Sunday, September 22, 2013

Week Eleven of FC Coaching/Training—Time Trial Week (Re assessing Training Levels)

Disclaimer:  This blog is a documentation of my now second Ironman Journey for AZ Ironman 2013. I’m doing this race for a former patient, Sunny, who recently passed away this summer from a brain tumor. I hope that I can honor her well as I take her on my journey.   Format will be random, i.e. quick journal format, random thoughts, motivational quotes, pictures of random moments and memories along my journey. For the most part, it’s documentation for me and may not be to exciting for anyone else to read, but for those of you brave enough to ever wonder…could I do an Ironman or even just a triathlon?  I then offer you a firsthand account of what goes on in the mind of an Ironman age group triathlete including all the highs, lows, emotions, fears, rants, etc, etc.   Please forgive any spelling mistakes as I’m sure I am just happy to get everything written down, just chalk it up to fatigue from lots of training! 

Current Stats Overall:

SWIM:  ~166,312 Yds   
BIKE: ~ 1208.78 Miles    
RUN: ~   357.6 Miles   
Strength: ~ 24:55 hr/min
Other      ~ 11:06 hr/min (PT, Stretch, etc. )
Total Training Hours:  271:40 hours/minutes

Well, this week started off with another successful “redline” moment. I was out of work on Monday, and barely remember getting to the Y before I fell asleep. I woke up in the Escape about 30 ish minutes later. A bit freaked out that I was so tired, but don’t remember it. Thinking back I had a small cupcake at work with some other sugary snacks. I was at least feeling okay to swim. So I headed into the Y and got in my short and fast 1800 yds.  But man…I’m so done with redlining. This is getting really ridiculous and dangerous to boot from this little episode.  I hit the store and got some food. Once home I re-focused on what I need for nutrition for training. Ordered a book or two, got the “planned” nutrition that will be on the race course, and some other recommended items from my Ironman Coach.  All this redlining or Red Zone, makes me think I’m hypoglycemic as I know I’m not eating enough calories to support  the additional 1500 plus I am burning from training.  Adrenal Fatigue, has been brought up by a few close friends. I also got a book called Primal Blueprint. That’s the second person who told me about that book. So I got it. Now to read it. J



Tuesday my goal was to be super focused and diligent for nutrition as it was my time trial day for running.  I was thankfully out of work on time and I changed there to get over to Iron King for my run.  I had to do seven miles. With two for warm up..Three all out for time trial, and then two for cool down. So seven miles total.  I’m happy to report no red lining moments today. I was out on the trail and got in my two mile warm up. I then stopped, stretched for a minute or two. And then I began my run.  The plan.  Run three miles as fast as you can. Keep and even pace or slightly faster pace for the second half.   I ran a 9:59, 9:32, then 9:09 mile pace. 28:37= 9:32 pace. Not my best, but considering I wasn't even running a month ago and was nursing a crappy hip with PT. I was ECSTATIC!!!  I was able to finally do my first time trial in running eleven weeks into training.   So I will take it!  I established my first set of running paces for training in Easy, Marathon, Threshold, Interval and Repetition. Now I am not running blind, I have a pace to work on. I’m going to still be careful with my hip though. And keep up with exercises when I feel even a tweak if needed.

Wednesday I was back at the pool in the Y. I was happy I only had to swim tonight as I was tired, and a bit nervous that I was doing my longest swim since before I started training. I needed to do 3300 yds with no pull buoy. I did it in 1:16. I got thru the 3 x 400 with out to much issue, but I was so tired for the 7 x200, my form was failing. So I pulled out my pull buoy and used it on every even one. I probably should have stopped. But I was determined to do it. And the Pull Buoy helped a lot.  I was home and after my recovery drink, I had a stuffed bell pepper I just recently started making..yumm and was in bed early.

Thursday I was expecting a very long day. After work I had my time trial for the bike, a two mile run, and then meeting with my friend for the final time before her baby shower next weekend.  Work was busy as the final prep for Rehab Olympics on Friday was in full swing. We also found out that they were bombarding us with 7-8 evals. Luckily we were able to make it all work.  But I was out of work in the nick of time, and once home, got on the trainer with minutes to spare for time.

The plan was 1:30 with a warm up, then 20 minutes all out. I was hoping to do it on the road. But due to time constraints, and to compare it to my first one that I did on the trainer, I stuck with that.  My time trial was better!! I was averaging 17 mph, I had a avg cadence of 93, and I did 5.7 miles. I was also breathing so hard by minute 16, I was wheezing, or something along that line, as my dogs started to get freaked out and started barking at me thinking something was wrong! LOL. I wish I had video as I panted back to them…”stop, wheeze,  it’s okay, wheeze, wheeze, I’m fine wheeze wheeze”.    I had a higher avg heart rate by about five beats per minute. I’m not sure if that is good or bad, but it’s what I was able to do. So then I was off the bike, dogs locked up, thru on my running shoes and out the door for a quick two mile run at no faster them my Marathon Pace. Wow, that was hard, because I wanted to go faster. Which means I must be doing something good with training, I had some left in the tank. But that then makes me question..did I go as hard as I could on the bike TT? Yes, I think so. I don’t think I could done more, unless I wanted to pass out.   Quick shower and off to Prescott for the final preps for my good friends baby shower, then I was home and asleep.

Friday I woke late, oops. But so happy it was a rest day, no training.  Today was Rehab Olympics at work. We have been doing it a few years now. A fellow PT who no longer works with us at MVRRH is the brain child behind this. We do mock events of the Olympics for our patients. Discus, Shot Putt, Marksmanship, Power Lifting. We start with a torch relay, with patients walking around the building carrying a torch, then handing off to the next patient, ending up back to the beginning. We have Chariots of  Fire and Eye of the Tiger playing on the loud speaker for motivation. And of course pictures galore!   The Medals Ceremony was also just as good, as all patients get a medal for their participation.  The looks on their faces is priceless.  It was so much fun!! I tried to really enjoy since it may be my last one at MVRRH.  Once home I rested for the night, watched a movie, napped on the couch. So nice to just do nothing.


Saturday rolled around and it took me a bit to get my body woken up and motivated to get on the road. But I was finally out the door at 8ish.  The plan was a five hour bike ride and a 4 mile run. I got it done, but it was by far one of my most mentally tough workouts to date. When I started, the wind was about 8 mph, not great, but manageable. By the time I got to the first turn It picked up…almost to 12 mph. (yes, I checked) I was fighting a headwind and having much difficulty keeping with my heart rate. Not to mention it was a frickin Grasshopper massacre on the ride. Every year we get invaded by locusts/large frickin grasshopper around mid to end of September. And there were so many on the road, I just couldn’t avoid them anymore. So I started counting how many I ran over…I lost count after 100.   Then as I was coming down the Jerome 89A a Jeep passed by me going 55 mph and was so close I could have reached out and touched it. It didn’t even slow down, I let out a stream of swear words. And was just so unsettled and frustrated by the wind by then. I then turned onto my side road that I feel safe on, and ran over a rattlesnake, thankfully dead. But at the turn around…I got hit with winds that were now around 15mph. I was at a standstill. I was so mentally exhausted. I was almost in tears. I kept trying to regroup, and when I hit the end of the road, I knew that I needed to do it again so I didn’t have that feeling. So I stopped, I got in some nutrition and fluids, and headed back out. Once I hit the turn around, and I got hit by the winds again, I then came upon a live rattlesnake where I almost hit it! But luckily it zipped away quickly. The winds kicked my butt., but I was a bit better mentally, but tired. I pushed harder then planned, and felt it. I stopped at the end, knowing my 10 mile ride home would be all headwinds, and I drank down a Coke I had with me, and more nutrition. I headed out and home, by the time I got home, I was only at four hours, so I got on my trainer to finish out hour five and regroup.  I was sore, I was better mentally, but still not to happy. When I finished  I got on my running shoes, and was out the door for my 4 mile run. Which keeping it at the marathon pace was good, cause I was tired, but I finished.
Once done…(breath sigh of relief here) I ran to the store quickly to get bags of ice for my ice bath, and dinner for later. While I got my ice…the picture shows I was craving something else then food. Maybe I was a bit dehydrated?? 



The ice bath was much colder then planned. I literally was shaking by the time my ten minutes was up. But I knew I would be happy later, and I was, I didn't have much fatigue at all in the legs. Rest the rest of the night, movie, sleep.

Sunday, my final day of this week. I was so happy I didn’t have to do my long ride today and that it was done. I actually slept in longer than planned, but it was so nice with the windows open and the fresh fall air blowing in. I was soaking up that moment for as long as I could.  Got up around 8:30ish. Got ready and made it to the Y by 9:30ish. I was in the pool for my “open water” swim since I have no where around here. And I got in 2150 yds in 45 minutes. I then headed over to Peavine for my 1:55 hr/min run.  The wind was NUTS..18 mph. I was so happy I didn’t do Tempe International Tri today, I would of pushed myself harder then I should, and I don’t want anything to get reinjured. So I was off on the trail, nice sunny, breezy day. Got a few pics of the lake looking wonderful in the Dells. Only on snake on the trail today. I was using a new nutrition that the coach recommended OSMO. And It seemed to work for my “active hydration” during my run. I was to run at my Marathon and Easy Pace, which in the beginning was pretty easy, but by the turn around and with the 18 mph winds, I was only able to do 2 x 10 for the main set. But I got it done.  I was also able to enjoy a very icy cold water after my long run, this HydroFlask waterbottle is AWESOME!!!  Four  hours later and I still had all my ice!  Nice !!
Today is the first day of Fall. My FAVORITE season!!! I saw some leaves already changing today outside the Y. Not sure if I just missed them in my redlining haze J or they turned since I was there last. But it was nice that the temps were in 70s for my run. And it was a beautiful run on the trail with the colors and the water. I’m not sure, but everything felt just a bit brighter today. That nice…cause I could use it.









Next week brings on Week Twelve of training.  I now have new established Biking and Running  Heart Rate Zones, that could make this week go a bit tougher.  But the only times that have increased are my running. My bike this coming weekend is less in time. Thank goodness!!!   

JOURNEY
Look for the Joy
In your Journey.
It’s Always There.
Even on the Bumpiest Roads.

-Karen Salmansohn


No comments:

Post a Comment