Thursday, July 4, 2013

Physical Therapy and the Road Back...Slowly

So, I have not been able to run without pain for a good three weeks now, and have had to take running out of my training since the middle of June.  I was just getting to the point that I could hold a 10 min pace in Zone 2 for over 6 miles. I was really proud of that. Now, I feel like I'm back to square one. Boo!!!  At least I still have been able to swim and ride without pain, so I have added more of that into my training schedule. 

Recap of the "injury" : 
After a steroid injection in May, to my inflamed tendons (which helped for three weeks)...and then a pack of 6 day prednisone (and not working out for a straight 4 days, which did nothing, but now make my back crack uncontrollably), I became the whiny therapist and literally begged the doctor, finally, for a PT order that I had requested since the first shot in May.  After a two week wait, I got in on July 2nd. My PT, let's call him my "Ironman PT", as he has worked on me several times in the past for my shoulder, back injury, etc. , hooked me up with some PRI (Postural Restoration Institute) Exercises.  This technique is a integrated approach to treatment of patterned Thoraco-Abdominal Pathomechanics. When you first hear about it...you may think....What the heck does blowing into a balloon have anything to do with fixing my leg? Well. I 'm here to say, however "weird" it seems. It works. Basically, everything is connected in the body.  And I must say,  I feel better after just two sessions. 

My PT assessment...an anterior rotated pelvis on the right, causing a completely "locked SI joint", which, causes my pelvis to not rotate properly with movement. And in addition..causing a severely inflamed Right Gluteus Medius Tendon, which now, looking back,  really has been inflamed since training for my Iron Girl race last December, as I recall having lots of pain on my right when training for that 10 mile race. 

So after some manipulation of my hip and balloon blowing I'm already feeling better....the plan is doing PT home exercises 2 x a day, limit my running for a month. But when I do run...I must do PT exercises BEFORE I run. I also have a recommendation for "specific" shoes to assist me with my recovery. Ironically 4 pairs of the "recommended" brands, are shoes I have worn in the past. Go figure, at least I was doing something right with out knowing it!! Guess I have a road trip coming up soon to Phx before I leave AZ. 

I'm hoping that with my official Ironman Training starting with my new Team FC Coach ( insert 'whoo hoo!!!"of excitement here), I'll be back in the game in no time. 

Half Ironman in Aug is out. I'm not willing to push before I'm ready. I'm fully focused on AZ IM for November. 

In other news....I'm  planning on heading over to visit Sunny this weekend. She is now at home with her family, getting Home Hospice. 

1 comment:

  1. Know the feeling Kristie. I am a true believer in Postural Restoration approach, especially when you've tried other routes and they aren't working. Not everyone has a rotated pelvis and hip issues like this, but I know that I do. I first tried PR back in 2005 when I needed some help when training for my first 1/2 marathon. I loved my therapist. Then I moved, traveled, and got away from the exercises and my great therapist...and I am looking still for that therapist when the times allows. I didn't know you could run pain free? Ha. I guess I've always had pelvic pain on right, left hamstring "pull" discomfort...since 2005. Not always severe, but enough to be a pain and not allow me to progress as I would like. Anyway, I know how you feel except I know it's even worse for you because you are on a time crunch with training. Good luck with your rehab. Sounds like you have a great therapist! Keep at it girl. Laura

    ReplyDelete