Sunday, February 18, 2018

Week Four- Recovery Week, Indigo Color Therapy

This is my Journey into my Return to Ironman- 2018. It's my journal/documentation of the ups and downs of what it takes to be an age-group athlete training for an Ironman triathlon. This is more of a way for me to remember what I am doing over the course of the training season.   As any Ironman Athlete can tell you, sometimes the days can blur into one training day of swim, bike, run after another. So, while some may not find this at all interesting, those that wonder...could I do an Ironman? Do I have what it takes to do an Ironman? I give you a peek into my journey and days to complete my next Ironman at Madison, Wisconsin on Sept. 9th, 2018.  Forgive any misspelled words/awkward sounding sentences. I'm pretty sure I'll be be happy just to get them down on the blog. Consider it a test of your mental skills to figure out what I'm saying. I hope you enjoy reading my journey. 






Overall Training Totals:

Swim      34,425  yds                   15:57  hr/min

Bike           30   Miles                    9:55  hr/min

Run            40   Miles                    9:04  hr/min

Other/                                             :40  hr/min
Strength

Overall  Training Time:                36:30  hr/min




This week felt like a blessed recovery week. After swimming every day for 7 days and doing double workouts, it's was kinda nice to take  it down a notch in training.  And I"ve been spending a good 10 min a day at lunch working on my exercises for my weak hip/leg muscles. I can feel them getting stronger. 

Monday-- was technically Day 8 of swimming. SO if I counted that in with my 7 days of swimming, by using the "swim mile" of 1650 yds, I swam 13.1 miles in 8 days.  I'm pretty proud of that.  For someone who isn't a swimmer, or an AM training person, I'm kinda excited to type this.  It definitely gives me a boost with my training. Especially since I took off a year. I can seem my 100s getting better by the week. And I could definitely tell that my running got easier outside.  I'm planning to do this more then once during my training, sounds like my coach is also on board with this too. 






Tuesday-- Just an easy run. I decided to go run out side since I'm having trouble on the treadmill with my left achilles, even with a lift.  And I did a beautiful run around Noyo Harbor Coastal Trail. And finished with 10 minutes to sunset. Not a back way to end the night. 









Wednesday- I was up and at the pool by 5 AM.  I was tired.  I got in my swim, but I felt slow. I felt off. I blame it on my period and my cramps.  They were horrible. SO horrible that I ended up calling my evening bike and went home and curled up in a fetal position with a heating pad, and my E-STim Unit on my ovaries.  Sorry if this is TMI, but it's becoming a big issue with my training. I just got a book called ROAR, recommended by my coach, and I did a 7 day regimen of vitimians the week before, and I have to say that it really helped, but it didn't help during my period. I'm in the process of trying to get to a new doctor to see if anything different can be done. I'm really getting tired of having 2-3 days of training having to be nixed for this stupid issue. SUPER FRUSTRATING!!!







Thursday.  I still didn't feel all that great today, but I ended up getting on the treadmill after work and doing my run with my new Garmin Foot Pod to see if there was a difference. It was minimal, but again, my issue was the stupid achilles pain in my left leg. I don't have this issue outside, So...luckily the days are getting longer, and i can run after work. Maybe if the AM corporates, I can do it before work outside too. 





Friday- Feeling better to day with my swim. While I still had to use my pull buoy for my workouts, I was able to get all my "fast" 100s under 2:00 min!!  That made me very happy!!  I pushed it, my lungs felt it. But I was super happy to see this on my Garmin.   Enjoyed my evening walking the sunset with the pups... it was COLD.








Saturday--- So yesterday after my swim, I ran in to Lisa, the awesome swim instructor, who informed me that she was subbing for spin on Saturday AM.  I decided to try out my garmin foot pod, and my Wahoo Pod to see if either of those would work to record all my time/miles on the spin bike.  Well, I knew better, it didn't, but I was  able to see how hard I was working with my spin.  RPMs in the 110-120s at times. And I think the mix up of sit, stand, hover, slow pedal, fast, has really helped me to focus on engaging my quads.   This was evident when I got home and on my bike trainer, and decided to just pedal, I ended up doing another 1:30 plus minutes to get in 30 miles. and my average speed was 18 mph.   18 mph.  I don't know when I EVER averaged that speed.  SO, I will have to do a few more test to see if this was just a fluke as it took me a good ten minute get all the data working, and a few desperate texts to my teammate for help.   I decided that the additional 1:12 I got from the spin class was to help make up for the time I lost last week due to cramps.   I took a long hot shower, immediately put on my poor mans compression of SKINS and promptly took a 3 hour nap.  I got to enjoy my favorite local pizza, and watch a movie.  












Sunday- I woke to windy/cloudy/rainy AM. I got the dogs walked. and changed for a nice cold brisk run.   I got in a nice 6 miles, and felt pretty decent. Got a nice pace. Got pelted by rain.  Then once again, home, hot shower, SKINS, then a nice nap. Groceries, walk the pups and played with my indigo glasses/filter for some cool pictures.    Overall a good recovery week.  















Indigo Lens filter....


Yes, they are indigo, and they make the world look amazing. I'm channeling my inner color therapy. 


New things for next week:  


 1. I am going to try the ROKA version of the Lava pants for swimming, this will allow me to "use"  

     a pull buoy but still use my legs to kick. 

2. I plan to try and do all my runs outside.  The treadmill is killing left achilles.  I did have it hurt  for  a bit during mile 4 of my run, but it did fade as it went on.  


3.  I have slacked a bit on my healthy eating. I plan to get back on schedule. I blame my period and all the stupid cravings. It's wrecked havoc on my gut, which is why I'm drinking Chamomile and Lavender tea right now. 



4.  I have tomorrow off, because as a traveler I can't work "holidays"  so I get to sleep in and not have to get up to swim at 5 AM.    Nice...maybe 8 AM after I walk the dogs.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment