Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Shoulder Diagnosis.....

My Shoulder…FINALLY !!! I found a frickin PT up here who knows Triathletes!!!  Within my hour session, he essentially did another “eval” to assess my shoulder. Told me to throw away all the exercises the other PT gave me(three pages of crap in my humble opinion). ((Now, in her defense, she was not a sports related PT, she was still very nice.))    He then gave me a nice detailed description of what he thinks is going on. Which all of it makes COMPLETE sense. And proceeded to give me four exercises to do for a week, then come back next week to re-assess. I”ve done them twice already, and I already feel better.   He thinks I should be back in the water swimming within 3-4 weeks. Pending no further injures...ie falling down the stairs.  (insert HUGE SIGH of RELIEF).  Now to stop kicking myself for wasting almost a month on a PT that wasn’t sport related, live and learn and move on. 

On a good note, I really did use that time to focus on my bike and run, and I feel like I’m improving well there. I have good coaches comments to prove it!  That and the BASE supplement’s I’ve been using are super awesome!  


 With all the testing he did, he does not feel I have a tear  (thank GOD), I have strength, but it gets weaker as he tested each move 4-5 times.  I have my supraspinatus muscle getting pinched every time I am moving my shoulder, in extension, wt bearing, external rotation, flexion.  Risking impingement in Four different ways…I am the lucky winner of a very unstable shoulder.  

So…the diagnosis of what’s “off” ( feel free to chime in all my PT friends :) )


1.   Type II Acromion (Anatomy) 
2.   Weak Rotator Cuff (In External Rotation)   (Dynamic)
3.  Posterior & Inferior joint capsule tightness (Static)
4.  Thoracic spine had minimal to ZERO Extension causing my Scapula to go in anterior tilt   

All four of these is causing risk of impingement. Hence all the pain I have when doing movements.   

Hmmm… Go Big or Go Home.   Now I’m well aware of some of these, as several PTs who I worked with in AZ have told me about them over the years. He did an awesome job of describing it to me, in a visual drawing…as I’m a visual learner, and it all made sense.  Please don’t ask me to re create, it won’t happen.  I should of took a picture of the one he drew.  


So Basically, I’m now on the mend and starting the up swing of this injury. Finally.  It has really been getting me down, and I admit, depressing me. I feel as if I now have some control over the injury.  (Insert Happy Dance!!!) 

Now...off to do set number # 3 for the night!!



No comments:

Post a Comment