Thursday, February 12, 2015

Ironman Boulder: Redemption Round, Take Two


This is my Journey into the world of Ironman. It's my journal/documentation of the ups and downs of what it takes to be an age-group athlete training for an Ironman triathlon. This is more of a way for me to remember what I am doing over the course of the training season, as any Ironman Athlete can tell you, sometimes the days can blur into one training day of swim, bike, run after another. So, while some may not find this at all interesting, those that wonder...could I do an Ironman? do I have what it takes to do an Ironman? I give you a peek into my journey and days to complete my next Ironman.  Forgive any misspelled words/awkward sounding sentences. I'm pretty happy just to get them down on paper. Consider it a test of your mental skills to figure out what I'm saying. Hope you enjoy reading my journey.  I'll see you at the Finishline!!!






So it's February 12th, 2015. I'm exactly 170 days out from IM # 3 and 1/2. Yes, that's right. My last IM didn't go as planned. It ended at mile 102 on the bike, lying flat on the ground with my feet up and ice under my neck. Shivering in the shade and trying not to pass out from the waves of numbness and dizziness.  I had my first DNF at Ironman Boulder 2014. I made really good friends with the Medic ( who I affectionally call Medic Angel Dan).  This is my finisher photo from last year. I hear he will be back next year to chase me around the course. This time...I'll high five him at the finish line.





Never in my wildest dreams, did I think this would ever happen. I felt like I was in the best shape of my life for racing and IM. I hired a coach for the first time.  I felt strong, I felt ready. But in the end, it just wasn't my day.  ( Scroll down to see my full race report from Aug 2014).    


 So, a lot of changes have happen since this race. I decided I HAD to make some changes. I quit my job, and started traveling therapy.  I kept my coach, because, I failed, not her. She got me ready to be the best that I could be and I know this year is only going to get better.   I finally bought a triathlon bike..... her name is Victoria (a.k.a. Goddess of Victory). 



Also, I'm including new nutrition in my training plans. More healthy eating, and I'm adding the BASE Performance regimen. I played around with it during my last 70.3  at Soma and had success with the aminos and the salt. I'm looking forward to seeing what the whole system can do for me. 

I made a pit stop along the way to Billings, stopping in Moab, UT.   I took a much needed three day R & R vacation and enjoyed a little hiking and mtn biking to recharge.  








Now I'm sitting in Billings, MT. I've had a bit of a slow start to my training, as I am getting adjusted to the "bugs" in Billings. Another words... I got my self sick with a head cold/sinus allergy crappy thing.  I am starting to feel better, but I'm still not 100%. So I'm trying not to overdue it and miss anymore workouts.  I hate looking at all that red.  It's a type A Ironman athlete's worst nightmare. 


But I have my training plan in hand, and Victoria is hanging out on her trainer. I'm signed up at the Y here in Billings, which had a major remodel. It's kinda like a spa now in the locker room. Individual lockers, individual showers, 55" big screen tv in a sitting area, a sauna, a hot tub.  All the good benefits of recovery, and "heat" training, that I'm going to need for IMB.  I'm STOKED!!  

I had some exercise induced/allergy induced asthma/breathing issues that also contributed to my DNF in Boulder. Before I left Prescott, and the recommendation of a SLP friend, I went to an ENT who diagnosed me with a vocal cord dysfunction. Which essentially, when under stress, my vocal cords close, making it hard to inhale. While they don't fully close, it's like I'm attempting to sprint while breathing through a straw.  Ironically, an SLP here at my new assignment just got back from a course on this and doing scoping in the throat to visualize the vocal cords, and needs some "volunteers" to practice on.   She's putting me on the schedule...and hooking me up with some exercises to getting this under control.  :) 


I'm ready to get this started!!!  I'm looking forward to KILLING it this year!!  

I have more to say, but for now I'm going to stop. I always end my blogs with an inspirational Quote. For my first blog of the 2015 season....This is what I leave you with.



No comments:

Post a Comment