Sunday, March 9, 2014

Month One of Ironman Boulder Training




Week One--

Well,my first week of training is in the books!! I felt so strong with all of it this week. It makes me happy and excited for the training plan and to see how it all works out for the big day.  I am patiently waiting to hear back from Faster to see when I can get my Power Meter. They said they would have an update this week but I've yet to hear from them. My swim felt good. My cardio still needs some work in the water, but over all I felt good.   My runs felt good with the hour and Kinesotaping my right leg helped ALOT. where I had zero pain.   Did my hill repeats on the water tower hill out back of the sub division. It's a great work out and made me reminisce about the good old days doing bleacher workouts at GVSU, which was by far my favorite workout. We did it every Tuesday.  I always find it funny that I'd take bleacher workouts any day over distance.  And yet here we are 20 years later..... and I do extreme distance LOL!!!



Can't complain with this scenery huh?  Cont to be at a 4:00 min Plank Yes!! And I am up to 8, yes 8 standing pull ups from the ground (with no boost to get up to the pull up bar)  Most I've ever done!!! I remember doing 7 in college, but this is plan sweet!!!

I did do Sat and Sundays workout on Saturday because I got the chance to go snowboarding with a group of friends from work! We all had such a great time. i did fall on my shoulders a bit to much, and used them a lot to get up. I was pretty happy with how quickly I was able to remember what I learned last year, and thanks to the expert instruction by a friends hubby, I was linking turns on my snowboard within an hour. I got encourage to head up to Midway with the group and was agreeable, but I will say that the "exit" off the lift did me in. Alison and I both beginner snowboards x 3 days got off at the same time, smoothly made it down the exit and then bite it at the same time! LOL I' wish there was a photo ops cause that would of been funny. We got out of the way quickly, laughing out butts off, only to hear the two guys behind us do the same thing!!  

But I knew at Midway I was done, I went down directly on my elbow on my right, and got some numbness/tingling in my elbow and shoulder felt sore. So I ended up walking the catwalk over to where the group was, and knew I was done, my body was shaking from fatigue. So bowing out from the group who wanted to go up one more time, I bailed and headed to the lodge. And considered going up the beginner slope one more time, but knew I was done when I couldn't hold up my arms without shaking.  I will say that I felt like I had Central Cord Syndrome by the next day, I could not lift my arms if my lift depended on it. And thank god for my coworkers who took the evals so I didn't have to lift any patients.  It was so fun...But It set me back with training, as I had to skip my swim and switch it to Wed.  

My only bummer was that I felt REALLY strong and healthy on Saturday, and then the snowboarding messed it up a bit. But I also realize that its probably the last time I'll get to go with these guys, as I'll be somewhere else next winter. Hopefully in CO :) working somewhere. 


Week Two--

This week started out with my "central cord syndrome" feeling with my arms. I could not lift them if my life depended on it.  They were so sore, and painful, I was worried that I might of done something, but at least I didn't dislocate my elbow (unofficially) like I did last year. I took Monday off and rested, I knew there was no way I could swim if I couldn't lift my arms. I was queen of the  Kineso tape on both shoulder, my right wrist and my right knee!  Tuesday, I choose to bike instead of run as my legs felt the best, and so I got in 12 on the trainer. I decided 5  hours on the slopes boarding made up for the one hour run.  I got in the pool on Wed, but it wasn't  pretty. I had to bring out the pull buoy more than I wanted, but I got the work out done.   Thursday, my day off...I SLEPT.  I am having trouble getting a good nights rest, thanks to some annoying nightmares that keep haunting me...alot. So it makes for longer days. I'm also as usual not eating right and that plays a huge role  in my fatigue. I'm not getting in enough nutrition.  Grrrrrr... had to hold off on Planks this week due to the shoulder.

Hill workout was good, got in a good 4 plus miles.  Swim was better on Saturday, but again had to pull in the buoy to give my shoulder a rest from the pull.  ANd Bike was good on Sunday. with a final training/graduation class for Kahlua. 






I signed him up for the Intermediate classes beginning March 2nd. Got to keep with the rhythm, and of course if I pay for it...I'll keep focused on doing it.  He still has some issues, but it's only been six weeks, he has come a long way since then. Although he still tends to pull at times on the walk, it's so much better then it was before. And he's getting stronger on the run, where soon I can start taking him on runs I think and he can go the distance, i have to build him up to it, as he is eight....I don't want to over do it with him. 
I do need to get him more exposed to other areas, take him down town Prescott with the other dogs around the block. And I really want to get Bailey on board with doing more, but it's tough training two dogs at the same time. 


Week Three--

Well, this week was my highest volume yet. I got in more time on the bike and more running then any other week. Because I still felt my shoulder being a bit tweaky, I choose to opt out of my swim from Wed that was optional. I decided it was smarter to rest it then it was to push through the pain, even with the Kinesotaping helping I just needed the break.  My swim on Mon was okay, again, had Kineso on so my shoulder was good to go.   My run on tuesday was a bit rough. I haven't' been sleeping well again, Been getting plagued by nasty nightmares that seems to come back every few months. It weird.. I haven't ever had them this bad before, and I'm not quite sure why the last year it's been in high alert. Really frustrating cause I'm not getting the quality sleep I need. Hence when I had Saturday with an easy run....I slept in. but more then that, I like slept the entire day, from the bed to the couch, I woke around 5 pm and got out to get in my 45 min run which was supposed to be an easy recovery run, but ended up being harder then planned. Then  I took the dogs for there 1.25 mile bike ride for Kahlua, then run. On the bike ride though, I wasn't as attentive to Kahlua as I normally am. Usually I can see when he is going to try and greet something or someone coming down the road, He also has a few "spots" that he always must sniff. But this time, he caught me off guard, and took a 90 degree right turn on a run, so needless to say, me the bike and the dog all ended up on the ground. I had some bloody carnage to my left elbow, but it's doing okay, and it didn't affect my Sunday bike ride. But it's still tender so I can't put full weight on it. 


See?  Isn't it pretty? At least it's right over my other scar so it just adds to the current carnage of that elbow.   I then got a walk in with them both and was done for the evening.  Sunday I got in my bike ride and felt good. My only issue of late is that by back has been really bothering me again. I know i"ve slacked off on my plank (got back to 2:00) tonight, and single leg squats. I didn't get in my strength training yet. I need to get on that, I think that will help. My right hip has been a bit tight too. again my fault for not doing my PT exercises, and I think it's time for new shoes, which will come in two weeks when I head down to Phx for my birthday to get my Power Meter put on my bike and a quick trip to Road Runner Sports to get new shoes and insoles. That should help.  I still have to kineso tape my knee. And it's doing better but still not 100% yet.  Which reminds me I need to reorder some more tape.  Recovery week is coming up! I get two days off this coming week. AND my amazing beautiful friend is throwing me a 40th birthday party for me on Saturday!  Combining it with my amazing friend Nicole who turned 30 in Feb. So we are having a joint party. I'm so blessed to have some amazing friends. Which of course also makes me feel nervous and sad about leaving this year, and whether or not I'm making the  right decision, but In my heart, I think  it's the right decision, and I want to travel.  I loved doing that with MT this past summer. It was really good for my soul to get away from everything. And use that time to reassess "life". Explore new opportunities. I'm at am amazing place to be employed at. Everything at my finger tips to help patients to heal and get better. I know that I'm at the "gold standard" for rehab hospitals. And that it won't be like that in places I go to. But I think I've gotten enough knowledge to take with me now for traveling and to help patients. 


Week Four---

Recovery Week.  Oh blessed recovery week. I was more ready for it then I thought I was.  Swam on Monday, had an muscle bound jock who thought he deserved to take my lane, even with me standing there waiting for the guy swimming in the lane to get down so I could ask to share the lane.  Only small piece of karma was that I smoked him on the laps. I then decided to get a coffee cause I had a free one about to expire, and dammed if I didn't drop the entire thing right at the door way when I got home. grrrr. I was just numb. So I scarfed down some food and went to bed. Fighting a head cold/allergies this week, so I was more tired then I realized. I slept a lot.  Tuesday I was debating on doing a workout early as I had my birthday party planned for this weekend. But got home and fell asleep again....like for the whole night. I flexed off Wed for work cause our census is really low so I slept in and then did my hill repeats for my run. Then walked the dogs, and of course...slept.  Thursday work, and home to do my bike ride for Sat. I got in almost 20 miles, but my body was tired. Feeling crappy from head cold/allergies. And to bed early. Friday off from work again for working Sat.  Up to get braces adjusted early. only to fine I may have an issue with one of my crowns...boo. Dentist next week for a check up.   Then I got home, got in my bike ride, and ran errands and got stuff done.   Sat I worked and then had this day off. Only bad thing was I started getting a headache, which turned into a migraine, I'm mostly blaming the weather since Friday it turned cloudy and rained all day Sat. Which was so nice. but the pressure killed me. I'm now realizing that the brace adjustment probably also had something to do with my headache, but not all of it.  So I got to celebrate my 40th birthday early with my good friend Nicole who turned 30 in Feb. We had a lot of fun, but I was toned down a bit with that damm headache. I think I only drank one full glass of wine the entire night. But I still had fun. I got the chance to see some great old friends, and hang with current ones. Was the perfect way to celebrate. Not to much flash, but just enough to have fun. 





Now I sit here on Sunday, still with the killer Migraine, which has prevented me from getting in my last recovery run. But I'm afraid any big movement and it will come back full force. It's currently just "lingering". I tried every remedy that has ever worked in that past, and none of it worked. I barely ate anything today, and pretty nauseous too. I did make it to dog training with Kahlua, he is moved up to Intermediate Class. He has all new dogs to meet, and is the oldest. they are all puppies, and he is the grandpa at 8. But we started learning Heel today. He picked up on it pretty quick. And sit with distractions, he was once again very food focused.  Once home I was back to being non functional and took a 3 hour nap. Neti Pot, Five Hour with IBP.  Hot pack on head.  Hand in Hot water. Nothing. So my migraine lingers...lets hope it stays there and goes away for work tomorrow. 

On to my next month of training. I have my power meter being fitted to my bike this Friday, so a Phoenix run it will be happening. And looking forward to a massage for my Bday on Thursday :) Been having a sore back and neck, so I'm ready for some pampering. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment