Sunday, June 8, 2014

6 Days til Boulder 70.3 Half Ironman ---Self Supported = Stressful

I am Stressed!!! Trying to prepare for a Ironman, out of state,  with no support crew, is really a bit overwhelming.   I have been lucky enough in my first two Ironmans with 70.3's also for training to have a "support crew". Close friends willing to be my Ironman Sherpa's and support me in what ever I need, from carrying stuff (including me! ) to and from my car on race day, bringing me dinner the night before, to taking pictures and cheering me on in those dark moments of the race, to keeping friends and family a far updated on Facebook/text message of my progress on the race course, to helping me train.  I feel lost without having these amazing selfless friends who take time out of their lives to help support me with my crazy dreams!!  I'm so thankful that they have done as much as they have for me, and I know they wish they could be there for these next two races. 

 It didn't help that the weekend (this weekend) before my race, I had a Spinal Continuing Education Course for 8 hr Sat and Sun.  And do to the mental focus needed for the class, and getting so much body work done (I finally got my T5 Facet to release after years of fellow PTs trying to get it to release!), I literally fell into my bed the first day and slept through my workout on Saturday night, and woke up just in time to head into Day 2 of class, only to get home from that, and be so overwhelmed from everything and feeling "out of body" from all the spinal manipulation, that I was just too sore to do my workout,  and I am still having an issue with my IT Band from a workout a few days ago so resting seemed like the logical/safe thing to do. So, I took a deep breath, made up my To Do List that's a mile long, and got to work checking them off. I've checked off enough to make it more under control and not feel as stressed.  My coach thankfully, agreed that my body must of needed the rest and I have to listen to my body.  I've come to the conclusion that I am just starting my "taper" for the race two days earlier than planned.

Ironically, I'm rather calm about my training and not freaking out about missing two days. I was actually freaking out a couple weeks ago, and thankfully had amazing support from my FC Team in CA.  And all their words of support have helped eased that fear of feeling not ready. I can do this race, and I have to remember, it's just a training race. It's prep for the "big one" in August. I just received my  Race Plan from my Coach for the Boulder 70.3, and I like it, It almost seems just a tad bit conservative. But that's the plan. So my goal is to stick with it.   I must be Patient. and I must keep telling myself this during the race, and not try to hammer it and get a faster time. Ever race I do is different, and I cannot rely on the times for my progress. the Course, the elevation, hills, wind, its all different for EVERY Race!!  So, really this race will be a PR (Personal Record) for me on this course, cause it's my first time racing it.  I need this race to get my motivation/mindset back. It's so easy to get off course when training. The fears and doubts began to creep in and really can reck havoc on all your training, your mind, your motivation, if  your prepared enough. And it's a true test of how strong of a person you are to not let that "get in your head". I've failed at that the last month, I've let those fears get in my head and mess with my training. So I'm excited  and ready to get this race under my belt, and get myself  back on track with the right mindset for training for Boulder Ironman in August.   This is on part of the course for the Full IRONMAN 140.6 I'll be doing, so I can really get a good idea of what I'll be doing in August, and having a few extra "vacation" days here will allow me to train on the course as well.   


At this moment , I'm trying not to think ahead to race day where I'll be alone and not have anyone supporting me. I know I have people from a far, but it's so nice to have someone there supporting you and  cheering for you. It's nice to have someone keeping friends and family updated on your progress. And It makes all the difference on a tough spot on the course, having someone you know,  shout out words of encouragement.   I guess it's good to practice, because It will be the same in Aug. during Ironman Boulder, which will make this seem like a piece of cake. I'll be alone and I can only pray I'm not hobbling like I was last year, were my support crew was instrumental with helping me get to/from the hotel and collecting my gear, carrying me to the car, etc.  But that's for another day to worry about. Right now, I'll focus on this race.  Anyone interested in supporting me from a far. You can go to www.ironman.com and scroll down to the bottom, it should say LIVE Race Coverage, and it should have 70.3 Boulder listed, and you should be able to click on that and watch live feed of the finish. And if you go into Athlete Tracker, and look me up by name or Bib # .  Also on your iphone, you can download and app call IronTrac for .99 cents and look me up that way. I won't have my usual support crew to update on Facebook for me.   


This week has been tough trying to get in everything with training.  I got in my Monday swim just fine. Tuesday, I was able to get in my bike workout on the trainer. Wednesday ended up being a very long day with working over 12 hours between two jobs. I had a longer workout, and didn't get to the Y til 6:30 PM. Only to have the most crazy night swimming in the pool with people literally jumping in my lane and swimming without waiting to let me know that they are there, and even starting to circle swim with out letting me or the other swimmer in my lane know. CRAZY!! I was super happy to get done and get out. Then, I was trying to decide if I should do my run, which would be 4 x 800 repeats, on the treadmill by this time as it was close to 8 PM now. I was hesitant because my IT Band had been a bit tender and acting up. But I decided to just go start out at the warmup with an easy jog. And although I could feel my IT Band being sore, it wasn't painful, so I went for it. and managed 4 at 8:39 mile/min repeats. I finished around 9 PM  and was the only one on the treadmill. I headed home and fell into bed.I at least planned out my week to take off Thursday to get in my long ride/run due to being in my course this coming weekend. But when I woke on Thursday, I could barely walk, my IT Band was super tender to touch and I had some very tight hamstrings.  Luckily I had a massage setup at 2 pm. So I spent the morning sleeping, and then actually doing some chores and getting the house semi ready for me to leave. I kept debating if I could just get on the bike trainer for an hour? a half an hour?  My whimpering while I walked told me no. I knew that if I made it worse, I'd set myself up for trouble for my race. So I went to my massage, She got a good amount of kinks out, but I still was hurting. So home I came and on went the ice packs. I even opted out of my weekly Softball game because I knew if I even tried to go, I would try and run, and that really would just make things worse. So, I found out we had enough females, and I stayed home, on ice for the rest of  the night. Friday, I was still hobbling pretty good at work, but luckily I got a fellow therapist to Kineso-Tape my IT Band, and show me how to do it, and I felt about 80% better by the end of the day. Once home, I again debated on the run. But decided, just start with the warm up, and if it hurt, I'd stop. So off I went on my 1:35hr/min run and by the time the warm up was done, I was feeling "okay". So I went for the first of 3 sets for 8 minutes in my zone 3-4 and felt okay, and then did the 2nd and 3rd. I had to make a pit stop at home for more water, as it was 88 degrees. I like the fact that I was doing okay in the heat, which I'll need for Boulder. I usually bonk around 85 degrees, but the last few training runs in the upper 80s, I have been doing pretty well...thank you OSMO nutrition!   I did however have a hard time staying in my recommended zone. I just couldn't get focused for some reason. I did better on the cool down, but I was pretty sore when I was done.  Hot Shower, and then recovery compression tights.  I'm loving my recovery compression tights, they have become a staple in my recovery process.  So  As mentioned above Sat and Sunday, I missed my workouts. I was frustrated that I missed them, but I have to realize that two workouts won't break all that I've currently been doing in training and if anything, with the way I'm feeling, it will only help me get stronger, because I'll be injury free for race day.  I just have to have faith.  So, I just need to.....

                            Trust Your Journey!   BREATHE.     Trust Your Journey!! 
 so far, the weather is looking good!!! 







No comments:

Post a Comment