Sunday, July 20, 2014

Two Weeks and Counting!!! Taper Madness!!!

                  Distance             Time

Swim         124,152 yds       52:30 Hr

Bike            1317 Miles       103:26 Hr

Run             308.43 Miles    59:11 Hr 
____________________________________

Overall                               215:07 Hr/Min






Ahhhh.....taper, I'm one week into taper, and two weeks out from my 3rd Boulder Ironman. This time in two weeks. I should be about 1/2 way through my 26.2. I'll be about 11-12 hours into my race, running on the Boulder Creek Path. Taper is a funny thing.  You are so darn happy to FINALLY be in taper, because all your hard work is finally done. And you FINALLY, FINALLY have an end in sight, The race is near.  And then your body decides to do crazy things to you.  You become so tired, that you feel more tired then when you were training. It's your bodys way to start recovering and get you ready to go for race day. Then your brain plays tricks on you, "why are you stopping?" "Are you sure your ready?" "Maybe you should do just a little more?"  "I'm tired, lets sleep" "I'm hungry, lets take down that pizza"  "wait, there's ice cream in the freezer?  how long has that been there?"    "wait...what day of the week is it?" 

My Brain, in combination with Ironman Fatigue Mood. Also has a Taper Mode. It. Forgets. Everything.   For example, here are some fun things that happenend my first week of taper. 

My friend, had a birthday on the 17th. But when the day rolled around, and I saw some friends wishing him happy birthday on the 17th on Facebook. I texted him and said.  Birthday? It's your birthday? It can't be, because I know it's on July 17th. And I'm either seriously messed up with training or I got the date wrong..."   Ten minutes later, before he responds... My next text.   "Umm.. yes, Yes I am messed up considering I think it's JUNE 17th. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!, We will celebrate....after my race. So I can actually know what day it is. 

My body also decides everything hurts, my back pain doubles and i get zingers down my leg. My knee gets more tweaky, and well, my darn asthma decides to return for the hell of it.  All I can say to that is, get it all out of the system now, because I'm not letting any of that stop me from having a good race. 

Ice Cream....When the hell did I buy that? and how long has it been in the freezer?? I really could of used some chocolate the other night.  Ohhhhh...hey look!! Thin Mints!! That's right! I'm bringing them to Boulder to enjoy after my race. :) 

I am now on a first name basis with several of the waitresses at Left-Ts Steakhouse down the street. they now ask..."do you want your usual?"
 
I wonder how long the new sign has been up, less then a half a mile from my house. Luckily the owner at Left-Ts tells me, it just went up last Wednesday. Okay good, I'm not losing my mind...yet. 



I just realized that I forgot I had Blueberry Pie in the fridge...(pause)...now eating said pie....I burned 1966 calories today. I think Im safe to eat it. 

Fourty minute naps in the car,  sitting in the parking lot of the YMCA, is very acceptable as a pre workout nap.  Yes, this happen both Monday....and Wednesday. But I reallly enjoyed listening to the rainstrom on Monday. it was very soothing. 

It's also was a great four hour nap on Thursday when I got home from work.  Turned that day into recovery.

You unintentionally bare some of your soul on Facebook, and get more responses of support then you ever imagined.  Thanks by the way :) 

When Fatigued, Attempting to put on your Compression SKINS Recovery gear....can get a bit tricky. The tights are okay, but the top requires you to be either a contortionist or double jointed. Needless to say, the dogs freaked out a bit when I got stuck and was jumping around the bedroom trying to get the top on, I won't deny or confirm some hysterical giggling was also heard, along with some cussing.   



Distraction is my middle name.  Mmmmmm the blueberry pie is very tasty.

I'm sure there were more, but I honestly.   I Forgot at this moment. 


  So this first week of taper brings, finally a first week of doing all my workouts that were scheduled. Now, I know, sometimes you can't make it always work. But I was happy to have the Training Peaks show all green for all workouts completed.  I has a week or two with some Red mixed in for not completed, and man, does that mess with your mind.  So I'm happy to report I got them.

Monday ---

Today started with, as mentioned, a nice pre workout, 40 min nap during a thunderstorm at the Y. Then when I got into swim, I was just so tired. That I could hardly lift my arms. I know part of this is due to I got in my long bike ride on Sunday.  So going 1:20 min with no stops, and no assist with pull buoy, etc was tough. I ended up getting in about 2000 yds with nothing, but then mixed in the last 1550 with the buoy, doing 250 without/250 with, until time was up. I also was noticing my shoulder was bugging me. My tendonitis felt like it was returning, so I taped it up with Kineso tape and it got me through okay. 


Tuesday-  Home from work and taped up my knee with Kineso tape and off I went on my 1:10 run with  90 degree heat. Good training for Boulder.  I kept the intensity down a little bit per coaches orders. Other then writing this. The only thing I can really remember about this workout, is that I was done by 5 PM. The earliest I"ve been down with a workout in like....months. 

Wednesday-  I got to the Y, got in my pre workout nap of only about 20 min, as the car heated up pretty quick. I got my swim in, but had to pull out the pull buoy again, and the Kineso tape on my shoulder. Home...dinner....bed early. 

Thursday-   Today was supposed to be my bike day. But when I got home from work, i wasn't feeling so hot from something I ate. So I laid down for a bit, which turned into about a four hour nap. I managed to get up and change my plan to day off :). Then, honestly , I went back to bed.  I ate half a bag of crackers, because I was still not so good with my stomach.  

Friday--- DAY OFF From work!!  But not a rest day really for me.  I got my BRACES OFF TODAY!!! 



I'm no longer a metal mouth!!!  I got a permaent retainer placed on my bottom teeth. I then headed out and got some much needed errands done while I waited for my other retainers to be done by 1:30 pm. I picked up some items from the store, I got some stuff for the dogs. I got some of my training food for Boulder for race day. I got a coffee to celabrate my braces being off.  I got my haircut, finally after about 4 months, it was in dire need. My split ends were getting split ends.  Then back to get my retainers.  Home to do my 2 hour bike ride. Watch Movie, rest and bed. 

I must of been feeling pretty emotional with the excitement of my braces...finally coming off. As I posted a pic on Facebook with some  personal thoughts. Which I wasn't really trying to gain any sympathy, but somehow, I got some really sweet comments from my dear friends all over the US. Bless them for never letting me feel sorry for myself. I cried reading those comments. It was a emotional day. 



Saturday-  Woke today, and noted I slept wrong with my back, as I had a weird twinge in my low back, anytime I moved my right leg, it's shoot across the back, almost making me feel like It was giving out. and shoot a bit down my right leg. GRRRRRR  Made it through the day with work. Then once home. I got my new shoes to try out. Debated if I should run, but I decided i would just try it, and take it easy. I ended up doing okay. I did back off the intensity. The real problem happened around an hour or so out. when my Exercise/Allergy induced Asthma decided to make a surprise appearence in the middle of my run. I could tell immedeiatly once I breathed in, that what ever bothered me last March/April was back, so I slowed down for a bit and walked, then easy ran my way home. I used my inhaler and just sat for a few minutes to make sure i could keep going. i had 45 minutes left. So out the door i went, I got in my last 8 min run at and easy 9:30 pace. But I noticed that my heartrate was all over the place. Which of course is a side effect of the inhaler, being tachycardic. So I had to nix my last 4 x4 fast pace runs. I noted that everytime I walked I was okay and went into zone 1 for HR. But the minute I started an easy jog in the 12:00 pace, which was super easy, i could watch my heartrate shot up into the zone 4-5-6 within 20 seconds. So my last 35 minutes became focused on just running at a comfortable pace, and trying to keep my HR in the Zone 4. But I ended up walking more than running.  Lesson Learned: Always take your inhaler now for running. GRRRR  But then if you must take it, your planned workout is really screwed.   Home, Stretch, Hot Shower, Recovery....tights.  Dinner, Sleep.





Sunday-- Well, I was happy to have only a 4:30 ride today. But I apparently was also happy to sleep in.  I slept through all my alarms, only to be woken by the dogs jumping on me to wake up. I got out the door around 9 ish. But that's okay in the end, because I needed to train in the heat to prep for race day. I noticed the moment I got on my bike and began to pedal, I felt my back twinge again, and again. Oh....crap. But I just focused on going slow and warming up. As long as i was going easy, and using my legs to power me on the bike, not the back, it was okay.  But I had to stop every 15-20 miles and get off the bike and do some stretching on my hamstrings, and back. I kept my salt tablets to every hour and a half. and I once again was out of all bottles of fluid on the ride, twice. I was so hydrated at the beginning, that I made a pitstop behind a tall clump of weeds. Hey when you got to go, you got to go.  I for the most part did okay, but the brain started freaking out with my back. So after I stopped at the gas station and refueled for a few minutes. I headed out and went up the hill by Williamson Valley Rd. I was okay, but i really couldn't power at all with my back, it felt like it was giving out. So I turned around and headed home.


 I was nicely aided with a 15 mph wind all the way until i got to Fain Rd. Then it turn and I had a lovely 15 mph headwind. Which slowed me down considerable. So I really just focused on what I would do if this happen during race day.  Let's pray it stays calmer, because I was going butt ass slow.  I ended up taking an extra 20 min to get home. I also, got pretty toasty on my back. So much for thinking the 50 SPF would work. :(      Now, when I got about 12 miles out, I had to take another rest/stretch break. From here I was pretty set that I wasn't going to be able to run for my brick when I got home. But as the last miles rolled by, my back started to feel a bit better. So when I got home. I changed, and got on my new kicks to try again. I did stretch out and  put my feet up on the wall for about ten minutes. Then I headed out and got in my 40 min. Which some where I got confused and it wasn't until I was five min out that I realized it was 40 ...NOT 45. So I got a few extra min in my run. But I stopped a lot under the trees, as it was hot, my back was already fried, 








and I even put on more sunscreen.  The arm coolers are giving me some new tan lines too, but they are helping with the heat, so I really don't care.  I seem to be having an allergic reaction to the sun too. So I got some sexy, hive like spots on my legs where my bike shorts meet.
 It's happen in the past, nothing hurts, just ugly to look at.   They should go away in a day or two.   Home...Store for Ice, Then Hot shower, Call home. Then Left-Ts for dinner. Nothing like steak and blueberry pie to make all right in the world.  Home. struggled into my compression clothing (giggle, giggle). Called Home. and now here I am. Finished for the night. Eating the rest of my pie. and ready for bed. Can you tell I'm done? I'd try and say something more insightful, but the brain is just not firing on all cylinders right now.  So..... Two weeks and counting. TWO WEEKS!!!!  



                                                                                                                     I CAN, and I WILL


   

No comments:

Post a Comment