Sunday, September 8, 2013

Week Nine of FC Coaching/Training


Disclaimer:  This blog is a documentation of my now second Ironman Journey for AZ Ironman 2013. I’m doing this race for a former patient, Sunny, who just recently passed away from a brain tumor. I hope that I can honor her well as I take her on my journey.   Format will be random, i.e. quick journal format, random thoughts, motivational quotes, pictures of random moments and memories along my journey. For the most part, it’s documentation for me and may not be to exciting for anyone else to read, but for those of you brave enough to ever wonder…could I do an Ironman or even just a triathlon?  I then offer you a firsthand account of what goes on in the mind of an Ironman age group triathlete including all the highs, lows, emotions, fears, rants, etc, etc.   Please forgive any spelling mistakes as I’m sure I am just happy to get everything written down, just chalk it up to fatigue from lots of training! 

Current Stats Overall:

SWIM:  ~154,862 Yds   
BIKE: ~ 1056.80 Miles    
RUN: ~   307.15 Miles   
Strength: ~ 24:55 hr/min
Other      ~ 11:06 hr/min (PT, Stretch, etc. )
Total Training Hours:  249:42 hours/minutes

This training week started out with a rest day. I was pretty tired from the long ride and run on Sunday so I choose to take today off. Of course, I  can home with the intention to run, but after I woke from my four hour “recovery nap” it turned into a rest day. J

Tuesday I got home and didn't give myself a chance to do anything but go run. I was out the door in 15 min and ran the neighborhood, and up the hill by my place. What was nice is that it felt easy J The run was 7 miles, So I was also happy that most of my zone training is in Zone one  at a eleven min pace. Happy since just weeks ago I wasn't running at all. I do have to make sure I don’t over do it, and increase to much too soon. Otherwise, I can be right back in injury mode.  IT was hot to  around 81 degrees, but I got it done and it was good practice if race day is hot.

Wednesday- I got to the Y after work and was in the pool I had a 1600 yd short and fast workout, I felt tired. I got it in, but my 25s were a bit slower by a few seconds. I debated on doing my longer workout and the short one tomorrow with the bike. But I decided to stick to my plan. I was home after an hour or so, and was on my bike trainer til almost 8 pm. I got in 20 solid miles in 1:30 hr/min. I am accepting the fact that I will have lower milege on my trainer than if I was out on the road. IT’s just the nature of the beast. I work harder and solid on the bike with no rest breaks unless I stop. On the road, I have times  I can coast when I want, not so much on the trainer.

Thursday, I had the day off as I work again on Saturday. I slept in til 8ish, then was up and off to the Y after some breakfast. I did one of my first 3000yd workouts since starting FC training. I’m happy to report….it felt good J and most of it was with out the pull buoy. So it was all me. I felt good when I was done.  So good, that I decided to go to Fusion of Movement and do a Suspension Training class (think TRX). Well I went easy, but it kicked my butt when I was done. Mainly the deep squats with the polymeric jump at the end. Now I knew this could be trouble, so I actually went easy on them. Apparently not easy enough, cause I couldn't walk for two days without pain in my hamstrings,  all glute muscles and a very sore butt. Uppers were good, but my triceps were pretty sore on day two.

Friday, since I couldn't walk without pain, became rest day number two of the week, and I slept another 4 hours for “recovery” when I got home. I felt better when I woke. But I went right back to sleep. I also forgot to eat dinner I was so tired!

Saturday I had to work, so when I got home, I decided to go for my long 1:50 run, but I would go by what my legs were feeling knowing I had a long ride and run on Sunday. I ended up only getting in 5 miles, and 1:05. But I was being conservative and it was the right decision.

Sunday I woke to amazing rolling thunder and storms. But that didn't work out for my five hour bike ride. L Nor did the flat I had before I even started!  



So much to my dreading, I got on my trainer and did the required workout for Threshold, and Tempo. My legs were sore and tired, so it was harder then I planned. I lasted exactly 3:30 hr/min on the trainer. Then I was done, no more. So I got off, and got in my 4 mile run which was surprising comfortable at 11:30 pace with a HR zone of 1.9. I even did some at 10:30 in the beginning at Zone 1.9. Nice.  And I loved that this whole week, whether I did or didn't ride first, My hip did not hurt. And I only got in one PT session. So it’s getting better.  Finally!!!

Next week is Recovery Week. Whew much needed I must say.  Now the training is starting to get more intense, and more volume is being added. I’m getting that Ironman Fatigue. I just read an article about it in my Triathlete, and well some of the comments really made sense.   For Example:

You know you are going long ( training for an Ironman) when :

1.     A few weeks into your program, friends who do not ride, run or swim with you become dead to you. Temporarily. You’ll beg their forgiveness and understanding post –race. I've turned down a lot of invites to activities because I had to get in my workout. I know they understand, but still. I wish I could join them.
2.     You oddly lose at least two hours of each day to a haze where in mental focus is near impossible and the most mundane tasks – like folding laundry, scrambling eggs, suddenly require a high level of skill and effort.  The haze increases in duration as your training progresses. I have to say, I’ve been eating a lot more PB and J and tuna out of the package.
3.     You no longer bother styling your hair post shower. And makeup? Forget it, you’ll just be back in the pool, on the bike, run within a few hours.

4.     Responding to texts, or other tasks such as walking the dogs, which normally receive immediate attention, now take up to an hour to muster the motivation to complete. Things that once received 12-24 hr turnaround- like returning emails or paying bills- now take up to two to four weeks. This by far has been the worst one!!! I think it took me three weeks to tell my friend, I had to bail on Yosemite L.  To top it off, I can start a task and find out I didn’t finish it all the way two hours later (see picture).


 I also managed to do a full load of laundry and didn’t notice I left the clothes in the basket on the floor until the rinse cycle started and I remembered to add the fabric softener.  So if I don't write it down, you can pretty much forget that I'm going to remember it. I went to the grocery store today with the intent of getting stuff for stuffed bell peppers. I came home with meat and cheese, I forgot everything else! LOL What is sad, is I'm seriously just happy I remember to feed the dogs!  



 SO, I’m ready for recovery week. And a few days off, as working two weekends in a row has taken it’s toll on me as well. I’m looking forward to a quick trip down to Phx this coming week, to visit Athleta, Lucy, and run a few other errands.  

I did manage to sign up for Soma Half Ironman on Oct 20th in Phx. So it's my last big training race to make sure I'm ready, and test out this intensity vs volume training plan.  I also got to watch two of my WA friends Rock their Ironman Wisconsin today. Good motivation while I was stuck on the trainer. 

In other fun news- My nephew Tyler rocked his Cross Country Meet this week, He took off over three minutes on his race time. ROCKSTAR!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment