Saturday, June 14, 2014

Race Weekend - Boulder 70.3 Half Ironman

FREAKING OUT, but ironically calm and ….HAPPY!!!

Amazing what a few days can do to your psyche. It’s been a roller coaster of emotions since the last post. I managed to get packed.  Monday I swam, came home and did a little cleaning, and at least wrote out my list. Tuesday I ended up staying late at work, but once home and got the dog sitter ready with instructions. I got on my trainer and rode. I’m still struggling with keeping my power maintained. So I just did that best I could, then ran my 25 min. then it was about 8 pm. I started to pack and got my stuff in bags. I packed a lot of stuff. Like I felt like it  was a lot. But when you add it up. I needed it…all of it. I had my tri bag, my shoe bag, swim bag, bike, run bag, books/training journal, computer, Ipad, Iphone, suitcause with all my clothes, toiletry bag. Pillows.  Yoga mat, foam roller.  Then there is my cooler and food. Whew! I felt like packed more then when I went to Billings, at least with all my tri stuff. Because I had my racing gear, then my training gear.  And since I’m not staying in a hotel, I needed other stuff. So….I got what I think was most of it done, Then I had dinner, at 11 pm.   Bed. I woke on Wed, with the intention of heading to Albq. So I could split my days. But then I just couldn't get going, I was tired. So I opted for my second option, go visit my good couple friends up in Show Low on the way. So I gave them and shout, and they didn’t hesitant. So off I went to walk the dogs, finish laundry, run to the store to get last minute food for travel, cash for the sitter. Etc.  Then I was packed, and out the door by 12:30 PM ish.   So I headed up to Show Low. I met up with Pam and Walt, we went to our usual and had a good dinner, and I had enough left over to bring with me to Boulder.  But I was finally relaxed. It was so good to talk with them, I don’t think they liked the news that I am looking to leave in the fall, as I’m kinda there adopted dtr. They are such great people, and I can say I’ll really  miss them. So I was so happy we got a chance to hang out for a bit. We hung out for a bit on the porch with the neighbors and had a beer. Then Walt with his keen instincts, made us go, cause I had an early day. I was waking up at 3 AM to drive to Boulder.  




Back at the cottage, I relaxed in the chair. Got lots of kisses from the dogs, and Zena kept talking to me all night, it was pretty cute.  Then off to bed. I actually fell right asleep and slept hard and ironically woke up wide away when the alarm went off. I was up and ready and out the door  as planned at 3 pm.  I got some wildlife on the road out. I didn’t get a pic of the first one, and his rack was 3x the size of those in the picture.  The sun was rising as I headed toward the AZ state line. I had to stop a few times as I was getting tired. But I had my compression hose on, per coaches orders, and I was breaking every 2 hours, since I didn’t have the dogs with  me as previously planned. As much as I wished they were with me, its nice to relax and not have to worry about them. I know they are in good hands with my dog sitter.    

Got into Boulder around 3 ish, but thanks to traffic, I didn't get into Boulder til 4:30 ish. And because I was minutes away from my bladder bursting. I managed to find a Target.  Got to the Rental from Home Away. and got settled in. So cute, and super nice.  Make a quick unload, and headed over to Boulder Reservoir to shake out the legs and get in a quick 30 min run. I was more excited to be there and take pictures, but I got my run in and got my second wind. Stopped off at Safeway on the way home and got groceries for dinner/ breakfast. Home and ate, hot shower, relaxed. 


Friday, I slept in. I was so comfortable in the bed that I literally slept in til 8. But that was 7 AM AZ time, so I have the time change still.  I got up, made breakfast , and was planning on getting in a warm up swim, but after checking with a few sources, they only had a very small 200 yd squ area open for kids, no open water swimming allowed , so after some debate, I decided to forgo the swim. I took a walk down to Pearl Street and took in some of the sights of Pearl Street Mall, 




and then came home. I didn't drink enough water, I was hot. So I ended up taking a 2 hour nap until I needed to head over to check in for the race.  I knew by this time my parents were on their way, and I was checking in with them to see how far they were from Boulder. Knowing I still had time, I headed out to drive the bike course . The first 25 miles is intimidating with all the hills and false flats. But I know that I'm as prepared as I can be, and I will execute the race according to plan as best as I can per coaches orders :)  

Headed over to Expo after back from drive, picked up some goodies for Mom and Dad, and went to Pre Race Meeting at 5:30 pm. Then headed to store to buy stuff for Mom and Dad for their "welcome" bags full of goodies (water, fruit, chips, snack bars, etc. ) Then when they called I headed over to help them unload and give them their goodies, we ended up talking for a few hours. had to call it quits and get home to bed. 

Woke up on Saturday, and man, the days are a bit of a blur. I'm so happy, my parents are here, But i"m also focused on making sure they are taken care of, so it's a bit of a good distraction I think to not get worried about the race. Got in a quick 35 min bike ride at the start of the course. All uphill and false flat.  So it was a good mental ride to prepare me for knowing I'll go slow at the start, and I just need to stay within my limits, and pace myself as needed. When I turned around, I FLEW down the hill, so I know that the first 25 ish miles of false flats and uphill, will be redeemed when I can fly down the course on the back side.  SO first mantra....."Stay Within Yourself!"  on the bike.  Once back, I ran home, got shower and cleaned up and mom and dad came to my rental to hang out while I got ready.  Ended up heading back to race course, and dropping oft the bike and racking it in Transition, only to get hit with the 20% chance of rain/downpour that confined us to the Ironman Store tent. 












 So we watched the rain fall on the water. It was fun watching my parents, pick out a few items to remember my  race by. Just felt happy they were there!!  But by this time, I could tell they were tired, and needed to rest. And food. So we headed out and the plan was Olive Garden. So I thought there was one in Boulder, but couldn't find it, so we drove to one about 14 miles away. Only to discover it was a Twin Peaks resturant. I was hungry enough at this point to just say the heck with it and go in. RIght up until we watched this scantly clad waitress walk across the parking lot and head in to the resturant. Then, we decided what "twin Peaks" really stood for. Needless to say, we found a PF Changs down the way and ate there.  After dinner, we headed home and parted ways for the night. I to relax, and get everything ready to go, and to bed early. And my parents to go relax and go to bed early.  I'm sure there is more to say, but I'll review and add to what I missed after the race.  This is it for now! 

Now I sit here and am relaxing with me feet up, drinking my pre Load OSMO drink before bed. I wonder if they choose the "margarita" flavour to let us think we were getting a special "treat" before race day. 

So, here's to a great race tomorrow, executed per my coaches recommendations.... And I think it's going to be a good day. See you in 70.3 Miles!!!  

My quote to end this post , comes from my forturne cookie.   

Tomorrow is a good day for trying something new!   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment