Saturday, July 30, 2016

Vineman 70.3 Race Report/Weekend

This is my Journey into the World of Ironman. It's my journal/documentation of the ups and downs of what it takes to be an age-group athlete training for an Ironman triathlon. This is more of a way for me to remember what I am doing over the course of the training season, as any Ironman Athlete can tell you, sometimes the days can blur into one training day of swim, bike, run after another. So, while some may not find this at all interesting, those that wonder...could I do an Ironman? Do I have what it takes to do an Ironman? I give you a peek into my journey and days to complete my next Ironman.  Forgive any misspelled words/awkward sounding sentences. I'm pretty happy just to get them down on paper. Consider it a test of your mental skills to figure out what I'm saying. Hope you enjoy reading my journey.



Who likes the Packers?? Yes, Brett Farve, was there supporting his wife who was racing. 








Current Training Totals:   (updated as of 6-25-16)

Swim        122,928 yds            50:15 hr/min

Bike          1025.98  Miles        84:50 hr/min

Run           402.03  Miles         85:49 hr/min

Other/                                      28:15 hr/min
Strength

Overall  Training Time:         249:09 hr/min



My last "training race" is officially in the books. Vineman 70.3 in Windsor, California which happened this past month on Sunday on July 10, 2016.  It was a pretty beautiful and amazing race. Here's what I loved most about this race:


  •  The views of this race, it was really hard to not just stop and take in the scenery.   Running and biking through wine country has been one of my bucket list items.  (ok it's bike the coast and through wine country, but this was pretty close)
  •  Getting to spend a lot of time with my FC teammates for really the first time, making great new friends in the process. 
  •  Getting to race at sea level (amazing how much better you can breath)  
  •  Providing my friend hopefully with one of the best birthday gifts I could get him,            (getting his favorite all-time athlete, Andy Potts, who won the race, to make a video message to wish him a happy birthday) 
  •  Hanging out at the BASE Booth with Matt Miller, and meeting other cool Base Ambassadors and peddling salt as much as possible. 
  •  Making a lot of new friends with random people hanging out at the bar and during/after the race.
  • The wine....and well honestly the margaritas....
  • Finding my love of training and racing again.  It's been missing for quite a while. And I have had a hell of a time trying to get it back.  



Pre-Race Fun

I drove up to the race on Thursday morning. Driving through Needles to Barstow, I must say that area had a lot more life then when I did it ten years ago. It was barren then, and you were in a dead zone for over 140 miles.  Now there is so much activity, I felt like I saw a cell tower on every high area along the drive.  I drove on to new territory on my way to Bakersfield and up the 5.  I got to enjoy a two lane highway full of semi's and a little rest stop called Boron. ( I call it Borin' for lack of a better word).I had a nice conversation with my friend Stacy to cheer me up on the drive though this area.   And then thru Bakersfield and up until the next morning I didn't realized the hotel I booked was in a little town called  Los Banos.  Let me tell you. It lived up to the name, because the initial "stench" I smelled coming into town said it all. Ironically, the hotel was quite nice, and I had a good nights sleep.   Woke Friday to drive up through San Fran, and did some brief sightseeing at the Golden Gate Bridge, then drove over it (bucket list: check), then headed up to the rental.  Got in early and the host was actually kind enough to let me settle in early with the dogs. Then I headed over to the race site, got checked in, then hung out and chatted with Matt at the Base booth for a bit before I headed over and got my mandatory race t shirt with the names, and a few memorabilia. I even got a cool wine glass. Wasn't sure if I should have been offended or depressed when the guy asked if I was sure I only wanted to get one.  Umm....


Pup Cups from Starbucks in Las Banos








Back to the rental, dogs good, off to store for some staples and off to dinner to hang with the Team FC crew at The Juicy Pig.  Enjoying meeting new teammates and hanging out.  Had some really great conversation. Knew I was going to enjoy hanging out with this crew for the weekend.






I touched him....





Back to the rental and off to bed for the night. 

Woke Saturday. Got a late start, so did my bike ride first, then proceeded to lose my keys for the next hour and a half. Once I finally found them, I decided to skip my swim, and I just went and got my gear checked in. Which was a good thing considering it was all in different  places. I got my bike checked in after a long wait in line with the car, checked out the swim area,  then drove over to T2 to get my run gear checked in. Hung out again at the Base Booth for a bit, then headed home to relax and have dinner.  And hang out with my teammates. 













Race Morning

Woke in the AM, and me and my Roomie Adam (separate rooms, geez I just met him the night before at the Pig)  got up and ready and then wished each other good luck and head out to the race site.  I went a bit later as I was in the absolute last female swim wave, and luck would have it the parking area was closed, which they then scored me a front row spot and I zipped right in with a more than willing donation to the local group.  I sat in the car for a bit, eating my breakfast, listened to some motivation music and then headed down to the race site. 








The Transition was right next to the river. The river was really kinda cool. I was really liking this race venue and I can see why a lot of people like it.  So I got my bike setup, and saw my coach, and my other teammates, and then we all headed over to the swim start to hang out until it was our time. 


The temperature was really nice, I wasn't cold, and was maybe a bit warm in my wetsuit, but I was kinda excited to get in the water and see what I could do.  I was a bit nervous, because I once again was having a horrible training time. And my coach told me to use this race to just race and enjoy it. So that's what I was going to do. I was going to let myself enjoy the race, and see if I could find my love for racing again. As my motivation has been horribly off.  

Soon, the pink caps, aka 40-44 women (always fricking pink) were lined up. I hung with Adrienne and we headed to the entrance to the water, then we were in the water and soon getting ready to start.  Bobbing in the water, looking forward at the river and the bridge in front of me,  I was struck by how pretty the scenery was, and how I wish I could honestly take a kayak up the river and just take pictures.  Tomorrow?  Ha....I was going to have to stay focused if I wanted to have a good race.  So then the count down began...3...2...1...Boom!!!  Off we went. 


The swim was a bit hectic as usual in the beginning, but I was pretty excited i was able to get my rhythm pretty quickly, and then I was pretty surprised how quickly the buoy's were going by.  Then before I knew it I was at the turnaround, and as I was getting closer, all of a sudden I noticed people were walking beside me. I had had been warned that usually the water at the turnaround was really shallow and sometimes you had to just stand up  because you couldn't swim. It was about 2 feet of water, and honestly I was swimming faster with a modified stroke then people were walking, so I'd just swim by them at their knees as I went around the turnaround. A rather weird feeling. I did at times, dig my hands into the sand/rocks and push my self forward a bit. And then I was back into the swim, and on my way back to the start. I was surprised that I was still feeling good and that I was not feeling as tired.  Not as many age group men behind me were plowing over me, so I was thinking either they were slow, or I was a bit faster. As I came under the bridge and turned to swim to the finish, I stood up and headed up to the arch. Watch stopped....I had swam it in 43: 34.  Almost a 2 min PR!!!!!  FINALLY!!! I got a PR this year.... that made me very happy. 




T1

I ran up the exit and around the end, pit stop in the bathroom, I wouldn't make the Boulder 70.3 mistake and have to wait 18 miles. and then quickly down to my bike and got ready to head out.  I may have had one of my faster transition times at 6:21 min/sec.  So off I ran with my bike, out the bike arch, and ran up the hill before I mounted my bike and I was off. 


Bike

To say the course was beautiful was an understatement, it took all i could do to not, stop and slow down and just look at the scenery. It was a beautiful course. It was full of rolling hills. I focused on keeping my nutrition correct like I did in Boulder 70.3 and was able to keep myself in a good space nutrition wise.  

I managed to laugh and joke with a few people when we were all going slow up the steep hill. I managed to not get run off the road by a car that was blaring its horn at a biker in front of me that wouldn't get over. I actually reached out and touched it as I was rounding a corner, and was staring at the 1 foot plus dropoff where the shoulder should be.  I'm not sure how I managed to not die in that moment. But I survived and I kept pedaling forward. I think taking some of the pressure off was helping me to relax and just pedal.  

I made sure to thank every police officer I saw on course, and every volunteer I talked with. I still had trouble with a lot of athletes who didn't stay to the right , and I had to "legally" pass in the middle of the road, then hoping I would make them see , I would zip all the way over to the right and continue on.    Then I was rolling down the street and heading into T2 by the high school, and getting ready to head out on my final leg. 

Bike Time: 3:32 hour/min.  








T2  9:13.  

I ran under the arch and down to my bike, I changed out my shoes  and hat. I was hot.  I threw on my bib, and headed out to start the run, I stopped off quickly at the porta potty. and then l walked more until I realized some where I had already walked under the arch and was now on the run.  Oops.  Later I would learn, that it was right before the ports potty's...so I'm not sure what really happen with my Transition time. 


Run.  

I started out on the run, feeling good.  I was running around a 11:51 pace,  not fast, but appropriate for me to start out for my 13.1 miles at the end of a swim and bike.  I got to see  some of my teammates, Jay, ran by in Base Gear, and we cheered each other on as we passed. I saw a lot of my FC teammates where some gave me a blank stare.  I did not see my coach, she was that fast that I missed her. I then focused on running the rolling hills and keeping cool. I did walk a few times in the beginning, but I have been working really hard on not letting myself walk. But a couple hills got me, and then I pushed on.  

One of the cooler parts of the race is that we got to run through a winery.  Again, I really wanted to stop and explore, and take pictures. All of which I could not do during a race. So I kept running.  When I got out of the winery, I begin to get hot, and the mile between 8-9 I was beginning to slow, and walked for a bit to get my bearing and get back at it, it took me about 3 miles total to get back in the game, and the last two miles I was able to run under a 12 min mile, which for me at the end of a 70.3 was  pretty good. I always seem to fall apart, and slow way down.  I focused on just pushing through and running, with my coach's words of wisdom in my head...."anyone can run a mile..... ". I didn't want to let her down. So I ran my last two miles at a pace that I was happy with.  

La Crema Winery we ran thru


Then, finally I was running back toward the school and was shuttle off the road and running on the sidewalk with lots of cheering and support. I always love how my Cheers are always to "go Kristin"  Keep it up Kristin", Maybe I just need to switch the writing on my bib to Kristin vs Kristie, I'm guessing the angle they read it confuses them.   Then the sidewalk gave way and I turned toward the school and the finish line. I was happy that I had a faster run time, and that I was able to run better at the end.  I ran into the shoot, there was still some crowds that cheered me on as I ran and then under the finish arch I went, and I was done.  I stopped and was given my medal.  I paused and did an assessment....No trouble breathing. Whew, no vocal cord dysfunction today!!!! Then I got my hat and water, and saw my coach who gave me a hug, then got a quick picture, and went over to get food with my teammates.  I was done. I was happy. I actually enjoyed the race. I felt good. I hurt, but I felt good. I felt like I could BREATH. I'll attribute most of that to the sea level. 












After I got food and drink. I then with the help of Adrienne got some kind support from my team to take my bike and drive me back to the rentals, and my car so I didn't have to take the shuttle. Then after a looooong hot shower, we all went across the street to a local bar with great foods, drinks and company with the team. I got mistaken again for a Pro,  those tri tats are something else.....I explained when he asked me if I was a pro, that " yes, I bring up the last 25% of the field."  We had a good talk with him and his wife, and then got food, and went and visiting and recapped the race with the teammates.  I had a really good time. I was so happy. This was what it was supposed to be like when I race.  Surrounded by your team and friends. I got this in Boulder with the Base Team and then here with my FC Team. I ignored the fact that I was going home to my rental to train alone, again.   Something is going to have to change for next year. I have been training mostly alone for the last 10 years, I'm not sure I have the desire to do that anymore.


Woke up the next day and got all packed with dogs loaded in the car, said goodbye to teammates still there, and headed off for the Pacific Ocean and to drive down Highway One. The dogs had their first trip to the Ocean, and I'm pretty sure they had fun.   I was planning to go up to Sea Glass Beach, but for some reason I just wasn't feeling it. I actually turned around once, only to turn back. Just gives me an excuse to come back and race again next year.   


Ahhh...the Pacific Ocean...















Happy Dogs!!

still barking...




Happy to be at the Ocean....so relaxing.




Now on to my final training for Ironman Mont-Tremblant in Canada. August 21, 2016.  





1 comment: