Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Transition (Two Weeks)


Sorry, posts are a bit delayed....


The Transition (Two Weeks)

Disclaimer:  This blog is a documentation of my now second Ironman Journey for AZ Ironman 2013.  Format will be random, i.e. quick journal format, random thoughts, motivational quotes, pictures of random moments and memories along my journey. For the most part, it’s documentation for me and may not be to exciting for anyone else to read, but for those of you brave enough to ever wonder…could I do an Ironman or even just a triathlon?  I then offer you a firsthand account of what goes on in the mind of an Ironman age group triathlete including all the highs, lows, emotions, fears, rants, etc, etc.  I have dreams of one day making this into a book, so that when I’m old and gray…I’ll have wonderful memories and also fulfill one of my bucket list items, to write a book.  Please forgive any spelling mistakes as I’m sure I am just happy to get everything written down, just chalk it up to fatigue from lots of training! 

It’s the last week of June, first week of July. Normally, it would be in the middle of Month Five.
However, I’ve gotten the official start date of my Team FC training, beginning July 8th.   I also have a PT appt on July 3rd. So really I’m in “transition mode. I want to get healthy so I can be my best for the start of training. I want to do what is necessary for PT to get healthy. So I’m not busting my ass to cause more pain. I’ve yet to really run since June 14th ish. I sound like a broken record when I say it’s DRIVING ME NUTS!!!  But better to be slow now and recover then make it worse for the Race.

Also, please note, pictures will be posted at a later date.  I’m currently not able to download at this time.


Current Stats Overall:

SWIM:  ~123,612 Yds   
BIKE: ~ 621.44 Miles    
RUN: ~   253.41 Miles   
Strength: ~ 23:55 hr/min
Other      ~    4:25 hr/min ( PT, Stretch, etc. )
Total Training Hours:  181:14 hours/minutes


I’m not going to talk much on these two weeks of training. It was more of a maintaining two weeks. I got in some good swims of 2450, 2500,  and 3200 yds.  Biking I got in my first 4 hour ride for 61 miles. It was a SUPER HOT day, as I finished my ride in 103 degrees. YIKES!! What was so strange about this ride was that there was absolutely zero wind on my ride. That never happens for me. It was just so ungodly, sticky hot. Which explains the horrible sadness and tragedy  of this day.  It was June 30th, 2013. Which will now forever be known as the Prescott 19 and the horrible loss of life of 19 of our Granite Mountain Hotshot Crew in Yarnell fighting a fire that went out of control. Looking back, I remember around three ish, when the winds just became wild around the house, they would go every direction. I also looked back at some photos I took of posting of the weather channel and how hot it was. It was weird, that every time I looked, the wind was going a different direction. Which explains the wild conditions of the fire, and how it overtook these brave men. 

In my second week of training, I focused on swimming and biking, the only two things I’ve been able to do.  I got in some good workouts between both of them. My most favorite? I swam 4000 yds!!! The longest I’ve ever done in a training session!!! And I finished it in 1:31 minutes. So it was close to my IM time of 2011.  But the most important thing of this week was my PT evaluation. FINALLY!!  I went in on July 3rd.  I had two pages of detailed information for my PT for what was going on with my leg, and my issues, goals, needs.    I got the full assessment and the final diagnosis?  I had an anterior rotated pelvis on the right, causing a “locked” SI joint in the back and a severely inflamed Glute Medius Tendon.  After multiple testing, ROM measuring. I was to one session.   Oh, how I wish I would of pushed harder for PT back in May. I could of avoided all this pain and misery. GRRR. But At least I’m on the road to recovery. But orders are to do PT exercises 2x a week. And no running for about a month L. But at least I know what is wrong, and I am now able to focus on how to fix it. I also have orders to get new shoes that are recommended. Ironically,  I have the trail runners from Brooks already. And I’ve also ran in the Saucony, the Brooks, and the Asics.  Must be my body knew what I needed!!  I drove down to Phx on Sunday to exchange my nice shoes that I had waiting in the box, for a new pair of shiny, “bright” , blue Brooks.  They are a neutral shoe, and usually I do stability. Once I get running in them I’ll see how it feels. This was also the day the Prescott 19 was brought back up to Prescott. In a 19 hearse procession. It took over four hours for them to come back from Phx. They also came up thorough Yarnell where they perished. I think only fitting to come home the way they headed out to the fire.  What a heartbreaking and emotional scene. I was honored to watch them go by and pay my respects. 


Also part of the “transition” is that I’m heading to Billings, Montana for a month to work at our sister facility. It will be interesting to say the least since I’m also taking my dogs with me. I have a gracious host who is letting me bring them and stay in her home with a nice backyard for them to run around in. Here’s to the true test of “traveling” as a therapist, without quitting my day job to see if I like it, and the dogs can handle it.


In other news good news, I got to see SUNNY!!!  I was in contact with her husband, Steve. And I went over to their home on Sunday evening, just after I returned from getting my shoes in Phx for my PT.  She is now home on Home Hospice. She is bed ridden. But her amazing spirit still fights to shine through and she still has that beautiful smile that I remember. I brought with me a photo of her name that I put on my bike. I could tell that she was excited to see it, even if she didn’t say much. And I was so happy I could offer her a smile and give her a great BIG HUG!!!  I plan to visit when I get home and go see her and Steve again. I pray God keeps her going strong, being the fighter that she is. And that she has an amazing time with her dtr visiting and meeting her very first grandchild.  I pray God gives her some great moments with her dtr and her grand baby. Her Caregiver has been a blessing, I can tell from just watching her work with Sunny, that she’s just what she needs. And she is so helpful to Steve as well. He is one amazing husband to that beautiful woman.  May God Bless them Both in this difficult time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment