Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Birthday Week/ aka. Sick Week/aka. Week of training is a bust.

Well, what started as a good week with training turned into a major bust!  I had a good time at my birthday party, but still dealing with a nasty migrane/headache. I headed out on my swim on Monday and was rather happy with my workout. I was expecting to feel crappy and excepting that, and instead had a really good workout. Then I got home, and started coughing. Headed to work on Tuesday and by the afternoon, my thoat was so sore, I could barely talk with the inservice I gave at work. Then by the time I made it home. I was so not feeling well, that I went straight to bed, thinking a nap would help. but I only ended up getting so sore in my throat, I could barely swallow without pain, my head was pounding, and I was coughing and breathing like I had asthma. I couldn't sleep flat, so i was propped up on all the pillows I had for sleeping. When I woke on Wed, I was feeling somewhat better, but within 20 min of getting ready for work, i was back in bed calling in sick for the day. I had to call off my dentist appt too. I slept pretty much the entire day. Aware of not much but my bed, and occasionally gettting up to get my Vernors. I woke on my 40th birthday feeling guilty that I had missed two days of training, but knowing how I was feeling, there was no way I was in a place where I could do anything, so I focused on what I could do to get better. I also decided I wasn't going to let it spoil my bday plans. So, I had my birthday mimosa  as planned for the day with eggs/bacon. then I was off to get my birthday massage.  Blessed Massage and with my headache, she worked with me and actually got some of my headache under control, the best I felt in the last week.  I got my birthday coffee at Starbucks,only to have them get the order wrong, and  since i couldn't taste anything anyway,  I didn't even drink it.   I was home and resting until my evening birthday dinner with a few friends at Olive Garden. Sadly by then I was in coughing mode and spent more time coughing then enjoying the meal. But I did enjoy my company and still had a good time. Home and in bed right away. Friday I woke, loaded up on cold medicine and headed down to Phx, got new running shoes and insoles, and headed over to Faster to get my power meter on!!! and a recheck of my bike fit. I was there for maybe 45 min. When he watched me on my bike, he did two minor tweaks, which made me feel even better on my bike, and then told me he'd see me again in a few weeks. He is adjusting slowly for me so that I can let my right leg adjust due to having all my knee issues with it. I'm so happy I went with him for the fitting and having my coach who are really focused on making sure I don't have any further injuries with my knee, etc.  I made a good choice in that I must say :)  
I"m so excited to get on my bike and ride, but my "cold" or what ever it is, has now moved into my chest, so hello to coughing with any exertion. I'm trying to be patient, but it's hard, cause I just want to get back to trianing. But I know if i go to soon, it will be worse for me. So patiently I wait. 
Met up with some friends for dinner and again, couldn't taste much, but had a great time chatting, laughing, losing my voice again, and dumping our entire meal on the floor (oops) and still getting a free birthday dessert. The perks of not being able to taste anything, is I don't eat to much, hence, get weight loss plan! LOL  Overall, I by far think I had one of the best birthday weeks of my life, with great friends, hanging out, etc. even with being sick, I had a good time. Once I got home, i was in bed, and slept all of Saturday. I didn't make it out of bed.  But, i didn't have to take as much meds, so i'm on the mend. Still not feeling good enough to workout.  Sunday, i actually for the first time, felt like running. but when I took the dogs out for a walk before Kahlua training class, i could tell I wasn't ready. So grrrrrrr....a whole week shot for training. I'm really frustrated, but also trying to be patient and let my body recover. The good thing is I at least still feel strong, so hopefully not much has been lost during my sick week.  and better now then later, when I'm closer to the race when I can't really afford to be sick.   My headaches are back some, but nothing near as what they were last week. Here's to a more healthy week ahead for training, and for my body.  

No comments:

Post a Comment