Cap)

This week has been going better also.  I got in a good solid ride on Monday,  and a solid 30 min run which distracted me from the nasty storms raging out side..I ran off my fear if you will.

Tuesday I got in 2500 yrs at the pool!  This makes me happy that I'll be able to do the swim, but it' will be slow.  BUT, I WILL DO IT!!  My shoulder was a bit sore after, so I have been taking it easy and getting in some good stretches.  Again dodged another storm while swimming, so I couldn't even freak out.

Wednesday bike ride once again was reduced to the trainer because of sporadic thunderstorms.  It's been helpful in the sense that I am in a very humid environment, and I'm on the trainer at a constant speed.  I'm still having tweaking issues with my left leg. But the bike fit seems much better. Now to get my stages meter fixed. Getting my nutrition dialed In better I hope. I'll need to get it figured out how to carry it all on the bike now.   I finished with a 40 min run that felt good. I again feel good coming off the bike with my pace, now if my leg would just cooperate.

Thursday, I got in my long 2:10 hr run. This once again was tough. I also learned to not go with just water and salt. I think to the early morning runs with not much food in my system. Needless to say, I got in my run,with a 10 min break, then got in my swim, but I kept it slow  and short because the arm was hurting on Monday. I'm feeling as good as I can.

Had a good conversation with my Coach tonight, so I'm focused for what I need to do next week.  I'm also heading out to Boulder, CO early.  Although, the tornado that I just learned that hit there tonight, where the bike course was for Boulder Ironman, isn't making me too excited to get there early!

Friday I was back at the pool for a solid swim, my shoulder while sore from trying to do longer bouts at time, is doing good for the most part.  I'm happy with where I am for only swimming three weeks up to my race.

Saturday- I had a solid bike with the "1234 Throw the Trainer Out the Door" Workout. It definitely makes you keep it real, I was feeling it before I finished.   But I was happy to see I could get it going.

Sunday- I had another hot run on the Rims, with hill repeats and sprints.  And once again had no fading. I LOVE my BASE Performance!!!

Race Week: June 8th - June 12th.

So far this week is all about the Taper......I had a easy swim on Monday. I tested out the wetsuit, as the last couple races I have been getting pretty nauseous in the water and at Soma last year, I almost threw up at the stairs (thank god I didn't, that would of been an embarrassing moment).  So I got on the wetsuit to see how I Was feeling.  I got in and man I FLEW in the water. and the arm felt good!!  It was sore from last weeks swim, but I could handle it in the wetsuit.  I swam three 500 yrs at as easy as a pace as I could muster, let just say.. I'm not worried about the swim right now.  I'm going to go conservative for training, but I'm not worried about the swim for this distance.   However, it could be a moot point if they cancel the swim tomorrow.  (fingers crossed that we get a chance to swim). I had planned to get in a swim today, so my first open water swim of the year was not the race.  Guess I have to wait and see.......

I had a massage on Tuesday, which was supposed to be nice and relaxing. Well let's just say, the guy did not do a good job. It was probably one of the worst massages I've ever got in my life. So I went from trying to get relaxed to not at all. I did complain nicely to the gal, and they are going to have me see someone else for a free massage when I get back.  I don't think I'll go to them again after that. It was not worth the money or the experience.   I sure do miss my massage therapist back in Prescott.
I finished packing and running around on Tuesday evening to get evening organized. I attempted to pack in the evening, only to be stopped by a thunder storm. SO..I went to bed instead.

Woke Wednesday and finished packing and got on the road about an hour behind.  Drove through some pretty country. MT, WY, and CO.  I rolled into Boulder around 5:30 pm.  The rental I splurged on is AMAZING!!!  It's pretty darn awesome.  All the stress I have been feeling and anxiety simply just melted away.  I was immediately recharged by the sound of the rushing water from the river and the twinkle lights on my porch.  I finally feel like I'm on vacation.  Breathe.







Thursday, I woke early and got  up to do my run. I'm literally right on the bike/run path, so I can head right out my door, out the drive and boom, I can be in town in a mile.  It was a fun run, but I definitely felt the elevation a bit with my heart rate. The down side of not living at elevation anymore.  But I have been hydrating pretty good.  I got back from the run, took the dogs for a nice longer walk, played by the river. Kahlua got his feet wet, then started to get more daring and walk into the river more.    Back to the rental and get cleaned up to go out to the expo. I was planning to help out at the BASE Performance Booth for a few hours. In the end, the weather chased everyone off, so we maybe lasted 2 hours before all the exhibitors called it a day. I ended up running around picking up stuff for Matt, as the stuff that was supposed to be there, got derailed on a train in Houston!! Then I was off to check in. No lines of course :)  Then to the store and home to relax and listen to the rain falling.






And here we are to the day before the race.  T- Minus 21 hours 34 minutes to start time/swim time for  the Boulder 70.3 Half Ironman.  I'm relaxed. I except that a swim is not going to happen today. I need to still get in my bike ride, but I'm planning to get it in in the afternoon when supposedly the sun is going to try and peak out. Then rack my bike for the mandatory bike check in.  Then back to relax.

I'll have more to post later I'm sure, but this is where I'm currently at in my day. So I'm going to go get my stickers on my bike, helmet. Gear setup.  I have a sweet new gear kit from FC Coaching that I'm excited to race in. And I'll put up another post for anyone interested in following me through the race.  Same as before.. go to www.ironman.com, live coverage, my race should up  BOULDER 70.3. And then you can click on the links to watch. There is also a Athlete Tracker so you can check that out too.  I'm number 2143.  I'm swimming in a red cap, my go time is 8:05 if we swim.  Fingers Crossed!!

Those who have asked and want to know how to watch the race or track me during the race. Here is some info:

Saturday June 13th, 2015 

Race starts at 7:00 AM Sharp. My wave starts at 8:05 AM
IF WE STILL SWIM. Due to bacteria levels..it’s possible it will be a Run-Bike-Run Race. I won’t know until later today.  However...I just saw a "video" of DC stating that we are swimming. Not sure if it's official "yet". But i'm guessing it's a go from his remarks...Ohhhh probiotics, I hope you do your thing for me tomorrow! 

HOW TO WATCH ME TOMORROW!!!

Number One -Computer


you can click on Live Coverage

Find my race listed  : Boulder 70.3

If you switch to live coverage, they cover the pros until they finish. Then the main camera gets set up at the finish line, and if your watching the athlete tracker, you can watch how I’m running, and catch me crossing the finishline.  My Number is 2143.

Number Two – Smartphone 

On a Smart phone, down load the app IronTrac ( see app in middle for  picture)

It should have up for distance 70.3
And for Year, it will be 2015
Boulder 70.3
Type in my Last name or Bib 2143 and select  me to add to the watch list. Then you can check throughout the day.

There are other apps too if you look, this just seems to be the one I like the best, as some crash with all the activity.



UPDATED!!!!!


It's Official!! the swim is ON! I saw a video of DC, the race director commenting that the swim is a go. However, he said it kinda "suspiciously", so I'm guessing either way....it's a go.  Yep, Probiotics already on board, and will continue to be on board for the next few days.  But this is good, I need to get in the water.

Off to the Boulder Rez. and on to my 30 min warm up ride/race meeting.

Here is where the fun begins.....I get all ready to go, get on my bike,  and it starts...dragging.  I notice that no matter what I do, my wheel is catching on the brake. even with adjust to the brake pads, it doesn't help, and every time I step on...it catches and slows the bike down. A rather annoying thing that will surely make it not good for a 56 mile bike ride. So I return to the Expo, looking for the bike Tech. I end up walking to the race wheel guys who kindly attempt to fix it for me, but don't have the right tools. So I go rack my bike. Go to the race meeting, then go on search of the bike tech. Luckily it's right across from the BASE Performance Booth where I volunteered for a few hours yesterday.  I am able to get my bike checked out....the back wheel needs to be trued?  and they check the breaks and cables for me too. Come back in an hour. Done.

So I go and hang out with Matt again at the BASE Booth for the next hour while I wait for my bike. Finally, my bike is done, I have 30 min to get it back in transition before it closes.  Whew.  This has been more stressful then planned. I didn't get a chance to ride it, I won't know until tomorrow.

I run to the store to pick up a few essentials for the night ( more Probiotics), and race morning, and head home.  Time to get my tri bag setup for the AM.  I lay out all my gear for the Swim, Bike, and Run.  I almost have all of it. Then I start on nutrition....only to realize I didn't bring enough salt to go in my tubes for the bike/run.  Matt to the rescue!! Talk about an above and beyond kind of guy. He knows how to take care of his ambassadors. He brought me some salt in tubes. Now I'm all set.    Off to bed I go, to get what little sleep you get prior to a race.









No comments:

Post a Comment