Friday, June 19, 2015

Race Day!! Boulder 70.3 Ironman Recap


This is my Journey into the World of Ironman. It's my journal/documentation of the ups and downs of what it takes to be an age-group athlete training for an Ironman triathlon. This is more of a way for me to remember what I am doing over the course of the training season, as any Ironman Athlete can tell you, sometimes the days can blur into one training day of swim, bike, run after another. So, while some may not find this at all interesting, those that wonder...could I do an Ironman? Do I have what it takes to do an Ironman? I give you a peek into my journey and days to complete my next Ironman.  Forgive any misspelled words/awkward sounding sentences. I'm pretty happy just to get them down on paper. Consider it a test of your mental skills to figure out what I'm saying. Hope you enjoy reading my journey.  I'll see you at the Finishline!!!


Current Training Totals:

Swim       47,750 yds             20:14 hr/min

Bike       1022.42  Miles         79.53 hr/min

Run         251.44  Miles         54:38 hr/min

Other/                                     27:15 hr/min
Strength




Overall  Training Time:       182:00 hr/min


June 13th, 2015

The “short” version….. as posted on Facebook. I needed this to help me remember the day.  

Whew! Boulder never disappoints! It always keeps me on my toes. The short recap:SWIM:  It was good considering I haven't swam for two months. My goal was 50 minutes, got under it. The BIKE: Victoria was awesome ( that would be my bike)  Some fun things about the bike… Road bike vs. Tri bike? Tri bike FLIES!!! I've never had to say on your left that many times in my life during a race, Hence the 12 minute personal record. And fastest half Ironman bike ever in my career. 3:11 hr/min. Second fun thing: While biking through one of the residential neighborhoods, I managed to set off the speed zone radar at 23 mph. Hee hee hee
RUN : First lap was awesome, my Base Performance electrolyte salts and rocket fuel mix kept me on the go and at a good pace for a possible PR overall for the race. Then lap 2 arrived, and the hamstring was having nothing to do with running. So rather than make it worse, I chose to walk more than run. After all, this is a training race for the big one in August. Still have some work to do with the leg and nutrition for IMB. Boulder.... I'll be back in August....and I'll be ready!!!!! Blog to be updated after I'm no longer horizontal.



Well…As I said. Boulder Never disappoints!!!  I’m finally no longer horizontal. But I did have a few days of not so nice nausea thanks to the lake water. Lets just say it was a long drive home on Monday, sipping on Ginger Ale, and crackers.  Oh and a stop at a gas station to carefully tuck Victoria into the back of my vehicle to avoid possible hail that was forecasted during my drive home. Luckily it didn’t happen, so she got to ride inside for the last 2 hours.   Dogs, did great on the trip. I think they were more sad to leave the awesome rental, where they could stare out at the water all day long.   











So, here come’s the “long” version of the recap. Hope you enjoy the read. 


I woke up early, 4 ish, and got ready. I’ve been struggling with nutrition on the starts of these races. I wanted something nutritious, but my stomach just  doesnt’ seem to handle eggs or anything of that nature. So this time I tried what I read somewhere, I read that Andy Potts, and even Rinny, eat something that just had lots of calories, like a cupcake.  I found a few raspberry oatmeal bars from Whole Foods. It was tasty, and fully of calories…stomach felt good.  I found my AM meal for Boulder.   I got out the door at 5 ish, and headed over to the race site.  The traffic was NUTS. It was worse then last year, but then I remember that they added the sprint race at the same time.  I was expecting to park around 5:15, then relax for a bit before I headed in. Instead I parked around 5:45, and had 45 min to get into transition, get my gear setup, and get out by 6:30 AM. Then, wait, until 8:04 for my swim wave. 







I headed over into transition, walked over to get body marked, then head to my bike. Victoria was waiting for me right where I left her. I got my transition setup pretty quick. it was pretty tight quarters in transition. I had some pretty nice race neighbors, we all agreed to watch out for each other/and our stuff. Then once transition was setup. I got my “ready to go” photo. and then headed out of transition with my wetsuit in hand. Since I had over an hour to wait, It wasn’t frustrating to stand in the long porta potty line. My only regret was not having socks or flip flops for my feet. Oh well, I knew I would be privy to worse stuff during the race anyway. So as I stood there, I made friends with a guy from Missouri, and we talked Tri. I got my PRP out of the way.  (yes—-PRP— Pre Race Poop.) This is a very important part of the day….this can ruin your day if you don’t have this taken care of. Just ask any triathlete.  Then I headed over to the beach area and found a nice shaded spot behind a tree in the grass to sit down and wait. The sun was coming up, the air was getting warm, so I luckily wasn’t feeling cold. I stood for the National Anthem and then the Pros got ready and they were off!!  I then patiently waited and watched as each wave went off. As I got to about 30 min before my wave, I got on my wetsuit. I was happy it went on well. I had been sipping on water, and then about 30 min before the start, I ate a Chia Bar. It’s been one of the few things for me that’s been working on keeping the stomach calm.  So once the wetsuit was on, I headed over, threw away my water and wrapper, and headed down to the beach and found my wave, 18. 
Something new I was trying was earplugs. I had had some nasty nausea during Soma last Oct. to the point of almost completely embarrassing myself at the steps by being mere seconds from vomiting all over the exit. (I didn’t thank god, out of shear will).  But I was also nauseous during the last half of Boulder IM. I think it had a lot to do with the “waves” from the jet skis zipping around. I had to make sure I could get through this ok. So as our wave got closer, I put in my ear plugs. The world went eerily dim. I could still hear, but it was muted. 



Swim

We were Wave 18, one of the last two for the half. So athletes were already running out of the water to start their bike, before I even got in. I thought I would be a little frustrated with this. But in the end it really was no big deal.   It just made for a clearer course.   As our time came near.  I was getting a bit nervous, as I have only had 6 swims prior to this race, all in the pool, no open water swims.  I had planned to get in the water yesterday, but since the Rez was closed due to bacteria the days before that, I figured I would skip it.   As I remember how sick I got after IMAZ in 13. I decided not to chance getting sick the day before the race, just in case.     

So the horn goes off, and we are next up. I wade into the water and can tell the water is chilly, 68 degrees. I get my head under right away, and get my suit filled with water.  Earplugs, in, feeling ok.  Breathe, breathe, breathe

Then the count down begans. I could hear the announcer, muted of course— 1:00 min….30 sec…..15 secs…..GO!!!!!  And off we went, I hit my Garmin to start my day, and began swimming. I could tell the usual anxiety of getting in the open water for the first time this year. I could also feel the elevation effects, so I would have to remind myself to slow it down.   I did a lot of breast stroke in the beginning, just trying to get comfortable in the water and getting my breathing under control.  The ear plugs made things eerily silent, I was used to hearing the breaths, and strokes of everyone in the water. And what was most frustrating was that I had some chic swimming diagonal over me…all the time! I always seem to attract those swimmers for some reason. So I focused on each buoy for the swim. Break it down.  I would swim to each buoy and breast stroke for a bit, then get back at it.  I did this all the way until the last half where I started to get my rhythm going. I went into straight breathing to the left, which would aggravate the right shoulder a bit, but when I would breath right I would take in a mouth full of water. So, I just went with it. Plus, breathing to the left, is  my go to side when I start to panic.  I refused to look at my watch, just telling myself to relax and breath. Trying to visualize how I swam last year, and at Boulder IM. That helped a bit. I also had someone next to me that sighted good and used them as a good visual last year, which I didn’t have this year, I had “Diagonal Girl”, I cannot confirm if I did or did not give her a mild push with my foot one time when she swam on me for what felt like the millionth time.   I did do some of my own diagonal swimming, but I’d was able to look up and get back on track after about 5-10 strokes.   Finally, as I was coming in and about 200 yards out, I looked at my watch.. I was at 47 minutes.  I wanted to get in under 50. I was surprised I was doing that good, because I felt like I was slower, so I kicked it in gear to try and get under my goal of 50 min. I got to the shore…and stood up. Well, tried. I was a bit  off balance, so I dropped down to my knees, then stood up again, as gracefully as possible.  Then I walked out of the water and ran up and thru the arch.  49: 34 min.  Yes!  

Looking back.  I’m proud of that swim. If I had been able to get my rhythm a bit sooner in the beginning, I’m pretty sure that I would of been very close to last years time of 45 min. I’m not sure I would have been faster…but I know I took a lot of breaks in the beginning.  My shoulder for the most part, hurt, but adrenaline was flowing and the minute I was out of the water, I never thought about my shoulder again.  And as usual, I only swim with my arms, I don't remember kicking during the swim...except to maybe kick Diagonal Girl off me. 

And….The ear plugs worked!!  I didn’t get nauseous. There were a couple times I was coming close to feeling something, that was because a jet ski went by and created waves. But I felt good, no nausea. Score!! Something new is a bonus.



T1

I ran up the shoot, thinking of last year where I saw my dad, who was cheering me on and watching me race for the first time. (Dad and Mom, came to watch me race at 70.3 last year, first time ever watching me do a triathlon.)   I was a bit sad that they were not here this year, but I knew in spirit they were with me. I headed up and into Transition with a pitstop at the porta potty to pee. Over to my bike, got my gear changed out, grabbed Victoria, and off I was to the Bike out.  Got lathered up with SunBlock, and headed out onto the bike. 

BIKE

I started off just shaking out the legs, and getting comfortable on Victoria. I hadn’t rode her since her quick maintenance trip to the bike tech yesterday. So I had to feel her out, she felt fast and ready to go. So off I went out of the Rez on to the course and heading out for my 56 mile “training” ride. I knew to be smart on the first 12 ish miles. It was a nice false flat right out of the park, you felt like you were going slower than snot. But I held back, and reminded myself to just be patient and let the legs get comfortable. Then before I knew it, I was passing people!  I was  passing a lot of people. I kept checking  myself to make sure I wasn’t blowing myself up, but I felt okay. I felt like I was flying the first 12 miles. I would try to get in the power zone recommended by my coach, but then would hit a down hill and just zoom zoom zoom.  I was picking up speed and would be able to carry that momentum into the next hill and not have to work as hard. I like that about  the front half of the course.  Then I’d get into some flats and be able to let it ride.I still had trouble getting into the zone that coach wanted me at, but my power also kept going in and out (GRRRRR) so once again I went by feel. Noting that I would get back in a cadence of 85-91. not where coach wanted me at 75-80. I think I was worried I’d blow up my legs..so I went with what felt comfortable.  





I was a bit worried about the hills, as I have done all my bike training on the trainer, but I had faith in my training, and so did my coach. I made it up the hills fine, I would get tired, but then once I spun the legs out briefly on the back side, I was good to go again. One fun moment was one of the very short step hills, there was this couple cheering. The guy if you can imagine, in a Jamaican type accent was cheering us on, he was yelling…”yes, you are so fast right now,  I can see you numbers. thats how fast your going, so fast”  When I hollered back, “sure…like 5 mph”, he started to laugh. It was a good smile to get through that hill. 




The most frustrating part of being faster. Was that while passing people on the left, there were a lot of newbies who didn’t get the, stay on the left. I’d have to come up on them, holler left, and then pass them carefully on the left, out in traffic, like close to the double yellow line. I was getting frustrated with this, and just tried to chalk it up to a new experience. I did have one gal that would ride right in the middle of the lane of the road, and she would pass me, then I’d pass her going  up a hill, then she would pass, and slow down. It was a yo yo trend, that annoyed me a bit, I’m not going to lie. And once again, I should chalk this up as a good thing, but I always seemed to pass people on the stinking hills.  And the new five lengths between bikes was pretty hard to do. I just did my best and thankfully, no official was around when i was at the usually 3-4 lengths.  I knew the back half would be a bit slower, as it was more false flats back into town. I found again here that i was staring to get some back spasms at mile 40, but I recall later reading about a pro talking about the race, and how you would have that happen around that time.    
  

I had a fun moment as I came around the residential area, and I was flying down the road and came up on a speed radar sensor. hee hee hee…I set it off going 23 mph. I secretly inside threw up my hand and hollered out Whoo Hoo!!! Like the cartoon that had a guy have the same thing happen.  

One awesome thing on the bike, I was diligent with my fluids. I had my water that I would refill at each aid station, I had my Rocket Fuel from Base Performance that I was drinking. and I had my salt on my aero bars. I was diligent at taking two licks of salt every 5 miles. And I even used that to break down the ride, focus on every five miles.  It seemed to work, I have never felt better on the bike. I did get behind on taking in my calories, I forgot to get my watch setup to beep every 15 min. I’ll have to remember to do that next time. But I had for nutrition , my PBJ sandwich, Chia Bars and a Gu just in case.   It seemed to work, because I rolled into transition about 12 minutes faster than last year.  A new PR, for the course, and for a 70.3 bike overall!!!  




As I rolled into the finish, I dismounted, and then promptly almost fell over, and took Victoria with me. But we recovered, and walked on. I’m happy to report there is no photographic evidence of this, as I thought I saw a camera there. 

T2

Off I walked into T2 with my bike, and when I got to my spot, the neighbors had kindly racked there bike wrong, so it took  a little longer to get my bike wedged in. And maybe it was because everyone was so close, but I don’t ever recall having my stuff several spots down from where I left it. I had to look for my wetsuit that I left by my bike number. So after I quickly located it, I shoved it under my bag so I wouldn’t lose it. My visor was two spots down too. It was a bit ridiculous. Here I could tell, while I felt good, the run was going to be hot. Which was good, I needed a hot run to prepare for IMB.  I talked with a girl a few bikes down, she was c/o how she was nervous about the heat, feeling like she was getting heat stroke and wouldn’t be able to finish. I took a minute to talk to her, how she was feeling, as I had been there before. I gave her one of my sample tubes of Base Salts to help her with the heat.  Showed her how to use it, and then got my stuff and headed out the Run Out.  


Run

Lap 1

The run was divided into two laps, 6.5 ish miles each to equal 13.1 miles. Most of it was on dirt. While this was easy on the joints, it was a challenging run.  I immedietly hit up all the aid stations and started with ice, down the front of the shirt, the back of the shirt, down the shorts( first time doing that) and ice water over the head.  I was feeling good, my cadence was good, coach had me go by cadence, rather than focus on a specific pace. I must say I felt relaxed and less pressure to keep a pace. I again keep with my Base salts every mile before the aid stations, and the first six miles felt good. I felt good! I was on pace for a Course PR.  I just had to relax and keep up what I was doing. Keep doing the Ice, the salts.





Lap 2 —-"The Blow Up, Hamstring Hell"

So lap two started and I began to notice a few things.  One my nutrition was not going so well. Mainly because, I was slowing down on my Rocket Fuel. I noted that it tasted a bit funky with it being really hot, and i was getting somewhat queasy with my stomach. I was worried that maybe the heat was making it go bad. ( I confirmed later with Matt from Base, that I was okay)  So I let my nutrition go by the second lap.  I also started feeling my left hamstring start to act up. And I was getting some cramping at the hamstring and calf. I was struggling with this in training a few weeks ago. I had a really nasty SI joint out of whack, but I wasn’t getting this fully healed yet. So I slowly was breaking down.  Between that and the heat, I was blowing up. So I walked. I walked and ran as much as i felt safe. I had to remember that this was training. If it was an A race, I would of pushed, knowing I would have plenty of time to recover. But this was my B race. I needed to be healthy for the Next race.  So knowing I had to sacrifice a course PR, I walked. And honestly, the heat was also getting to me, and of course, the nutrition, because I wasn’t drinking my rocket fuel (lesson learned). 

I made a few new friends while on the course walking and running. I walked up to a guy cramping, who I handed out another sample of the Base Salt, He recovered, ran up to me, and said thank you, i saved his race, and he just might make it in to get his PR.  I wished him luck as he headed on. I had another guy, who was on his first race, He ended up pacing me with my run/walk. And when I had to stop, I told him to keep going, and later after the race, we found each other, and he thanked me for helping him through a rough patch.  

So this is how the last seven miles went. Ice at every aid station. I managed to pee on each lap. A good sign that I was staying hydrated. And while feeling a bit bloated/nauseous from the end, I kept going.  And finally I was down to a mile to go, I was trying to run, but the hamstring was just not having it. But when I got to the last 1/2 mile, I went for it. I kept running, then I was at the turnaround, and was able to keep going straight, and then I heard my name being called as I ran into the finisher shoot. Out came the smile, and all that pain goes away when you run down that red Ironman carpet. And under that arch and to the finish!!






FINISH
I got my medal, a picture taken, someone grabbed my timing chip, and I hobbled on through to get some water and some nutrition. 

I finished!! and while my time was ten minutes slower than last year, I was happy with my result. After struggling with two injuries the last three months. I still managed a decent job. Got a good swim for not swimming for 63 days.  I got a 12 min BIKE PR!!!! and while my run was on pace for a Course PR, I backed off to not re injure myself for the important race in Aug.  I physically felt better then last year too.  I am happy with this training race. 



Swim              49:29

T1                     5:52

Bike     3:11:18

T2                   6:30

Run   2:55:34


Overall:      7:08: 43





Things I Learned to Make Boulder IM Successful…


What I noticed that was different/what did I learn?  No Dizziness, no major nausea. No difficulty breathing, like last year.  Whew. Now I was still pretty hot, my arms and back were on fire. So I need still figure out that for the full. I recognize that the second half of the run, would be the second half of the bike. But I also didn't  have the same nutrition on the run, like the bike. So while I’m a bit nervous, I feel confident that I got my nutrition dialed in better for the bike. I need to now figure out how to stay cool on the bike.  

Listed below are my bullet points for things to work on for the next six weeks for Boulder IM 


1.  Heat….still need to work on nutrition plan

2.  Leg—-got to get it fixed.  Talk with my PT

3.  The salt worked!!!!  Like magic on the bike. Keep it up!!

4.  Swim, need to build up pace…..and distance.  More open water swims.

5.  Still nervous about the heat. But did a better job with it, until the second  
      lap. 


6.  Noticed when I got in to Boulder…day three was nauseated, headache.    
     elevation change??  Still did a good job of hydrating week before, and 
      while there.

7.   Need better sun block… or more. I mainly burned where I  dumped 
      water on me.  

8.    I would get hot quick…need better plan for sun on longer bike ride. Desoto 
        Arm Wings?

9.  More fluids on the bike.——-new holder on back?… two bottles and with bike  
     pouch for tire/tube/CO2?



Sunday-

DROVE IMB Course- I drove the two loops of the IMB Course. The first loop that I will do twice, is pretty darn close to the Half I just did, with a few turns here and there mixed in with a another hill or two. It’s about 40 ish miles.

Then, the Second Loop, which is mile 85-112. That one I’m going to have to prepare for. There are 5 loooooonnng hills.  Like a mile or two, long slow climbs. I’m pretty sure the Three Bitches are mixed in there also. So I need to prepare myself for keeping that in check on the first two loops and not burn myself out for the last. It’s all hills, at the end.  That is when I’ll be hot, and tired, and I will be able to bike past where I lost it last year and had to stop.  I plan to give it a salute, and a “F $# YEAH!! as I pedal past it, to the finish this year.   I’ve Got This!!



Training continues on…..43 Days and counting….Let’s DO THIS!!











No comments:

Post a Comment