Sunday, February 25, 2018

Week Five- Kinda Trained, Sick, and Whales

This is my Journey into my Return to Ironman- 2018. It's my journal/documentation of the ups and downs of what it takes to be an age-group athlete training for an Ironman triathlon. This is more of a way for me to remember what I am doing over the course of the training season.   As any Ironman Athlete can tell you, sometimes the days can blur into one training day of swim, bike, run after another. So, while some may not find this at all interesting, those that wonder...could I do an Ironman? Do I have what it takes to do an Ironman? I give you a peek into my journey and days to complete my next Ironman at Madison, Wisconsin on Sept. 9th, 2018.  Forgive any misspelled words/awkward sounding sentences. I'm pretty sure I'll be be happy just to get them down on the blog. Consider it a test of your mental skills to figure out what I'm saying. I hope you enjoy reading my journey. 



Overall Training Totals:

Swim       39,425 yds                   18:02  hr/min

Bike         42.97  Miles                 10:55  hr/min

Run          49.02 Miles                  10:48  hr/min

Other/                                          1:00   hr/min
Strength

Overall  Training Time:                 40:45 hr/min






Monday-  Today I got to sleep in. I had the day off thanks to a holiday. Kinda would of been ok working, but I'll take it. I got in my bike ride in the am. I got to finally try out my BASE gear from last year, since I didn't race. I'm kinda happy to report,that my WHOLE 30 in January, helped me get back into my workout gear. I dropped over 10 lbs and my shorts felt good, and my top was LOOSE!!   Still working on my clean eating diet. Spent the day getting all my meals prepped for the week. 








After my bike, I refueled, and then headed over to the pool and got in my swim. First time using ROKA Sim Shorts. Got them for a pretty amazing deal of under 50$ so I couldn't pass it up. I swam pretty darn fast. And I felt good, except for my right shoulder letting me know it's tweaky. Reminiscent
 of my first IM when I got biceps tendonitis. I am back on my clean eating with the hopes of kicking this in the butt.  But I got in some decent 100s, then I took it easy on the last ones. Enjoyed the hot tub for a bit, then off to get groceries and cook up all my clean eating meals for the week.  


I have more gear for swimming then I know what to do with!  





Spent the evening enjoying the sunset with my Indigo Glasses and a freezing cold walk on the ocean. Then home to relax. 
My newest thing seems to be a cup of Chamomile and Lavender tea at bed time. I am normally not a tea person, but for some reason, this is something I'm enjoying.  





Tuesday rolled around and my week of training hit a bit of a stand still. I was off to get my eye exam and new glasses due to some issues. And while at the eye doctors, I either got motion sickness from all the adjustments from staining.  And trying on new glasses...which I think I got brown ones????   I was coming home to go run, and was over come by crazy nausea and fatigue. I ended up in bed by 5:30 PM and was horizontal until the am.  





Wednesday was no better, I  was still feeling crappy when I woke, I invisiioned vomiting while flip turning in the pool and realized my AM workout was a bust.  Off to work, with a breakfast and lunch of Vernors and Crackers.  I finished the day and was yet again in bed by 5:30 pm and horizontal til the AM.  




                        This made me smile on the way into work....


I woke thursday feeling a bit hopeful. I packed my bag for running in the PM. While I still felt sorta off. I didn't feel as bad. And knowing how it took over a month in December to get over my bug...I decided on a slow easy 3 mile run on the treadmill at the gym.  I got home and packed my bag with the hopes of doing a swim in the am to make up for the last two days. 





Woke Friday AM and was feeling better, so I was up and off to swim. I actually got in a really good workout. Maybe having so many days of rest helped. that and the ROKA swim shorts.  I got in a 400 in 7:49 min. That is huge for me. I was surprised I did that. I know a good portion of that was due to my SWIM TOWER 26 training as I now feel comfortable kicking in the pool. And while I normally need a pull buoy for freak out moments, I used the shorts, and was able to kick, stay in good alignment and felt good.  After work, I was feeling a bit crappy again, and I was back in bed and resting for the evening. 




Each day a bit lighter out when I leave swimming. 



Saturday, I woke feeling crappy. I took some meds and I rested, cleaned the apt as best I could and got ready for my planned Whale Watching adventure to check off my 43 List.  I took all my dramamine, my seabed acupressure wrist bands. I met up with my fellow co workers, and we all went out and had a great time on the water. I had to keep three points of contact with the boat other wise my nausea would kick in. Every time I tried to grab something out of my pocket, the boat would sway and I would have zero balance, until I had three points of contact. I even had one pretty impressive fall backwards with the lady behind me catching me. and I'm pretty sure it was caught on video by a co worker. Which I will post if this is so.  I got to see about 10 whales, while they weren't playing as nicely with us. We did get to enjoy them.  I didn't get to many pictures, as again, I had to hold on. I only started getting nauseous during the last half, and mainly on the way back to the harbor. I did get a chance to eat some fresh crab legs caught just that morning and the captain and his crew gave us a sand dollar a fun treasure.  We met up for lunch at our favorite Piaci's Pizza Place. I was not able to eat much due to still nauseous, and then headed home to walk the dogs. I had some delayed nausea and spent the evening relaxing and staying horizontal. 


















Sunday I woke to feeling better. Got up and walked the dogs.  Then I was off to run my 6 miles on the ocean.   It doesn't get much better than this.  I finished off my afghan for my 43 List, and rested the afternoon being lazy.    



see the heart?  :)




While it wasn't the best week for training.  I seemed to mainly have missed my bike rides.  I'm hoping this is just a one time thing, and not a normal thing. I had this problem last time, where I just couldn't get my butt on the trainer to get my workouts in.  I can't let that happen again.  This is why my spin classes are needed here, to keep me motivated. But Monday is my favorite one. I may have to get myself there tomorrow night just to get my butt back on the bike.  Hopefully coach will be okay with this if I do it.    On to the next week of training....


















No comments:

Post a Comment