Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Some Bulging Discs and a Torn Ligament"

Hmmm...so that was a voicemail I got the other day regarding my MRI on my back. I was just a bit disturbed. But it finished with "no change in treatment, and we'll see you on a follow up on the 29th"  So I headed off to swim class and had a good swim. I have had two docs look at my MRI since I got it (I asked for a copy of the disc) since I couldn't read it or know what the heck I was looking for. I have "two" bulging discs that I know of, so that explains the "some",  and saw where my torn ligament is. I've also been told that I'm okay to cont training for my Ironman, I have a better chance of hurting my back on another transfer, then training for an Ironman. I do feel better when I ride my bike in aero position, must open up my spaces in my bulging discs. I must admit that I've been going strong and steady, and "safely" with my training so far, I'm careful that when I start to get pain or sore, I slow things down and take more rest days than I'd like, but I'm learning. I also notice that since I got my dx I am more acutely aware of my injury. More psychologically I think, so the chronic pain that I've been having since Decemeber, I am more aware of lately.  I have had to pick up some more heavy pts at work and have been having a tech work with me to protect my back. Safety first! But that seems to be working well and I will continue to do so,I don't feel bad getting a tech to help, as the PT needs two people as well for transfering those pts as well. So, today I came home and instead of doing my lifting program for strength training, I took a 4 hour nap cause I was sore. I felt better when I woke up, and happy to say I avoided any narcotics. Wish I had my TENS unit that I had to return. I'm sure when I get my followup, the doc will re order it for me, so I don't have to rely on Vicodin to control my pain.
I notice I have the most trouble with running out side. I  seem to be okay on the treadmill, the bike and swimming, but the pounding outside gets me a bit. I tend to hit my limit around 45-60 min. Good thing training is more about the bike, and I get strenght off of that for running. I'm working on changing my training around so I swap one of my runs for a bike ride. Will have to do some rearranging. Now I wait....the 29th, just seem so far away. I am ready to see what else needs to be done now....

No comments:

Post a Comment