Sunday, May 25, 2014

Month Three Boulder Ironman Training…Forty was supposed to start asagood decade, not a challenge. Just Breathe....really just breathe!!





Swim:   62,379   yds          27:35 Hours
Bike:     499.4 Miles           43:05  Hours
Run:      147   Miles            30:37  Hours

Overall Training  Time:        101:15 Hours


One of my friends jokingly told me to watch out, when I hit 40, it all starts going downhill. Well, That’s exactly what this last month has felt like.  My coach though, told me that its crap, and that I automatically get to subtract 10 years for being an Ironman. I’m so I've decided I'm going with that! But, I’m realizing that my recovery had to change. I have to dedicate more time to my recovery, in addition to the training. I am also realizing possibly that the inhalers that I’ve been put on, are causing some side effects, including more fatigue.  On a good note, my blood work came back excellent, and the allergy panel?  Zero things I’m allergic to. But this then leads to the question of what is causing all these issues with me?  Food? The need for a more detailed Allergy Test?  I’m thinking it’s time to go back on my strict Paleo diet to see if it’s something I’m eating. The inhalers seem to be still helping, so I’m trying to use them only for exercise, as my Doctor recommendation.

My first week of April brought on a full week of training completed. Finally, that made me happy, even if I was feeling crappy.   I got in my swim on Monday, my bike on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I had to do a swim and then a hill workout with repeats. The plan was to go run some of the Whiskey Row course but, I was running out of daylight, so I ended up doing this on the treadmill at the Y, which I was happy when I finished, but I was even happier to put on my Compression Hose, and wishing I had full length ones.  I was super happy for my day off, which when I came home. I laid down at 5 Pm and woke at 5:55 AM.  Wow!!  I skipped everything, dead to the world. Thank goodness I had managed to put out dog food, and left the doggie door open! I’m beginning to feel really tired, like I can’t get enough sleep again. I’ve had no appetite either, so I know I’m not getting enough nutrition again.  Friday, I got in my bike workout, and Saturday a nice easy swim and then rest for the day for Tough Mudder on Sunday.

Sunday - Tough Mudder AZ 2014

What FUN!!! I headed down with friends for Tough Mudder Sunday morning. When we go there, we had about 45 min to get checked in and drop off our stuff. Then we headed over to the start and got ready. We had to scale a wall before we could get to the start line.  I felt a little “tweak” in my left groin, but I was able to stretch it out.  While I was standing there, and the rest of the team showed up, I was suddenly aware I was the ONLY girl. There other two had bailed. Sweet, me and 6 guys who could easily run 7 min miles. I gave them the go ahead to not wait for me if they wanted to go ahead. Which, being great gentleman, none of them did. And they gave them self a challenge, to carry a 30 lb log (named Clarice) through the entire course. I had pre warned them that I couldn’t do anything that might jeopardize my Ironman training, so I let them have all the glory of carrying the “wood” through the course. I did take it thru a few obstacles.










 But it really was all the boys who took on that challenge and deserve that credit.  It was 12 miles, many walls ( like 7-8) that we climbed over, tackled some Funky Monkey Bars,  jumped in several pits of mud, ran up a wall of “Everest”, and then ran through some Electric Shock.  The only one that I didn’t fully get across was the one called On the Tip, where it was all upper body and you had to move horizontally across using only your finger tips, I made it half way, then I hit the water! But it was hot, and It actually felt good. The one that ended up giving me trouble without realizing it til later was running up the “Everest Wall”, which I did just fine, but when I went to swing my right leg up over the ledge with help from some teammates, I somehow pulled my left groin?  I’m not quite sure how I did it, but I slowly ran/jogged the last mile to the finish, and crawled through the electric shock J because I wasn’t going to run.   Once at the finish, we were hot, tired, and enjoyed our beer, showered off, changed, and headed out to dinner before heading home. I luckily didn’t have any issues with breathing, even with the wind picking up and blowing a lot of dust.  But I definitely was so dry from all the mud my skin hurt! And was wind/dust burned. But I had a lot of fun!!!   The boys got Clarice across the finish line and it donated a large amount of cash to the Wounded Warrior Project. And although I kept up with them fine, I’m guessing they could of gone a lot faster without me. But I so glad I got to do a nice 12 mile training run with some strengthening mixed in for my workout.  Thanks Truemudd for an awesome training day !! And letting this lone girl hang with you! 

Home and iced my groin which started to feel a bit tender. 

Week Two, Monday- I was back at the Y completing my swim workout, I was glad I switched my Sat Drills workout with my hard one on Monday. Because I knew my arms would be tired and they really were. So I got in  40 min of form work. Home and to bed. Tuesday, I was on my bike doing my high cadence workout. I’m not quite sure, but I notice that after this workout, I’m really feeling the fatigue of the week, so I got on my foam roller. After 30 min, it was pretty darn painful, but I felt so much better, and I actually got my IT Band to release on the right side. Now that was painful!!!    Wednesday, I was back to feeling crappy with not getting good sleep, and also feeling more allergy laden, “puffy”, and downright fatigued. I got to the Y and got in my swim, but stopped 400 Yards short due to my shoulder sore (from all the walls I climbed over for Tough Mudder I’m sure) and then I got hit with overwhelming fatigue again, just like “I could sit down and pass out and sleep fatigue”, I got dressed to run, and motivation poor I headed out to the Whiskey Row ½ race course to do and hour run. I made it exactly five minutes, before I suddenly got some sharp shooting pains in my left groin. What’s weird is that it wasn’t bothering me the last couple days, so I didn’t even realize that I had tweaked it back on Sunday. But I knew immediately that if I kept going, I would pay for it. SO I stopped turned around and walked back to the Escape.  I also was feeling the breathing issues. Dammit, dammit , dammit!!!!  This was a very low mental moment of my week. I got home, I iced my groin. I wanted to cry, but I was too tired, I wanted to make food, but I was too tired. I think I managed to eat some tuna fish from a package, and just went to bed.  Thursday, I was again exhausted at work, so exhausted that I failed to see that I worked Friday and not Saturday, and my boss had to tell me. I was convinced, since Tuesday, that I was working Saturday and had Friday off.   I was starting to feel like I was going a bit crazy. When I got home, I again, planned to walk the dogs, and ended up sleeping till 8 pm. Got up for a couple hours to do a few chores, but back to bed by 10 pm and asleep.  Friday, I made it through work, and once home, I got in a 1 ½ nap, then on my trainer for bike workout for 1 ½ hour and now to dark out, the dogs got neglected again. I did get my recover drink in, so I actually got a second wind, and cleaned the house up.   Saturday, I woke got my yummy crock pot meal cooking, and then off to take the dogs for a much needed walk. I was feeling good in my leg, looking forward to do my run workout, only to feel by the end of the walk, the leg hurting again. Dammit, dammit, dammit.  Here we go again. So, after some icing, I decided to hold off on the run, and went for my swim. Got in the 400 M that I missed on Wednesday, and then home to ice again. And relax and read/nap. At least I can swim and bike. So I’m not missing all my workouts. But I know I’m better to rest, and that I also know that I had to take off a full month in July last year, and finished my Ironman. This is no different, I just need to focus on rest, recovery and get it checked out if necessary.


So far, 40 has kind of sucked….GRRRRRRR  


Week Three-I'm Eight Weeks out to IRONMAN Boulder 70.3. Now this freaked me out a bit, and when I went and counted up the weeks, it was actually eight. I joked with my coach, she was freaking me out, as I counted it several times and it's nine weeks.  She however responded with a program that figures out the weeks, and indeed from that calendar it is 8 weeks. Whew...I'm freaking a bit. Especially with all these dam breathing issues, It's really getting me down and depressed. I'm sinking slowing in that pit of depression with not being able to do what I want to do. I can see how chronically ill people feel.  I find myself isolating from others, and just coming home and being alone. My chipper, smiling self...is becoming deflated...slowly...slowly deflated.  I. Just. Want. This. Shit. To. End.  I want to breath normal again.   

Monday I was off to the Y with a 3000 yd swim, my longest to date, and I actually did pretty decent. I'm not sure if it was by accident or if my coach is pretty darn smart. My training is increasing in intensity, and she has one of my hardest and fastest sets right at the beginning of the swim workout, and then "lightens up" the intensity, which then becomes easy for me to do, then I move back into higher intensity, hence, my 3000 yd workout felt good!  I'm liking them!  Tonight was the Blood Moon. I got home, took a nap and got back up to watch it around midnight. Soooooo Pretty.  But I paid heavily for it I think. Because, near as I can figure, I was outside for about 45 minutes, in the cold, fresh air.  Which wrecked havoc on my allergies/asthma. I went to bed seemingly fine. But I woke on Tuesday with nasty coughing to the point of throwing up several times, then just utter exhaustion. I had to call into work, I slept...ALL day, the times I awoke, I was just so tired I couldn't even lift my arms with out effort. So, I new that it was time to get on the phone to the doctor, time to get something else, cause what I'm on isn't working.  Wednesday I had to skip my workout also,  and Thursday was my day off. Friday I headed to the doctors at noon, (thank goodness she could get me in on Good Friday), I explained all my symptoms, expressed possible concerns with adrenal fatigue?  and continued issues with fatigue, breathing, allergies. constant draining. And begged for an allergy shot. Which I got right in the A$$.  and decided that the inhalers weren’t enough, she put me on Singular.  So  inhalers are now for just when I need them. Singular at night.  I did actually feel better as the afternoon went on.  I was able to do my Tuesday workout indoors on the trainer on Friday.  Because I didn't go to the Grand Canyon like planned on Saturday I did my Wednesday training session with  my swim and run. I swam at the Y, and then did the run a bit differently and ran on the Whiskey Row 1/2 Marathon course. I didn't worry about trying for speed, etc. I just ran, since I haven't ran since Tough Mudder with a stubborn Adductor muscle pull (thanks to my friend, Cathy, who has been graciously giving up her lunch time to ultrasound, massage and ice my leg for me). I just ran part of the course to see if it was even appropriate to complete this distance let alone with all the hills. :(   So off i went, I got the middle section of the course completed (7 Miles) in 1:26 hr/min. and I felt tired, really really tired. I forgot I was running up to above 6,000 feet elevation.  and I could feel it with every step I went up.  I'm so glad this is a "training run" and has nothing to do with trying to be fast. but I'm worried, I'm worried if I'm taking on too much with this dam breathing crap.  hmmmmmm   Sunday I got on my bike and did my 3:00 ride.  Nothing to exciting, except I've been afraid to get outside and on the road lately, especially if I get an attack. And after some debate with it being Easter Sunday, I decided it wasn't a smart idea to get on the road with all the people driving, who probably only drive this time every year, and shouldn't be driving. So needless to say, it was a long ride on the trainer. Longgggggggg Ride on the trainer.  As much as this week sucked, I only missed one workout. So I have to embrace just one workout at a time, and do what I can right now with the Faith that it will get better and I will be okay.   Two things I'm noticing about this weekend so far, one the allergy shot seems to be working with the meds...I am feeling better and breathing a bit better also.  Two, after Tuesday, I'm so utterly frustrated and pissed, I went back on my Paleo Diet/Meal Plan.  It's been almost two weeks, and I'm feeling better, I'm tired, but that's to be expected to not have as many of the "processed carbs" my body is used to, so it's been pretty tired with the hard efforts. But I've been enjoying Filet Minion and I've become obsessed with grilled brussel sprouts and my Sweet Potato Coconut Soup for my evening meals.
And I am feeling better. I realized that I'm not going to be able to stick with just this for training. I saw my Coach Joby, with his training bars that are more gluten free with white flour. So I'm planning to make those for training and try them out with my Osmo. But other than training, I'm sticking pretty much Paleo for the rest of my food. I'm also discovering I'm in love with Blackberries.  Lots and lots of Blackberries. :)  

And here comes recovery week....ahhhhh really? Blessed Recovery Week. I actually sort of have two weeks of Recovery as I have 5 weeks in this training chunk ( see nine weeks to Boulder 70.3!)  So I had Monday off, after work I was home, relaxing, walked the dogs, and made my soup and meals for the week. and to bed early, another attempt at helping with the fatigue battle.   Tuesday I was surprised at work with a "catch Up" day. So I had the last two hours of my day to do with what I wished, no treatments with patients. I could leave early, I could work on projects, I could do what I wished.  I took half to work on what I could with student stuff, and then left early.  Since I was early, I opted to do my Wed workout today, So I headed over to the Y for my swim, and ran for 45 min in the treadmill.  It was a bit rough, again making sure I got in all my nutrients I needed.   Wednesday was on the trainer when I got home and while not to taxing, it kicked my butt with breathing. How fast can an allergy shot wear off?  I didn't think to ask that question to my doctor. Some online research, makes me think I'm going to have to call her back up and maybe get another one soon.  Wednesday at work also found me with having to flex day off of work for Thursday. So  after I got home, and was doing my trainer workout, I realized that I could get a massage.  So got a hold of my Massage therapist and luckily she had a cancellation and I was able to get in on Thursday at noon.  Blissful Heaven!!! I was so stiff and sore the past few weeks, I even was using the foam roller and not getting out all the kinks.  That was a worthwhile investment. Even with the extra time she spent on me, all the knots weren't 100% worked out, but I felt a ton better then when I went in. I think I really would of needed another 2 sessions to get all the knots out.  I'll just have to wait until my next one next month.   My Ortho appt was another matter. My doc repositioned about half my brackets, and then I hurried to eat dinner before the pain really kicked in.  I'm hopefully on track to get my braces off in June. FOREVER!!!  Well, one can only hope. But since I'll be starting to travel, I won't really be able to do much. So fingers crossed, appointments move up to every two weeks and the final tweaks begin. Fingers Crossed.  Friday-  I had a switch this day.  I had hope happen today.  A change in the weather with a cold front coming in, somehow, blew out all the crap in the air that I've been allergic too.  And Holy Shit, I did my 1:10 hr hill work out in 20ish mph winds, and I was breathing NORMALLY!!!!   Like NORMALLY!!!  Now I did notice some minor issues, but it was more in my epiglottis area, and when I focused on relaxing it, it relaxed. I'm not sure what's going on, but man was I HAPPY!!! I felt almost normal!!!  I felt HOPEFUL!!!  My depression lifted a little bit today, and my spirit was Boosted!!!!  Hoping it wasn't a fluke, I went into Saturdays workout still a bit hesitant. And again I had a great 3000 yd workout. And my run was only hindered by the fact that I hadn't ran the distance in a while cause of my breathing. I felt good with my lungs today also!!!!  Now I did run indoors on the trainer, only because the weather change brought 28 degree weather with rain, snow, sun, and gust of wind up to 40-50 mph (which I witnessed through the window, from the safety of the treadmill at the Y) So I decided to make sure I was in a more controlled environment and not have any opportunity to get sick or injured. I’ve had enough.  And I managed to get in my workout, all of it!  :)  I was mainly fatigued because I haven't gone that fast for that long. But oh, it felt so good.  So I have some hope that once the allergy season finishes, I'll be able to go back to breathing normal.  It's only Temporary, which my doctor told me, but with the way I've been feeling for so long, I had a hard time believing that it was only temporary.  And now, I can feel Hope, I feel lifted. I know it may sound corny to say that, but I do, I'm starting to feel like myself again. My normal self.  Deep Sigh of Relief.  Just Breathe... Ahhhhhh  Just Breathe. :)  And Sundays training session rolled around, and I may have spoke to soon. Went out for my bike ride, and while I wasn't horrible, I started back up on all my coughing again, and through out the rest of the night. My transition run was okay, and I had to slow my pace down, so I'll still take that as a good sign. I may just need to get another allergy shot. I'll have to talk to the doc and see what the plan can be.  If  I can keep my breathing under control, then I think that my 1/2 Marathon Race next weekend will still be doable. It will be a "training" race, so I won't expect any awesome times.  I'll see as we get closer.  


Addendum:  Adding on Week "Five" of my training plan this week. Or what I like to call my "second recovey week". Which was much needed.  Monday I got in 3000 yd swim. I'm excited to say it's getting easier to swim that distance, which means I'll be in the best swim shape Ive ever been in all my years of training.  Tuesday I did my trainer workout and Wed I got in my long ride on my bike. Let me tell  you, doing a 3 hour trainer ride as its getting dark is some true mental training!, that ride was brutal, and very hard to stay focused when I just wanted to stop.  Thrusday was a nice rest day, in which I got in a great "nap" again.  Friday I picked up my packet for my 1/2 Marathon and got in my easy swim of 2400 yds. 

Saturday- Whiskey Row 1/2 Marathon. I woke feeling a bit nervous, but then I would focus and tell myself it's just a training run. Not a race. But of course I always want to do my best, challenge my self. I got up, breakfast, got ready and headed  over to Prescott. Once there, I got the rest of my stuff together and headed over to the race site with 1/2 hour to spare. I opted to not wear my compression tights, because it was warm. Thank goodness cause it was already warm.  I jumped in line at the bathroom and then headed over to the startline with ten minutes to spare. I got my Garmin and music ready to go. Then it was time, the guns went off and we were on our way!  I ran across the timing mat and started my 13.1 mile run.   I started out at a slower pace, I focused on just relaxing and staying within my comfort zone, don't push, don't push. First mile 10:30 pace, good, I proceeded to do this for every mile, just relax, focus on form. Stay within your limits don't push. I was pretty surprised that I was in the 10 to 11 min pace for the first four miles, then when I got to mile five and the elevation was hitting 5800 up to 6200, I started having to walk more. But I was pleasantly surprised that I could handle most of the hills, except for the really steep ones. I was able to keep a decent pace.  And it wasn't as "hilly" as I was expecting. I drove the course a few weeks ago, and basically freaked out. But as I was running it, there were breaks in the hills, where I was running a bit down hill or flat, so it wasn't so daunting. I was having fun.  I got to the turn around at 1:16 hr/min. And was impressed! I expected to reach the turn around in about 1:20 to 1:25 with the hills. But then I turned and headed down, I did my best to relax my run, do a fast cadence, but short stride, and my quads responded quite well with not much pounding. By the time I hit about five miles out, that's when the wheels started to fall off a bit. It was getting hot, like I was HOT!!!  Like I wish I was wearing a tank top.  I found myself dumping water on my head, front and back. I was also noticing that no one else was doing this! and I found my self searching for age of runners on their calf so I could find someone in my age group and stay with them.  So the downhills were fine, but I was getting hot to the point, that when I hit mile four, I was getting a bit dizzy. I also was getting a nasty stitch/spasm in my right side, so that was making me stop about two times to breath it out.  When I hit mile three I was on the up hill, I ran around the corner and ran into one of my co workers running the 10 K.  I hollered out " how did you do?" obviously not realizng that she was still running her race. She was also pushing a stroller. Badass in my opinion since the 10 K is also a pretty brutal course, and she was doing it for the first time. As I ran the last few miles, I ended up channeling American Woman, by Lenny Kravtiz , cause I could just listen to the beat and run to it. I had 25 min to get in 2 miles to make the 2:30 time. I wanted it, but I was hurting. So I just put the song on repeat and went for it. I was blessed with a group of guys at a car wash hosing anyone down that wanted it as we ran by. Which was nice and refreshing. I did have this one annoying chick  that kept seeming to run up to where I was, then cut me off, then stop and walk, then I'd pass her, then shed do it again. It was really annoying me, but I had no energy to blow away from her. Then I had another one, that no matter what I did, she kept cutting me off, and blocking me, like she was doing it on purpose, which I can't say if she was or not, but it' was annoying none the less. I finally made the last turn and headed down the last stretch of road, and after dodging a couple strollers  ran across the finish line in 2:29:17.  Made it!! and about 10 min faster then I was hoping for. I was very happy to be done. I got my sweet medal that was finally a nice one. I ran into some co workers who I chatted with a bit, as we were talking though, I began to have trouble breathing. So I had to walk over to a different spot, and cough/ almost throw up and just focus on breathing normally.  Which I finally did and rejoined the group just in time to see our other co worker fly by and roll in Second overall for the Womens Marathon. First was her training buddy.  It was a great race, we all had fun. The heat was the kicker though. Hung out for a bit with the group. I chatted with a guy who gave me the nicest compliment telling me he was watching me run and I got him at mile 9 1/2 and that I just had a really good steady pace and he couldn't keep up with me. That was nice, since that was when I felt like the wheels were falling off and I was suffering. Good to know I don't look like I feel at least :). After Jessica got her award, I  headed home to relax, nap and put on compression socks.  Tomorrow is a blessed recovery day...mmmmmmmmmmm.   I'm 6 weeks out from Boulder 70.3.  

If You're Trying To Achieve, There Will Be Roadblocks. I've Had Them; Everybody Has Had Them . But Obstacles Don't Have to Stop You. If You Run Into A Wall, Don't Turn Around And Give Up. Figure Out How To Climb It, Go Through It, Or Work Around It.  --Michael Jordan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment