Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Week Two: Ironman Training Aug 29th – Sept 4th, 2011

Well, this week was tough, I completely went on a mental and physical burnout and completely felt crappy the whole week. I had a rough time getting even some of my workout in. I was warned of this and that it would happen several times during my final training up to the Ironman. So I tried to take it in stride but it’s very hard because I push myself. I was basically feeling like I wanted to quit and just give up. It was a very emotional and mental journey this week. I haven’t felt this negative about training.
Monday—Got in my swim and run. One hour each. But I was really sore and really tired tonight, I had to take some pain pills.  My arm was pretty sore at the end of my swim, 2500 yds and I was feeling pretty discouraged. I finally signed up for Y membership and after swim, when and did my run on the treadmill tonight. Did a one hour run with  4 x for 5 min in a Zone 3 HR.  My back was hurting again..GRRRRRR I hate torn ligaments and bulging discs.  It’s the worst my back has hurt since I injured it back in Nov last year. Really letting myself get down because of this, making me feel like I can’t do this and it’s going to make me not complete my goal.  Back was 6/10 after everything tonight..hence more drugs…and less sleep. 

Tuesday---  Completely  crappy feeling today. I was super sore, so I came home and slept. I skipped my work out on the bike. I just couldn’t muster up the motivation to get even on the trainer.  My body likes to do this, when things get over emotional or to tough….my body just shuts down and I sleep, I can’t function or do anything. It a way to avoid over confrontation or I just get to the point where my brain can’t handle the overload and shuts down.  
Wednesday—Today I had the day off. So I took this time to sleep in until 9am. Then I got up and moved around a bit, and layed back down and slept some more another 3 hour nap. Then I managed to get to swim class and get in 2500 yds.  And do an easy 30 min run. 

Thursday—Today I did an hour of strength training at the clubhouse with Nicole. I changed up my workout a bit, as my back always seems to act up when I strength train. I’ve already decreased the amt of wt due to my back, and I’ve stopped with regular squats. So today I incorporated my TRX training. It felt pretty good. I could feel it working. I didn’t feel sore in my back, as much as I did in my arms and shoulder blades.  

Friday---  Did a one hour bike on trainer..couldn’t figure out why my shoulders felt so sore, then I remembered my TRX training yesterday. Oops…  but the time felt good as it was an easy ride
Saturday--- got to the pool in early am and WOW, my shoulders were screaming at me. My blades were super sore (TRX day two) and I got in my # 3 workout but oh it hurt.  My run was better in the heat, but my back cont to bother me a lot. My Right IT band felt pretty darn sore as well. Took me two hours to run 9 miles.   Went out for sushi for the first time with one of my training partners…I actually like some of it! Was surprised.  But I was having a really tough time sitting in the chair cause I was really hurting in my back…so once again I’m home taking the hard pain killers.  GRRRRR….I don’t want to do that! 
Sunday--- Wow..so here was the worst Day…rock bottom. I woke up so sore and in pain that I wanted to cry. I just couldn’t get myself to get out of bed at 6 am and get in a 3 hour ride.  I kept trying to tell myself that I just need to take the day off. It isn’t going to affect me in the long run by missing a day or two. And I kept remembering back to my training books on how it’s better to listen to your body and take a few days off then to try and push through it and get injured.  So I slept in and went and saw The Help with Nicole. Was good, but not exactly a comedy which I could of used. I came home and took another long nap.

Only got in 8:45 hr/min training this week.  Really bummed about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment